Time to make Windows 10 as *minimum* supported on Windows platforms

So how much of a hypothetical burden are we talking about?

Do you have any measurable insights about this burden? And whether the costs of this burden are higher than the profits of keeping up support?

Until then, this thread feels kind of pointless.

Stop holding everybody back, take your free W10 upgrade and move on.

So donā€™t read or post in it then.

Iā€™ve been using Windows 10 since shortly after it was introduced.

Iā€™m just here because I enjoy pointing out flaws in argumentation and boy does this thread have many.

You just complained your time here is pointless.

No, the thread is pointless. Iā€™m enjoying posting.

Edit: Someone thought it necessary to again flag one of my posts in this thread as off topic. I would say that this post is very much on the topic of this thread and is in direct response to the OP. It literally -is- about the thread. If you think otherwise, I would appreciate if you respond to my post rather than flag it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s probably capable.

Itā€™s probably just the TPM check which is saying no. And thereā€™ll be a TPM embedded in your CPU.

If itā€™s intel, itā€™s probably a bios option called PTT. If itā€™s AMD, itā€™ll be fTPM

(Iā€™m not saying you should upgrade now. Iā€™m not planning on upgrading any time soon. Just so you have the option)

1 Like

This isnā€™t about upgrading to W11, this is about W10 as a minimum requirement.

yea theyā€™d have to really clean 11 up from what i been hearing from my tech expert friends, before i decide to go that route.

I was replying to someone saying their machine wasnā€™t capable, letting them know it probably was, with a bios change.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Itā€™s a tiny tiny fraction of the gaming use and in decline. Other smaller platforms are increasing.

This is the very excuse people use to criticise Linux, oh itā€™s such a tiny market, well so is W7 and W8 and W8.1 with one important difference, it is being depreciated and in decline.

Let the thing rot.

And yet it is still more users of Steam for gaming than Linux and OS X combined.

So if they are adding support for even smaller markets, why drop support for existing markets that have yet to dwindle to that point?

Once again: nobody says it wonā€™t happen someday, but it does not make sense to do it today per your own published data.

Business logic says: hey, number are dropping, we should start assessing this and decide where out cut off will be, and make sure we have an action plan when it is reached.

As demonstrated by the DX9 announcement, CCP does that kind of monitoring and analysis, and will in fact pull the plug on W7-8.1 when it makes sense to do so from a business logic perspective.

took 5 years for them to phase out dx9ā€¦

Windows 7 seems less ā€œdeadā€ than Linux:

1.13% of Steam users on Linux, versus 3.89% for Windows 7 (64 bit).

Four times as many people are still using Windows 8.x (64 bit), compared to Ubuntu 20.04

But in relation to this:

Thatā€™s what you did right? You upgraded to Windows 10 and just run that, no problem?

Or, itā€™s just - other people should upgrade, so you can continue your choices with no problem?

3 Likes

Windows 7 is awesome and itā€™s the last desktop oriented version of the Microsoft OS and also itā€™s awesome while being awesome.

1 Like

Itā€™s (((free))) it must be good!

Well to be fair it is good because itā€™s the only future they have to stay on Windows if that is what they want.

I think itā€™s time they moved up and onward and raise the mininum bar. Itā€™s over for those platforms.

dead weightā€¦ hold outs?? I think you need to take a look at the list of issues over time on the following website so that you have a clue as to why many still refuse to use windows 10.

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

Also, there has been concerns about the telemetry keylogging and voice search recording security issues and the following website gives a brief rundown of the program along with a basic insight into what it takes from general users.

Iā€™m including the following two sites just for general reading, its up to you to decide what you will about the information on them.

http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_and_the_NSA

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/3gdz59/can_someone_explain_windows_10_nsa_backdoors/

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.