Time to make Windows 10 as *minimum* supported on Windows platforms

At which point, again, CCP can discontinue support.

Until then they keep making money off these users.

Why throw away an income source that is paying for itself? Just because at some unknown future date it may no longer be worthwhile doesn’t mean you trash it today.

That would be like throwing away a car that works fine right now just because someday - possibly years from now - it will have a breakdown that costs more to fix than the car is worth.

Get rid of it when it is broken. Not just because it left the extended warranty period.

It’s software, an online game, not a car.

Cars last longer than software.

You mean downgrade.

2 Likes

And yet the underlying principle in the comparison is perfectly valid.

Swap for a household appliance and the point is still the same. Throwing away something that works now because at some future time it won’t be worth having is nonsensical.

Which you clearly know and are being deliberately obtuse about, and continue to be intellectually dishonest in your arguments, so I am done here.

1 Like

No it isn’t, Windows has only one fix supplier, cars have an after market for fixes.

Good trolling ladies and gentlemen

:trolleybus:

Pretty sure it’s an upgrade. Free too (unless you’re freeloading on somebody else’s enterprise licenses).

Um, I think I crawled through the wrong tunnel.

Edit: Got flagged for being off topic. It was not. Let me fill you in on the missing context. OP has a posting history of being linux advocate, and being someone who keeps asking for better linux support. Moreover, OP brought up linux unprompted in several posts (including in her original post) within this thread. Thus, many people, myself included, thought that she might have an ulterior motive for her proposal.

Of course, I might be wrong about this. However, my belief that an ulterior motive exists is indeed something that is relevant to the topic. As is a meme that points out how often OP brings up linux. Moreover, if OP can mention linux, then so can I.

Finally, I used a meme in this post, because memes are good at concisely and clearly conveying ideas that are harder to express in words, are attention grabbing, and because they’re fun. I know that they can sometimes be difficult to decipher if you lack the necessary context, but they are amazing at conveying ideas to those that do understand them. So, one might think that this meme was actually quite random, but it actually makes sense to those that have the necessary context, and it is, in fact, relevant to the topic.

3 Likes

At least Microsoft is consistent in their planning… W11 is next in line to be “not good”… unless every edition now is rated in troll rankings instead of alternating between good and “not good”.

W7 that people are clinging onto isn’t even the previous (as one poster incorrectly claimed) windows, good as it “was” in the day, it is done, W10 buried it.

When Valve’s SteamWorks kills W7 package support, they will have no choice but to kill W7, that is, if they want to continue to publish on that store platform or any other store platform they’re on (CCP are on multiple stores). Valve has already killed off XP and Vista in Steamworks package support a few years ago, W7 is next in line. This is part of the problem of “trickle down” cutting of support that developers will face.

Steam stats already show W7/8/8.1 as dying to dead, W10 dominant. Publishers are already setting W10 as the mininum specs on their new games there. W7 cutting I would expect to see in the next couple of years.

Once Chromium end support for W7 (scheduled for 2022, extended to 2023 I believe), I expect Valve to dump it in Steam builds. That signals an end to W7 on Steamworks support.

I would be preparing to raise the mininum out of W7 by then or risk being unable to package and deliver on Steam (CCP publish Eve on Valve’s Steamworks).

The clock is ticking for the death hammer on W7 support, you got a year or two to upgrade or risk being cut off from updates and even the stores themselves and unable to publish there and users unable to update. For an online game, if you’re not on the latest update of their game you can’t log in.

So…

Google kill Chromium support in 2022 (scheduled)/2023(extended) on W7 as stated
Valve kill W7 updates for Steam as Chromium no longer supported on W7 and Steam builds on that
Valve ends support of Steamworks packaging and delivery for W7 as unsupported like they did XP and Vista a few years ago
Publishers have no choice but to raise the minimum platform from W7 to higher, likely to W10. Many have already done so. To continue to be on Steam delivery.

I’m not going to wade into the ongoing debate of what to actively use (I have my issues with Win10, but all of them have functional fixes or workarounds, so…meh.) but I do need to call out blatant technical misinformation when I see it, with cited sourcing:

What are the coverage dates for the three Windows 7 ESU SKUs?

