The Protected Criminal

So I am curious? What is the multiple penalties you speak of? Other than a red flashy skull a negative sec status and a pop up message warning criminals will not be tolerated in system??

1 Like

Example would be a group of people warp into a system, Run over to a asteroid field and gank a miner. Concord warps in and destroys gankers, they then in turn run to the station and set there and buy more ships, mods and ammo… If the undock timer was changed… NOW… The miner has a chance to get his battlecruiser and set at station and get revenge on the criminal that ganked his mining barge. Seems fairly reasonable to me. And I can see where you think as the criminal thats not fair to you. That said miner is getting ready to destroy your ship and pod and send you home crying.

1 Like

You do realize that this is a PvP centric game with a harsh death mechanic, right? Everyone loses ships, and crime is an important part of the player ecosystem. Criminals don’t deserve to be punished by virtue of them being a criminal. They need to be balanced so that they aren’t oppressive to their targets. I mean, we call it crime because of lore reasons, but it’s another form of hunting. The mechanics differ but the same thing happens in all security spaces.

The people who get ganked “are being punished” because they made mistakes that led to him getting ganked. It’s something that happens all the time in competitive games. Players will punish their opponents when they make mistakes.

I got to run.

1 Like

thank’s mate for your idea but real highsec survivors understand the balance in highsec. We accepted the gankers playing style that’s why we survive and not being salty.

They made the mistake of taking their goods to a market hub to sell?? Ok Got it. I get that eve is full of all sorts of play style. One play style would be a change in the undock timer so now the gankers that ganked that freighter. Are now being hunted instead of being the hunter.

1 Like

Penalties for outlaws (security status >= -5):

-Anyone can attack you anywhere without Concord interfering
-Anyone assisting you (even corp members) will immediately become suspect
-You cannot cloak in HS
-Faction police will attack your ship anywhere in HS

There are other penalties for incurring a security standings loss.
Read them for yourself:
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Security_status

1 Like

It’s not as simple as just rewriting the undock invul timer (which is 30 seconds, not 10).

Every time a player leaves a ship in station, changes ships in station, ejects in space, jumps gate, undocks, takes a wormhole, jumps through a bridge, has their clone killed, jump clones, etc. the game changes session on the server and loads in the relevant state and assets for the new session.

When a session change occurs, the shortest session timer we have in the game is 10 seconds and the longest is 60 seconds.

When you leave a ship (eg. in station), that session update is relatively simple, so the timer is only short. When you jump gate, it’s the longest because the system you jump into might actually be on a completely different physical server blade, requiring significant cost (computationally).

Undocking kind of sits in the middle. You are still in the same system, but there are still significant assets to load and state to update, associated with the change from in station to in space.

Until those backend processes are complete, the invul is kind of needed (eg. even if the timer was 0, it still might not be possible to target a player undocking until the state about them being on grid with you is updated, etc.). The game has a lot of things to update when a session change occurs and potentially a lot of assets to load for the player involved.

Not everything in the game is purely about New Eden. It’s also about the practicalities of an MMO running on a cluster of servers and the physical limits of the architecture and codebase.

1 Like

Okay, so this is why you think ganking should be nerfed.

Guys aren’t getting ganked just because they decided to undock a hauler whatnot. People are getting ganked because they are making themselves profitable and easy gank targets. They failed to use intel tools (such as the in-game map and Eve Gatecamp check), they didn’t use a scout, they didn’t fit a proper tank, they overloaded their ship with too much value, they used autopilot, they didn’t fit for slipperiness, they didn’t fit a travel fit, they slapped on a bunch of unnecessary bling, and so on. They got ganked because they were lazy, impatient, and/or ignorant of the game’s mechanics. And that is why they deserve to be punished.

I just don’t know how to explain it any better than that.

3 Likes

Um, it kinda is. Have you tried playing the game as a -10?

The consequences of being a criminal have already been linked so I won’t bother but it is already pretty challenging to be an effective criminal in highsec. In fact, it may be some of the hardest game play in Eve, only mastered by the most elite players.

But that is beside the point. You are the one here asking for the CSM, and I guess CCP to change the game to make it easier for you. I don’t see any criminals here asking for their victims to be made easier targets or be put at more risk.

The truth is highsec play is some of the easiest and safest in Eve, maybe even all of PvP gaming. The deck is completely stacked already in your favour. If you can’t find a path to victory under these favourable conditions, I don’t really know what much else to say.

I guess best of luck on your campaign to make the safest sector of space even safer. You’re gonna need it.

1 Like

Well Wanda I did read it. And what you listed is the ONLY penalties that are listed. There are no other penalties. After what you listed there it breaks down into the systems you can be attacked in by concord according to your sec status and then explains how to raise it up again. and sentry guns will attack you as well if you stop and take a break if not your free to fly on with out them engaging. period No where did I find any other penalties for being a criminal. as in an Undock timer penalty, or a player owned structure penalty for criminals.

If it were possible technologically for there to be no undock timer, I would be for that 100%!

OP…I don’t think you realize how simple NO UNDOCK TIMER NAO!!! would be to work around…but cool.

You keep referring back to this ganking thing. I never said any thing about nerfing the gankers. You want to gank that miner or mission runner and or the freighter coming thru that didn’t fit his ship properly… By all means go ahead. If that’s your cup of tea… Im saying once you commit that crime, Once your sec status reaches a certain negative standing. Your said victims should be able to camp you in a station for a few hours because as a CRIMINAL you do not have the luxury of a 30 second undock timer. Or the luxury of a player owned station tether.

1 Like

EGADS! An impossible situation!..um…oh nvm…

This is meaningless. You won’t find ganker that is valuable PvP target outside station. And even if you do, killing his tornado/catalyst has no impact. Fixing sec status is very simple. You won’t find ganker with -5 sec status gate camping because NPC will kill him.

What I’m trying to say is that, even with your change there won’t be targets to shoot using new mechanics and even if you will find them, it will have no impact.

I also think that current zero downsides of being know criminal/pirate is wrong. But let’s be honest. There won’t be any changes to this. Especially when ganking itself was nerfed many times and is very hard profession.

2 Likes

I agree with everything you said, but you got the timers wrong.

The timers the OP is talking about and pretending should be removed for criminals are invulnerability timers such as Location Change (undock) and Jump Cloak.

The Session Change Timer (SCT) is something else. It limits your ability to do another session change after having done one already.

Haha. I bet he was joking about the meaning of “fixing” his sec status. If your goal is to be -10, then ratting ruins it and PvP “fixes” it… :wink:

3 Likes

There is no need to have any “mentality driver” to understand that EvE is a game intentionally designed to be a dystopia. All it requires is being able to dissociate fantasy from reality, so you don’t have a hard time understanding why things in a game can possibly be different than you’d expect them to be based on how they are or should be in RL …

No. That’s how it should be in RL, not how it should be in a fantasy game that is a dystopia. Get that already, damn it.

In EvE, everybody is supposed to fear undocking, criminal or not criminal.

4 Likes

Yes, excellent suggestion. I don’t get to trash random people on the undock too scoop their valuable ores often enough. I make stuff too you know.

Several bounties and endless insults in local, as well as genuine gratitude after honoring a ransom have indeed been the fruit of my criminal activities back in the day. Just realize EVE is a video game and has video game rules about criminal status.

This.

You still don’t seem to make a distinction between “criminal”, which is a status and
“Outlaw” which is a condition.

Please learn or make the distinction.

I doubt if they will not shoot a newbie miner mining in there sovereignty space because of not knowing the game mechanics. Being bad has a different meanings.

I agree. Just like contact sports. Like boxing. Things your doing inside the ring are just inside the ring.