The old velator model

hello
when I started playing, one of the ships in eve that fascinated me was the velator, not because it was that good but because it was different, it was asymmetrical and I liked it allot as it was.

Until someone decided to completely redesign the ship.

I disagreed with the new design.
To me it had no lines that interested me at all.

And I still don’t.
But on top of that I start to realize this new shape looks more like a amarr design then a gallente.

Both amarr and gallente sport smooth lines.
But when you look closely you will notice that amarr uses sharper shapes and gallente more toward organic shapes.

amarr would be a basic circle compared to gallente being a random koffie spot on the table.

And that brings me back to the newly designed velator.
Why was it necessary to redesign it?
And why was it made so basic and non organic?

The shape wasn’t ugly for everyone… atleast not to me.

I assume you’re referring to this potato of a ship http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/graphics/ids/2048/321_2009.jpg

And it was just brought in line with the other ships that were around at the time, the smaller gallente ships are less “blob” just look at the likes of the tristan from the same year http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/graphics/ids/2048/60_2009.jpg

Outside of that, designs evolve and change, lots of the hulls have been modernised, that sjust the way it goes, i mean the look of the ship isn’t as important as the function of the ship, and i’ve lost a few ships to the CCP balance team

yes that potato of a ship

“i mean the look of the ship isn’t as important as the function of the ship”

for some people this is a game braking thing.
if not we can all agree to fly a cube or triangle.

imagine Spielberg changing a prop or a part of a story after its release.
all the fans will automatically agree as that’s how things go.

i totally agree with you that ships need to be modernised

we are not living in 2004 anymore

but

there is a difference between modernizing something and replacing it with something totally different.

2 Likes

Aslong as my cube still does whatever the base ship does then sure, the only important part is being able to tell the front from the back to be able to gauge direction, outside of that the rest is purely cosmetic, if you consider it “game breaking”, as in literally rendering the game unplayable, that they changed a single hull, then that sounds like a personal issue you need to either adapt to or decide if you still want to play, sure i was annoyed when they changed the absolute to use the harbinger model over the prophecy but its not “game breaking” by any stretch of the imagination

Not really, it was brought in line with the redesigned aesthetic of the faction, change can sometimes suck but that is the way the cookie crumbles, lots of things get redesigned as things evolve, as above, you either need to adapt to that change or decide if its actually enough to make you quit and speak with your wallet, at the end of the day CCP isn’t going to revert it just because YOU don’t like it

“you either need to adapt to that change or decide if its actually enough to make you quit and speak with your wallet”

Am i understanding here i am not allowed to write about something that is on my mind and only react by quiting?

“at the end of the day CCP isn’t going to revert it just because YOU don’t like it”

mby, then again when i had a discussion with a employee about changes in general, the person did advice me to post my concerns.

and for me it is a game braking thing
it might not be braking the game play but there is more to it for me
but it brakes the experience of the game and yes it did make me quit this game for 6 years

Would totally fly a Cube :smirk:

3 Likes

lol >.<

Quality of the mesh and texture, plus the new direction of gallente ships, more clear lines, less blobby. Thats why it was redesigned.

I like it. Would also redesign Catalyst and Imicus. Making them symetrical. :sunglasses:

Sure you can write whatever you want, but at the end of the day you’re going to be in a minority in wanting to get the velator changed and CCP won’t waste resources constantly changing ship models back and forth to try and appease customers, at the end of the day you’ll need to either accept the change or move on, by all means post here but don’t expect anyone to care enough to change anything

Yeah thats a standard method of getting rid of people they don’t particularly want to deal with “Oh thats an idea ,post it on the forums” because then you stop bothering them about it and you do as instructed, trust me i’ve used this method numerous times myself is a client facing environment and its extremely effective

Its not going to be reverted

Only when assimilated.

1 Like

You quit because some ship looks were redesigned? huh. ok…

" Quality of the mesh and texture, plus the new direction of gallente ships, more clear lines, less blobby. Thats why it was redesigned.

I like it. Would also redesign Catalyst and Imicus. Making them symetrical. :sunglasses:"

but that’s what amarr already has, clear… sharp… sterile… featureless… clean

if gallente is going to be turned into a amarr clone can we then have a additional faction that has all the discarded asymmetrical ships? ^^
btw another ship i adore is the atron just because of its shape.

“You quit because some ship looks were redesigned? huh. ok…”

that’s how my cookie crumbles
it wasn’t just one ship that was changed
ccp magically decided to redesign and retexture almost all the ships that i liked

i didn’t rage quit
i just interest in the game

carmein’s kid: “What? You’re abandoning me? Why?”

carmein: “Sorry, but you don’t look the same, you’ve changed. I liked your looks before, but now…no, I don’t like them. You have to go.”

j/k You certainly can do as you want to…just seems a little odd to me.

As for becoming Amarr…that is a good thing, embrace it. :wink:

yes that be odd seeing items as family members :stuck_out_tongue:

I look at ships as items
mby shoes or a car
my reaction is the same as a car owner discovering his Volkswagen beetle got replaced by a polo
some ppl might be cheering
others might be not so happy as that beetle was picked for its looks

What about Pyramids?

2 Likes

Would totally fly a triangle. Would have a standing instruction to my minions to murder Kurt Russell on sight, though.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.