The new design is clunky, a waste of space and lacks old features

Could someone explain where this wierd scrollbar behaviour is coming from? When I try to use the normal scrollbar to go up in a topic, it does go to the top. Yet then it loads yet another bunch of posts, so I’m not at the top of the page. In long topics this gets just ridiculous - of it doesn’t crash in the first place that is.

Sure, Home & End move up and down. Fine, but I’m a mouse type of user. Besides, usability standards should count for something. Not to mention that the bulk user is not a shortcut user. There’s no back to top button either. But where does it truly wierd behaviour come from with topic / page / post loading when using the bloody scrollbar.

1 Like

The timeline’s scrollbar is a bit less touchy than the browser scrollbar for me. The “weird behavior” you are seeing is because only the posts near you current location in the thread are loaded, it dynamically loads and unloads posts so that the browser doesn’t die on a threadnaught. When your current position gets near the top or bottom of the current “page”, it loads more posts in that direction if they are available in anticipation of further scrolling in that direction.

1 Like

Cheers, that explains a lot. That’s driving me mad tbh. I drag the scrollbar to the top, and if it doesn’t crash it turns out I’m not at the actual top of the page. Complicating factor is getting lost in long topics either way, but that’s a (massive) readability issue. So the scrollbar button is now at its top, yet the topic isn’t.

Makes me wish for normal pagination. That keeps things manageable for information consumption, navigation, etc. I don’t suppose there’s some magic hidden feature option to turn that on? Or turn off this dynamic loading drama?

The timeline scrollbar is hugely touchy on this end. It also freezes quite a bit on long topics, aside of accuracy that’s an issue.

2 Likes

The timelime scrollbar doesn’t load that area of the page until you release the mouse, at least for me.

1 Like

That could be a quirk - on the laptop here it does, on the desktop it doesn’t. Now if I could just disable the thing and switch back to pages :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Theoretically you could do that for yourself with a very complicated GreaseMonkey script, just have to write it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Infinite scrolling? Are you ■■■■■■■ kidding me CCP? What next, autoplaying videos?

Almost everything about these forums is worse. Tiny avatar, poor readability, pages replaced by infinite scrolling (who the hell ever thought that was a good idea?)

Sometimes you guys just completely baffle me.

1 Like

Personally I agree that the new forums are a step backwards. Sure its “cool” that people can now post animated pictures of kitties and whatever - but the point of forums is conveying information - and in that respect the new forums are much worse. Maybe there is some way to customize your setup that I dont know about, but right now it is a lot less easy to actually read the forums and find what you are looking for.

It seems that this is always the way things go, e.g. the map, scanner, and forums - they go for the visual flash while sacrificing clarity, easy of use and understandability. They just do seem to understand that simpler designs allow for the conveying of information faster and easier - which is of course the point to such things as forums, maps, etc. . .

2 Likes

I’m finding it much easier, but then again, I was already used to Discourse from using it in other forums. It will take a little time to get used to, because Discourse gives you better tools for managing a flood of information, and for picking out the most popular content across an entire forum, but those tools don’t fit the expectations of someone who’s used to other forums, because they simply don’t exist there - the software other forums are built on would die in a ball of fire applying the level of individualization that Discourse applies easily. (This is why Discourse runs mostly in the browser, so that it can personalize without making caching on the server end impossible.)

My Unread and New feeds are very clean, I can go away for a little while and quickly catch up when I return.

You can get to that point as well by aggressively muting or otherwise adjusting the notifications of categories that you don’t read (such as languages you don’t speak) , as well as high volume categories that are better to just browse directly (such as the character bazaar and the buy/sell stuff). Do the same for threads - if there’s no reason for you to come back to a thread, just mute it. The level of fine-grained control over notifications and over which posts show up in the feeds in Discourse is utterly amazing.

Beyond that, I don’t even go into individual categories or browse by category for the most part, they are really more of a holdover for people used to a traditional forum, and when browsing by category, I have to look at the things I’ve previously muted, so it’s a waste of my time, and instead I drink from the firehose in the other views and catch up with the things since I was last here quickly.

