The new design is clunky, a waste of space and lacks old features

1 Like

well if only that WAS the case …

as it appears either because of lacking server hardware or whatever … this forum feels way slower than the current one …I sit on a 16 mbit DSL -line and it feels like loading stuff out of a 33600 baud modem or even slower … maybe partly because the loading is done in javascript

I also dont know if things can be sped up or not … but as it stands now … browsing this forum is a pita - especially when you want to catch up not only on a single thread or sub-category but instead on a lot of threads in several categories

1 Like

Feels extremely crisp and responsive to me, and while browsing the forums, don’t really see more than 500Kb/s of traffic from the browser. I strongly suspect something else is slowing it down for you.

1 Like

Personally, I can read these forums on my 3G data connection when I am not at my home computer and it is still faster than the old ones.

If you’re having issues where things load slowly, I would check to see if you have any plugins that slow down Java Script as that may be causing the problem.

As a final pointer, Discourse forums are written using Java Script and Ruby on Rails. The nice thing about Java is that tasks are handled client side, this reduces a significant load on the servers and means that the forums can handle larger threads.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

So you’re saying CCP is now allowing single page topics with pics links and whatever else this mobile app allows - Then they are going to moderate large threads, which is simply “removing” player posted content.

That sounds pretty bad for those who get moderated out because most of the ISD’s don’t have a clue what moderation is - In my years of experience, many of the ISD’s “moderate” based on personal preferences - So, if one doesn’t like what you have to say in a threadnought (which eve forums are famous for) it gets “moderated” out…

Personally I think the idea of allowing users to post “fluff” is a really bad idea but it seems others like to see a cat fall off a table into a garbage bin. Eventually the “fluff” will get moderated out or we simply end up with threads of endless spam.
As we all know most Eve players have no idea what self moderation is, so when one guy posts a cat meme in a thread about, EG; “what is your favorite ship”, all those who like cat memes will start posting theirs - What you end up with is a lot of spam that can detract from thread content.

Give an Eve user an inch - He or She will always take a mile.

1 Like

I hate this new design, so much space wasted, very confusing choosing the right button to reply.
Old forums were much more cleaner and better.

:cry:

2 Likes

yea … so crisp it just crashed … for the 8th time or so … just when I tried to scroll with the mouse-wheel … an apparent weakness as it seems … maybe the internal caching mechanism has problems keeping up … don’t want to know what happens when I enable page-scrolling instead of line-scrolling … my new mouse has such a nice button right next to the mouse-wheel

1 Like

also, for the record, as far as wasted space, the old and the new are very comparable, at least on my monitor.

1 Like

not if you consider font-size and page style … there the new one clearly wastes space …

and I still miss all the neat info about the poster that the old forum held ready … corp + alliance … collected likes … may seem not important … but tells me a lot about the value of the post I’m reading

1 Like

I’d expect that in most cases, the moderators will moderate by hiding/editing, which leaves a visible audit trail.

1 Like

I’m hoping corp’alliance info will be added to user cards soon too, but there is a workaround for now.

1 Like

In relation to Corporation and Alliance information, take a look at CCP Avalon’s post. https://meta.eveonline.com/t/missing-the-display-of-corp-and-alliance-in-the-profile/3674/11?u=isd_stall

2 Likes

Not having to press F5 is exactly the thing I hate. Because that means there is stuff going on in the background and I definitely don’t want to have a forum taking away precious ram and cpu resources

1 Like

LOL, it’s 1994 again.

2 Likes

heh … this forum runs almost entirely in the viewer’s browser ^^

1 Like

As does most of the malware. As I wrote earlier in this thread the forum does not run at all on my pc at home and my guess is its due to the Javascript stuff I don’t allow to run.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with that, in fact, I would have less problems if it really was 1994

1 Like

For me, at the moment, that’s 0.9% CPU, a peak of 100Kbps bandwidth for a few ms every now and then, and 37MB out of Firefox’s usage. If that’s really a problem, I kindly suggest not browsing the web on your Commodore 64, it’s 2017, the 80s called and want their dinosaur of a computer back.

1 Like

After a small test on my old Galaxy S4, indeed this forum looks great on mobile phones… but it is slow even with a 3G+ connection, and it is even slower when external images must be loaded like post #121 of this topic (1.7 MB). And as I feared, it does cost serious amount of data as they aren’t blocked in any way, no option exists for that.

A forum to avoid with old hardware and mobile account with few data, unless we can get the same behaviour about images than the old forum => as links.

Images aren’t as important than words anyway, especially to see a stupid blender.

1 Like

Would definitely be better if the images were either heavily compressed with the ability to lightbox the original version when clicked, or could be click-to-load for mobiles and other metered connections.

1 Like