The real reasons player population is declining

this is pretty much self explanatory.

No, they preferred to talk about whom is worthwhile voting for, as virtuous.
Unfortunately, people didn’t listen or understand that, nor did you.

You are confusing Ancient Greek philosophers, with a much later Machiavelli, and even then, Machiavelli supported action to support a position, rather than lying about it.

Not that any of this means anything to you, because I very much doubt you have read even Plato or Machiavelli.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: sure Salvos, whatever you say

1 Like

Screw ethics, this requires quantitative analysis:

1. Not applicable
  2. " …you want money coming in from subscriptions? Earn it. Do the work. Make real improvements that favor the more well behaved players, or you lose players and will continue to lose players. It is a natural and necessary cost of doing business."
  3. ??
  4. “As I mentioned previously, if that were the case, there would be a lot more meaningful innovation where ships are concerned, and Concord would be able to do a lot more than they do.”
  5. Disagree, needs little to no bias on player-driven distraction options.

Regarding points 2 and 4, you can argue some necessary changes if Player Features is still present in the forums. Why not stop over there?

Have you read Plato and/or Machiavelli?
I have.

That is not a requirement to play EVE

I wrote them Salvos.

2 Likes

I sympathize with the OP in aversion to “mean” gameplay. It’s not the reason for declining EVE population though, since the same is happening to every other MMORPG. The meanness is not unique to EVE either; hardcore raiders in WoW, for example, can be just as interpersonally toxic as any pilot in New Eden, if not worse.

Also, there have long been EVE corps and alliances explicitly founded on principles of respect to other players. The EVE “elite” and even some of the game devs may envision a virtual universe of inescapable cruelty in all corners, but they’ll never get it. Players always have a choice not to be jerks, and to fight on the side of others who think alike. Anyway, isn’t a mixture of honorable and dishonorable players, and everywhere in between, more interesting than if every player were uniformly evil?

4 Likes

You wrote their names?
You don’t even know the names of the texts they wrote, do you? :smiley:
Let alone read them.

probably doesn’t want to continue the whole “ancient Greek philosopher” arc, because admitting that Aristotle wrote a piece entitled “Rhetoric”, and Athens was litigious and pamphlets on rhetoric and how to win at all costs were rampant in their society, BECAUSE it would increase the already escalated Hypocrisy level of the thread. :roll_eyes:

A couple hundred posts ago, somebody wrote “This game is not for relaxing.” That made me laugh. It always makes me laugh when socially challenged types start mumbling about survival of the fittest and economic self-interest and blah blah on into infinity. What EvE is, what it should be for everybody who plays it, etc.

Sitting at my computer looking at all the pretty asteroids while I mine is relaxing to me.
I’m going to keep doing it. This is a game, and I will continue to play it in a way that pleases me.

9 Likes

Yeah and this is just plain wrong. You are parroting an argument without thinking it through. People who mention this usually do not actually think about it. You need to properly think about arguments which are not your own.

The ancient greek have been talking about this, just like we do. The ancient greek had an increase in idiots over time, just like we do. The ancient greek also eventually collapsed, thanks to decadence. Just like we have now.

Everyone who brings this up completely ignores that idiots breed even more idiots. Not only that, they ignore that in our modern times people are easier to manipulate, that the idiots have far more reach nowadays compared to the old times and that marketing has realized them as the ultimate cash cows (even CCP jumped onto this), because they are the easiest to milk money from, which means that there is political and economic interest in not only keeping people relatively stupid, but also in having more relatively stupid people.

Please do not use arguments that you have not thought of yourself.

It is a real issue, not just a perceived one.

1 Like

Ok, maybe I was not really clear what I was talking about when I say Idiots. Just from observation, which I know may be heavily flawed, I assume that 80-90% of all people are idiots and incapable of critical thinking.

I work in a job where the amount of thinkers is pretty high and I don’t read the news because it’s just full of ■■■■. So I may be too shielded to see those changes at all.

I don’t see how that number can increase even more and if it does then yeah I agree that there is a serious problem. If you have some pointers on literature to this topic feel free to share

Finally at home.

Heh … I know you are baiting me. You know me well. You likely also know that I am willingly playing along, because it is fun, and you also know that I tend not to discuss things a lot, because it is a huge waste of time. Attemping abusing my willingness to write whole “dissertations” is hilarious, and absolutely in my own interest. It is my duty to keep it on topic and that is all that is necessary, no matter how much I write.

It is saturday, I am at home finally relaxing and I thank you for this opportunity: Going on a writing spree.

