The new design is clunky, a waste of space and lacks old features

Good luck with that. Have a look at the framework & solution provider of the forum.

1 Like

Why on earth would you want to do that?

2 Likes

I think the Sir and or Madam refers to a more terminal/tty/Lynx-esque experience, which isn’t actually a bad idea and would remove a great chunk of “fluff”-only javascript. Sure, it’s cached, but it still wastes resources RAM and CPUwise. Some of us really hate that.

This gives me an idea.

1 Like

Because infinite scrolling is horrendous? Imagine, if you will, you started reading a thread on here and it was 3/4 of the way down the timeline slider thing.

That thread then becomes really popular, so your post gets pushed further up, so far that its now at 1/4. There is a disconnect between where your post last was, to where it is now.

With pages, your post location doesn’t change as dramatically. Your post is on page 5, it stays on page 5, regardless of how many pages get added on after it.

1 Like

Why would you need to know the absolute position of your post, other than to admire it from time to time?

And btw, if someone replies to your post, it links to that post directly from their reply.

Total non-issue.

1 Like

Let’s see what you’re going to say after reading some 5000posts’ threadnoughts.

1 Like

Perhaps its an issue of familiarity. I’ve been using Discourse based forums for over 2 years.

What I can say with confidence is that it renders the concept of pages utterly redundant.

The first thing I ever did on regular forum settings was set the number of posts per page to the max permissable in order to reduce the amount of click-through needed.

3 Likes

tbh, you just didn’t tried it.

Reading really big threads (>500 posts) is not a problem:

• if you leave and come back, you’ll start automatically where you left (on the contrary, paged forum you have to search yourself for where you stopped, go over pages and pages, so much effort)
  • you can look for specific post number by clicking the counter on the right (which only seem to appear when you edit/write an answer)
  • it’s smooth (unless you have a crap internet, that may happen)
  • you don’t want to read anything ? Go to the start / end using “END” or “home” on the keyboard, or the “timeline” on the right.
2 Likes

i read LAGL. No difficulties whatsoever.

1 Like

OK what about 20000+ posts with pictures of cats everywhere? Are you saying that this is going to be equally fast as if you just click on the last page of some 200+page threadnaught?

Mind you, I don’t really know. My only experience from one-page forums is Facebook, and I hate that one with passion. Having one page is not even my biggest concern atm, but it’s definitely one of many.

1 Like

Facebook is dreadful, I agree. This is not comparable, I promise.

Think of this as a forum with benefits, such as real-time responses (which ime really provokes discussion) rather than a gimped chat app.

Hitting F5 for updates and next page urls really should be consigned to history.

2 Likes

it will yes, because the forum only loads posts around “where you currently are”. So let’s say you are in the 500th post in a 10k posts thread, you’ll load some before and some after.
While you read and scroll (up/down) you’ll load new portions of the thread but never everything at once, so it will stay lag friendly and usage friendly

2 Likes

Actually, it should be pretty quick. It doesn’t load everything at once.

It loads sections as you scroll, so you’re only grabbing around 20 posts at a time.

If you want to see this for yourself, open the forum up in something like chrome, hit f12, and go to the network tab.

Then when you scroll, you should see it pulling blocks of posts as you go.

2 Likes

[quote=“Jean_LaForge, post:111, topic:3763, full:true”][/quote]

[quote=“Althalus_Stenory, post:112, topic:3763, full:true”][/quote]

Thank you guys. I guess this is a matter of experience, it’s surely not a dealbreaker for me. Now, is there any way to hint that I’m replying to all 3 of you? :blush: (other than quoting and editing the text like I did)

2 Likes

unfortunately, not that I know of.

you know you can add quotes to a post in progress? you can just start a reply, then select something to add it as a quote :slight_smile: (you may have already done this. I’m hoping you did, rather than using the quote to start a post, copy it off elsewhere, then start a new quote.)

I guess one option would be to tag us all like @Steve_Ronuken ?

The quotes, at least, link back to the quoted post.

1 Like

@Steve_Ronuken OMG I love you. Yes of course, Discord style, didn’t even realise I can use it here. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Yep @ is where it’s at! :smiley:

1 Like

That’s an invalid argument, because you’re giving an extreme example which would be moderated away anyway.

Plus, every user can block images locally and by using plugins even more so.

esit:
ah, i see you’re happy now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

markdown <3 don’t forget it ! ^^

2 Likes

I’m going to smile and be grateful we’re using Discourse.

1 Like