The Like and Get Likes thread III

I saw those buildings EVERYWHERE when I was in Bulgaria. Then I saw some of them in Half-Life 2. A vast majority of them were identical to each other.

City 17 of Half-Life 2 was heavily inspired from Soviet era buildings:

5 Likes

Yes, those building templates were widely used by the URSS and satellites. The buildings weren’t good but also weren’t too bad, and Soviet city planning was quite sensible as people was supposed to reach all relevant services on foot or using public transportation and in sensible times (under 10 minutes to go to school, no more than 15 minutes of public transportation from healthcare, et cetera).

5 Likes

I remember living in this kind of building and it was good living. The school was indeed very close, 10 min walk, shops were few in 10 min walk also, basic medical treatment also 10 min. It was comfortable living. I think what you could want was a small garden if you previously lived in some more rural place, not in city, but the gardens were separate, near the facility where car parts were manufactured. People did not need cars. Bicycle was more than enough to move around city.

Meanwhile, in the east:

4 Likes

Time to go to sleep, but first I will share a interesting video… nighties lovelies!

Also: dogs, people, spy cameras, science experiments… in Soviet Russia one size fits all!

650 satellites at 5 tons a piece… that’s 650 launches with 650 rockets… it’s an amazing amount of work with a proven spacecraft design which did few things on its own but did them damn well.

4 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

4 Likes

Pretty good, and in browser. works on phones.

5 Likes

Looks interesting, will check! But now I’m going to sleep. Nighties lovelies!

Also: it’s not easy being robot…

…and drinking beer(?). The ad was filmed with actual BD robots performing in real time (minus drinking beer, the only fluid in them robots it’s hydraulic fluid).

5 Likes
  1. Dad, are we pyromaniacs? Yes, we arson.

2. What do you call a pig with laryngitis? Disgruntled.

3. Writing my name in cursive is my signature move.

4. Why do bees stay in their hives during winter? Swarm.

5. If you’re bad at haggling, you’ll end up paying the price.

6. Just so everyone’s clear, I’m going to put my glasses on.

7. A commander walks into a bar and orders everyone around.

8. I lost my job as a stage designer. I left without making a scene.

9. Never buy flowers from a monk. Only you can prevent florist friars.

10. How much did the pirate pay to get his ears pierced? A buccaneer.

11. I once worked at a cheap pizza shop to get by. I kneaded the dough.

12. My friends and I have named our band ‘Duvet’. It’s a cover band.

13. I lost my girlfriend’s audiobook, and now I’ll never hear the end of it.

14. Why is ‘dark’ spelled with a k and not c? Because you can’t see in the dark.

15. Why is it unwise to share your secrets with a clock? Well, time will tell.

16. When I told my contractor I didn’t want carpeted steps, they gave me a blank stare.

17. Bono and The Edge walk into a Dublin bar and the bartender says, “Oh no, not U2 again."

18. Prison is just one word to you, but for some people, it’s a whole sentence.

19. Scientists got together to study the effects of alcohol on a person’s walk, and the result was staggering.

20. I’m trying to organize a hide and seek tournament, but good players are really hard to find.

21. I got over my addiction to chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts. I won’t lie, it was a rocky road.

22. What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.

23. I went to the toy store and asked the assistant where the Schwarznegger dolls are and he replied, “Aisle B, back.”

24. What did the surgeon say to the patient who insisted on closing up their own incision? Suture self.

25. I’ve started telling everyone about the benefits of eating dried grapes. It’s all about raisin awareness.

EDIT:

Also: Why does my brain suddenly plays this theme song, in the middle of the night while I’m about to fall asleep after I have forgotten it for 26 years?:

It even made me remember the name of the walking tree character: Barktroll.

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Good night, lovelies. :heart:

4 Likes

Time to go to sleep… Nighties lovelies!

Also: RIP Douglas Trumbull…

His work as a master of SFX will not be lost like tears in the rain…

Bonus:

7 Likes

Time to go to sleep… nighties lovelies!

Also: let’s watch over space weather!

Orbiting Lagrange 5 point (L5) behind the Earth’s orbit, it will keep an eye on the Sun to spot hazardous activity before the solar rotation sends it our way. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

It looks very dramatic, for a single celled organism.

7 Likes

have a cup of puppy

7 Likes

Hayley: “Oh! Look! An adorable puppy!”

7 Likes

These Lagrange points. What is the significance of them, I wonder? :thinking:

Timezone lovelies. :heart:

6 Likes

Ouka the Flying Dog

This story really needs this…

7 Likes

It’s an impressive video in its own way… that cell is just going around then its outer membrane breaks apart and loses some of its inner parts… but keeps going and moving, until suddenly the membrane pops and all the innards scatter away and the little hairs stop moving, and that’s all. Gone in an instant.

It’s somehow difficult to judge whether a complex organism is dead or not. But in this case there’s no hint of a doubt.

And now I’ll got to sleep, not thinking of the literal billions of cells suffering exactly the same fate in my body, while others are born to replace them. Nighties lovelies!

Also: Starlink satellites doomed by hot air…

…literally. More gas than usual at higher temperature (= velocity) and that’s all for 40 out of 49.

7 Likes

Space weather: solar storms!

Its like spaceships (or rather satelites) have something similar with marine ships somehow. They can drift away from the course, because of a storm.

6 Likes

strange truck that rotates.

7 Likes

Clever design… it really hastens turnaround time for loading and unloading. Less time to turn around the dump so it faces the right direciton = less travel time = more earth moved per truck/day = saving money!

I guess it could be used for mining, too, but mining is into moving more stuff per travel…

And now, I’m off to bed! Nighties lovelies!

Also: not your usual woodworking video…

I wonder why they “age” it. What’s wrong with a brand new milk crate? :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Happy Valentine’s Day! :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes