The NPE Is Failing Noobs

This. There isn’t a single question you could ever have about EVE that there isn’t a guide or YouTube video for. They are just too lazy to do any research into how EVE works.

1 Like

I doubt new players are the problem. My son invited me to play Hell Let Loose. That’s also a hard game and in many ways harder than EVE and I don’t see new players being snowflakes there.
I think the problem was misdiagnosed and the solution was the NPE because CCP thinks EVE is too hard for a majority of players. It isn’t.
I think what turns new players off the game is the amount of involvement needed to play it properly, fully and to a degree of satisfaction that can match the other games they been playing. Comparison is inevitable and not every player is ready for that involvement.

I feel I should mention that starter systems are only protected for players who just joined 30 days ago or less. Go ahead and petition it if you dont believe me.

I have blasted many a venture out of the ether on day 31 if this great game! GMs say it’s fine.

Also, many of these kills take place in Arnon, a starter system as well as the SOE mission system.

2 Likes

New players are indeed the problem. I’m in Rookie chat every day, and there are multitude of players who admit to skipping the tutorial and go straight to begging for help in chat. You can’t help people who won’t help themselves…

2 Likes

And then when I call them out on it, they lie about it. “Well I accidentally skipped the tutorial.”. You can’t accidentally skip it. You have to go to the esc menu, click on exit tutorial, and confirm it, with a warning stating that you won’t be able to go back to it…

1 Like

They undoubtedly do, but acquiring HTFU status is made harder by noobs largely being clueless about the game. Simply telling a 1 day old noob to harden up tells them nothing. I’d like it more explicitly explained to noobs why they need to HTFU.

1 Like

As had been stated by others, if the NPE included everything they need to know about EVE, it would be a week long tutorial and they wouldn’t even make it through. Hell, as it is the tutorial is only about an hour long and they still skip it…

I don’t think EVE is so hard that it even needs a rookie chat. All the info is out there online. I don’t think it’s a good idea for CCP to pander to the lazy and braindead.

2 Likes

CCP needs to change it to if you click on the exit tutorial button and confirm it, you are locked out of rookie Help chat…

1 Like

I know I did.

Part of the problem is surely that in most games the tutorial is based around the sort of situations you’re likely to encounter in the game - although at a lower level.

In EVE, so much of the real game is left to the agency of the players rather than NPCs, that it isn’t possible faithfully to recreate the New Eden environment outside of purely scripted play.

1 Like

I don’t think it even needs a tutorial. The career agents do that. I mean, at that point you can click on everything in hangar and out in space and not do anything wrong.
You can hover your mouse over most everything and it will tell you what’s what. I don’t see what’s so hard about it that it needs a tutorial.
Game should start with the Capsuleer in -0.3 with the mission to reach homebase in highsec. If he gets there without exploding he gets a free cruiser, if not he gets a destroyer and goes from there.

3 Likes

The career agents aren’t any better. They don’t show you how to probe scan, and the industrial agents still tell you to mine Tritanium, which of course is impossible, leading new players to ask ten thousand times a day “how do I mine Tritanium?”.

1 Like

Maybe CCP should go back to the original promo approach and attract players with the proper mindset into the game instead of trying to (fruitlessly) cater to the lowest common denominator because of greed (which might not even work in the end anyway). :psyccp:

4 Likes

I was told it was too easy and making 90b a month was childsplay. Are you saying there might be liars on the forums?

How do you make an omelet? At some point some questions really are stupid. And a little tickering in the scanning window can go a long way. Some people want you to think for them, you can find them everywhere.

2 Likes

Long story short, sorry Gen-Z, but EVE isn’t Fruit Ninja or Fortnite. Never has been, never will be…

I think he refers to the fact tritanium was removed from hisec if I recall correctly so it is physically impossible for rookies to mine it… or something like that.

@Uriel_the_Flame He’s referring to the agent who asks to mine tritanium instead of Veldspar to get Tritanium but it’s the same difference. If someone can’t deduce that the agents wants Tritanium from Veldspar then it’s time to shut puter off and do something else with that time.

1 Like

Tritanium is a mineral, and you can’t directly mine minerals. All they have to do is take five seconds to change the mission wording to say “mine veldspar and reprocess it into Tritanium.”. Problem solved.

1 Like

Oh I see. I only saw this surface after the resource redistribution and made the connection the issue is related to it. I guess now that is cleared up.

Well a new player might not realize tritanium is not an ore so in this case I say the tutorial should be properly worded.

1 Like