Hmmmm?

1 Like

that was the past… you are a bit missinformed

2 Likes

They don’t anymore.

That’s a more-or-less recent change.

–Clean Gadget

1 Like

Still, I won’t end up as a brain dead light bulb groupie?

2 Likes

Well… there are consequences for using, but you’re an immortal clone god. They’re temporary.

–Counselor Gadget

2 Likes

No, not really, about 6 since PvP is referenced again on page 21.

Furthermore, as we mentioned previously, once you enter New Eden you must consider every action you take as a form of PvP since this is the core game concept. In the asteroid field you’re competing with other pilots to obtain resources; you may also have to defend against ore thieves. On the market you battle for control of the economy in certain areas; for the supply and demand of your products versus other aspiring tycoons. On the battlefield you may fight for glory, for money, or for the right to rule whole areas of space. As always in EVE, it’s your choice.

Then again on page 22 (multiple times). That is not 20 pages of becoming a miner, explorer, etc. And as noted in the quote above those professions can have PvP aspects to them.

The point is that in reading that FAQ that player-on-player competition is a fundamental aspect of the game.

3 Likes

hah I posted the exact same quote less than a week ago in the Salty Snowflake thread.

It appears that few people actually read the FAQ.

1 Like

Of course you are completely correct, these are PvP activities, and anyone who plays EvE knows that. But, that doesn’t mean these would be seen by a potential player as PvP. In fact many of these things are things you can do in other games without being “PvP”.

Most new players who come into EvE aren’t used to or are not expecting the market PvP and the other types of PvP that is in EvE. To most non-EvE players “PvP” means fighting/duelling. [citation needed]

I’m going to have to go with a lot of CCP’s official marketing does not promote “everything is PvP.” Of course it is, but they aren’t selling it that way.

1 Like

The first hit is always free…

–Pusher Gadget

1 Like

So true. In most games this would be considered cheating but CCP uses it to make more money.

1 Like

Im not sure I have met anyone who has heard of EvE who doesnt know at least that loss is permenent and everyone is your enemy.

2 Likes

So, because everyone in the world knows that MacDonalds food is complete crap, that means their marketing, is clearly telling everyone that their food is crap?

CCP has been doing somewhat aggressive marketing since the release of Clone States. I’m sure that reached people who had not heard of EvE before. Even if it hadn’t the question was about how EvE was being marketed. And CCP is not marketing it as “everyone will kill you” and “everything is PvP.”

1 Like

If you say so, I havent seen any marketting at all.

No, because everyone knows it, and it is when you try some, that means it is exactly as you heard it.

EvE is dangerous for characters who dont want to look after their own best interests. Its really that simple.

1 Like

No one is arguing that! I said you were right about how PvP EvE is. The point is that CCP isn’t saying that when they market the game. Why are you talking at all about the reality of the situation when the question isn’t what it is, but what the salesman said it is?

1 Like

Why is what the salesman says relevant to anything?

You dont strike me as the sort to listen to advertisements.

Because that’s what we are talking about:

This is what I was responding to. I dont believe most new players havent heard of EvE before they see an advert.

I only ever saw adverts long after Id started for example.

2 Likes

I would think otherwise, as someone who knows about EvE wouldn’t need the ad to get them to play.

Regardless, trusting that everyone who sees your ad will know you are not telling the truth isn’t really a good way to go. Even if we think “everyone” will know what EvE is all about, it doesn’t change the fact that CCP is telling people it’s something else.

I’m not saying EvE should be all about carebears, but since CCP is marketing “come be a carebear” we can’t really be surprised when newbros come and are surprised they can’t be nice safe carebears.

1 Like