2 Likes

Could not agree more. All these bells and whistles being added to the forums are clutter, pure and simple, and garbage, because they take away from what the forums should be.

2 Likes

Is there a way for me to disable the forum shortcuts and pref. also the quoting function and instead have those functions as clickable buttons and settings?

I use several monitors and I would hate to be that guy who forgets what window is my active one(or not have my other window go active) when I start typing something, leading to posts being bookmarked, reported etc. due to shortcuts.
I also highlight what I read with my mouse. Maybe a bad habit, but it makes it easier to navigate a long post. Lately this have caused me to open the quote window several times, which causes the forum to scroll away from what I’m reading… (and give me that horrible bottom screen pop-up, can we kill that shit too? :))

Please let me disable all this unneeded flashy stuff and just give me a forum that functions. Thanks <3

1 Like

Meh, they just look cheap impo.

I don’t get the Eve vibe at all, but who cares as long as we have a forum to post our stuff on :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean reddit? :smiley:

(OK that was not constructive at all but hey, I want to shitpost!)

1 Like

[quote=“000Hunter000, post:152, topic:3763”]…but who cares as long as we have a forum to post our stuff on?
[/quote]

That’s the point. We do care. We also care about getting things right, and not just rushed into place to serve higher ups or the money makers - this is seeming to be another step towards ignoring issues raised by people.

So I will re-iterate: In their current state, this forums are not fit for their purpose. If CCP can pull out the stops and re-code the forums to be similar to an actual forums (i.e. No facebookequse infinite scrolling) within the space of a month, that would be marvellous. Personally, I don’t believe that that is possible.

1 Like

It feels old fashion and unprofessional. But CCP like to make a mess of things that work fine. EG the new scanner thats clunky and harder to interpret and the new map that is hard to see colours on.

This is horrible. the related post thing at the bottom is pointless crowding of the screen. and the pop up reply section lacks the finesse of the quick reply.
The little scroll thing on the right is JUST POINTLESS. its like some one needs to justify their employment by finding something to do. Literally the built in scroll on the right of all web browsers does not need reinventing.
Im getting sick of CCP busy body work.

3 Likes

It’s not pointless.

It lets you go to specific points in time if you want to, which you can’t do with the regular scroll bar (due to the infinite scroll)

1 Like

I think the new design is sexy.

1 Like

For me, the new forums are much faster and cleaner to navigate. I can easily see updated posts, and most of all, it works really well on mobile. The old forums were very poor when reading on a phone.

Sure, some features are lacking at the moment but it’s early days. Clean fonts, easy to read and fast is what I want out of a forum. My 2isk worth anyway.

2 Likes

So… any word on having the option of have a “pages” option available to those that want it?

2 Likes

It would be extremely difficult with the way this forum software is designed, and the Discourse developers are probably not willing to invest the time required just to please people who hate change.

There’s hope for you though, Discourse is fundamentally different from every other forum out there, it’s actually a client-side application written with the ember.js framework, and the server-side code simply serves that application and provides APIs for the app to use to interact with the forum.

So, at least in theory, if you want pages that badly, you could write your own version of the Discourse client that has pages, and enable that via Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey. The source code’s over here → GitHub - discourse/discourse: A platform for community discussion. Free, open, simple.

If that’s beyond your capabilities, you can probably find a developer somewhere that will do it for you for the right price.

Or, you can learn to navigate here, which isn’t as daunting as it looks. There is a timeline when browsing posts from your desktop, with it’s own slider that goes smoothly to whatever point in the thread you want, without having to fight against the infinite scroll. On mobile devices and when writing a post, the counter is shown instead, and if you click the counter it gives you both the timeline and a “jump to” button. There are several ways to get a permalink to a post, including the browser address bar, which automatically changes with your position in the page, and these forums actually save your place, so you can pick up exactly where you left off in a thread.

And there are keyboard shortcuts, which are displayed when you hit the ? key, several of which have to do with jumping around within a thread, such as the # key, which calls up the “jump to” dialog to go to a particular post number.

2 Likes