• Windows 7 Extended Security Updates 2020: January 14, 2020 - January 12, 2021
  • Windows 7 Extended Security Updates 2021: January 13, 2021 - January 11, 2022
  • Windows 7 Extended Security Updates 2022: January 12, 2022 - January 10, 2023

This is, of course, non-trivial for a home user (but is possible). It’s also questionable spending outside of some super-specialized need. Nonetheless, paid support is in fact still available for Windows 7, so please don’t mislead people. The justification of effort around EVE continuing to support it is a fair discussion, but please don’t beat it to death with technical falsehoods.

1 Like

Google will set the stage for killing W7 as they already said in 2022 they will end W7, and extended that to 2023.

Anything that depends upon Chromium will also be dropping W7 as they won’t be getting updates from Google.

That means Valve will drop W7 as they consume Chromium on Steam store.

It is not just Microsoft that is ending support, this cutting trickles down to everything.

That means, if you want to continue to use Steam and publish to Steamworks, and other stores that also cut it, you will have to upgrade.

Microsoft ends it… Google ends it… Valve ends it… Publishers on Steam have to end it. Users of Steam have to end it.

You have zero choice.

I don’t think CCP are going to stop publishing on Steamworks. That would be business suicide.

W7 is soon to be dead by third party too. Not just Microsoft.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7100626?hl=en

Important: Chrome is extending support for Windows 7 through January 15, 2023 for critical security and stability updates.

January 15, 2023… Get off W7

After Google kill Chromium on W7. Valve will too. Steam uses Chromium. Valve will not ship Steam without updates on Chromium. Steam already has W10 as the dominant platform. W7 is tiny there.

This also applies to any other store and apps consuming Chromium builds. W7 will die after that.

Start getting off W7 as after that date, you are on your own with no updates to stores and no updates pushed out and that means no logging on to online games without the latest verison. Steam also federate logins.

You may not use Steam, but no company is going to ship W7 just for you when they publish there.

Extended support is for enterprises and governments. It is not mainstream. It is “transitionary”. It means upgrade/migrating off those platforms asap. It’s “life support”, pull the plug.

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/2570075 It’s dead. Nobody wants to develop for W7 any more.

For proof Steam uses Chromium

Yes, in the future CCP will have no choice but to drop W7 support.

But the future is not now. 2023 is not yet here. EVE on W7 still functions without problems.

Once EVE runs into game breaking OS issues in the future for older OS, I’m sure CCP will update the minimum specs if it isn’t worth fixing those issues.

But until then, there is no reason to break what isn’t broken yet.

A large amount if not the majority of players do not play EVE through Steam, so I don’t see how that is relevant for the minimum recommended specs for EVE.

If Steam requires a minimum of Windows 10 (no idea why, but lets say hypothetically they do), CCP would still be free to have their own recommended specs to be W7 for people who aren’t using Steam.

1 Like

Companies have limited resources, people and time. They want to cut dead wood and end of life platforms. The test matrix is growing with W11 now and native Mac. I think they will want to cut W7 asap.

As I said, one move will affect the others. You may not login via Steam, but they publish there. They have to meet their requirements and from others.

Trickle down cutting is coming. Chromium is already dead on W7 for developers.

Let it die naturally and once it breaks, let it RIP.

If the amount of paying W7 users pays enough for the amount of extra costs supporting W7 brings, why cut it?

‘Let it die’ only makes sense if you have knowledge about those numbers, which I assume you don’t have. It’s up to CCP to make that call.

Steam consums Chromium, Steam won’t use outdated unsupported Chromium builds on W7. Steam is a high target for ATO’s (account take overs). They are not going to keep pumping out on W7 once it ends support and Chromium stops.

Okay, so then CCP upgrades minimum specs for steam users only. Problem solved.

Yes because they love managing more and more configuration variations to test and maintain. keep adding to the burden.

Fewer test configurations you mean, because Steam + Windows 7 is no longer a thing after that change.

Easier and more sense to align with W10 as mininum on all Windows deliveries. Less burden.

Take your free W10 upgrade and stop being an anchor around everybody else’s neck.