This is an ugly forum

The only good thing I have I say about this is at least it displays thread posts chronologically on mobile because on laptop it posts replys under the reply and iu have to expand the post to see replies which is my Lear favorite thing about disqus comments which is clearly inspiring discourses general layout.

However this introduces it’s own unique problem. The chronological display of comments here on mobile is not time stamped. It says

3h for 3 hours ago instead of a time stamp that lets me know exactly what day month and year posted.
1 year from now will it say 1 year ago? Or June 22 2017 7:21am?

isnt there a desktop mode that works better? i use that one too. sorry for annoying your already annoyed… idk, mood.

Another new issue. This loads slower than the old forum, old forum loads the entire page and everything contained. This only seems to load a smal section of the thread, I actually had to stop and wait for the top of the page to load when I scrolled up to the top because its almost as if it’s going in real time like a feed which is bad if it’s constantly keeping a connection open to update threads in real-time without just refreshing the page manually when I click refresh.

Not bad for reading posts within the thread however it seems the top banner clips with the top of the reply box and I can’t see what I’m typing until I get a fair way into the post. Hiding the preview pane actually opens up more space under the banner and it takes even longer to type enough to be able to see the text. I don’t seem to be able to scroll up or swipe the banner away so it’s just stuck here at the top of my post.

Edit: had to switch back to highzoom mobile mode in order to upload screenshots.for context of what I’m talking about because there doesn’t seem to be an upload images option on desktop that I have access to unless it’s in the options hidden by the banner.

Easier to read ^

Harder to post^

Have not tried viewing categories on desktop mode yet, but the obtrusive banner is a deal breaker for actual posting. Will go view categories though.

yeah i got that as well.

what i do is pressing ENTER until the cursor shows up.
as you can observe, the added spaces dont make it into the post.

did i save your day at least just a little? :slight_smile:

[Testing space key]

It solves the banner obtrusion but I still lack access to post options. Embolden, font, underline, etc, etc. Not something I go overboard and use all the time but still a huge issue with the basic layout.

If people are going to leave eve over a forum change then let them. The forums have no effect on ingame enjoyment so if they make you leave you were likely holding back many other things with your attitude.

2 Likes

What is going on down at the bottom of the page?

This is desktop view.
Theyre displayed correctly on mobile view but I don’t want thread suggestions at the bottom of my page anyway.

Can we turn this off? Will go see if there are options

sure!

i get that! but they’re not your problem for now anyway, right? :smiley: plus, you can use “*” and “**” for drunk and fat text, so the buttons are just a waste of space fore most people anyway!

Glad you got it at least in a condition now where it’s not totally useless! :slight_smile:

And always remember the desktop mode!

btw i said ENTER to reach the next line, not spamming space. :3

Just did the wide view thing and it is much better. It takes up the empty space I had on the right.

Thank you for that info!

Oh and I love the scrolling thing on the right. I sometimes am sitting there wondering - “How many more posts does this thread really have? geez…”… Now I know.

Tried turning off unpin topics, not sure why I thought it would remove the bottom suggested threads. Did not work, actually can’t seem to figure out what it did. Seemingly nothing.

But do not try wide mode if you are not on an actual desktop. It breaks the layout on phones in desktop view.
Does nothing for me on desktops, I mean satisfaction wise not functionally. Makes the content a bit wider but I still hate the layout overall whether default or wide on desktop in desktop mode.

not on my phone. vOv

Galaxy A5, Chrome :poop:

anyhow, glad i could help ya a bit!

take care and throw your phone at a wall! :innocent:

Are you experiencing increased battery usage? My phone’s not fancy but another thread has pointed out it seems to be using more juice.
I scrolled up towards the top and it’s used 26% of my battery since I started in-depth critiques of just this page according to my own screenshots.

Please delete the little scrollbar. As you can see I have my own scrollbar on my browser and in wide view mode it’s in the way.

1 Like

good question. i didn’t.

but my phone’s rooted, underclocked and cleaned from a lot of google filth that wastes resources, so i’m not the right person to ask. there could be the case that you’re slightly obsessed with this, btw. Could be. :wink:

It looks like CCP wants to rid off of forums just like the Evelopedia and force people to use 3rd-party forums. Actually, these forums are 3rd-party hosted already. To “discontinue” forums would be even better than replace 'em with something such ugly.

Well CCP killed the last forums with the ISD. I wonder how long these new forums will last?

…and the pessimism has arrived on the new forums already.

There is a tutorial about using it. And seriously, if it is such a huge problem that you have to click to a few things to learn how it works then you should try something else then IT.

This one is the only one where I have to agree with you. It is really annoying when you for example push end and you have to wait a few seconds before you can read it.

cant view full size portraits. theyre locked at 120x120