: - )

I do not read such literature. I do read books, of course, and I read all kind of stuff that actually helps me growing. Most books I own are written in operative language, or are those which teach me things without including author’s personal interpretations and potential biasses. Most people include them, and those I do not read. Finding those who stand out is hard.

I have a book containing a story about a guy who has problems with his jobs and family. It is written for managers, helping them changing their thought-process into a more “goal oriented” way of thinking. It is a nice read and helps people grow intellectually just by reading and thinking about it..

I do my own research. I learn, investigate, combine, falsify, reject, dismiss, gather more. From early on have I learned that gathering as many words as possible from whatever amount of people others deem as “intellectual” does not actually help me thinking critically, and also does not help me actually growing more intelligent. On the contrary. The human brain tends to incorporate the words of others as their own. I avoid that like a deadly disease.

Let us make sure we are on the same page when it comes to the word “idiot”. I am not talking about people who do not have higher education… like how people tend to believe that “rednecks” are dumb and stupid, which is nonsense. There are far too many idiots who have a college degree, for example. Being a scientist does not necessarily make him an “intellectual” either. It makes him a scientist who has learned how it works, but that does not mean he actually applies it properly, or that he does not have a bias of some sorts, etc. etc.

The “idiots” I am talking about are those who do not think for themselves. They are those who take other peoples words as their own. They are those who believe that politicians would never lie to them and have their best interest at heart. Those who do not understand that marketing is all about convincing them and making them buy something. Those who believe that they decide things based on their will, instead of based on their feelings.

Put the following into the above context. There are tons of idiots in american “elite” colleges who will eventually hit the job market, reaching high positions with actual influence. I am sure you know who I am talking about, because there are plenty of videos and news about these people out there. They are also being talked about by comedians (who once were a backbone of every society and now people simply laugh at the truth), including “The Simpsons” who at least once featured the madness that is happening in one of their shows.

These people are idiots. Find me a better term, if you want to. Misguided, for example applies, but also softens the perspective. Another applying term would be: Radicals, which describes them equally well as “misguided”.

If you want to learn more about what is going on, throw away most books written by intellectuals and start listening to what critical comedians have to say about them. People like George Carlin, who was a serious opponent of PC culture, because it is fascism in disguise. Listen to what Stephen Fry says about political correctness. Look up more of them and listen to how calm and smart they are, compared to those who are P.C., who tend to scream and disregard you as a human being.

Idiots are also those who do not think rationally. They put everyone you say into a perspective of “how is it wrong compared to what I am saying”, compared to “let’s see how his applies to the real world in comparison to how mine applies to the real world.” They tend to move goal posts, argue even against facts and actual statistics and use hurt feelings as a position to argue from. In conversations, these people’s whole goal usually is not to be correct, but to be told that they are correct, because otherwise they suffer from one of the feelings they have never learned to deal with: The feeling of being wrong.

So, just in case we are not on the same page … these are the idiots I am talking about. These are also the future elite of the US of A, and their “non-culture” spreads all across what people call “The West”. If you think it is not getting worse, then you will be in for a big surprise.

This is the real reason why the player population is declining. Those who actually belong into this game are slowly being driven out by those who do not, which are those who lack a sense for self-responsibility, who lack even a shred of survival instincts, who blame the world for anything that is not going exactly as they want it to go. Those who do not think rationally, who are impulse driven, who believe they are actually good people fighting some sort of evil. People like Fabulous Rod/Auto-Doo-fus, for example, who appears to be rather radical.

These people are growing in numbers. CCP will eventually have to close EVE because of the shitstorm that will eventually happen, when these people have significant enough numbers to just scream loud enough until CCP has to fully fold. Alternatively they will have to close the game down, because there will simply be no one left who actually wants to play it.

The only solution is attempting to reach out those who are different to them, and trying to keep them as long as possible. Of course that does not mean that anyone else should not play… No. Everyone is welcome, but the game’s rules are the game’s rules and - so far - any attempt of changing them (I am talking about personal security/self responsibility here) did not actually benefit the game.

My post was on topic all along. : - )

5 Likes

And here’s an “idiot” who doesn’t know a thing about History!

And who decides who belongs in EVE and who doesn’t? You?

2 Likes

The best evidence that @Solstice_Projekt is right. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

No, he is talking about an unguided process.

3 Likes

On the contrary I give you:

Clearly more stupid than idiotic me. :smiley:

Edit: And you have no sense of humor at all which just makes you tiresome and annoying.

5 Likes

Monkey has been spanked time to move on me thinks.