Time to make Windows 10 as *minimum* supported on Windows platforms

You’re the one who said you game at work on work time, on a work PC, using work volume licenses that are not eligable for a free W10 upgrade since they already have a deal with Microsoft on licensing for enterprises and you complain Eve Anywhere is a paywalled service.

Those are things you brought into this topic.

No, I didn’t. I said “some of us” (with regards to EVE Online users as a whole) use enterprise-licensed hardware.

You assumed that to mean I personally do, and further assumed that I do so on company time, on company internet, and to the detriment of my company work.

And I never complained about EVE Anywhere being paywalled. I clarified that it is, since you claimed it was a free solution for users who cannot afford Windows 10-friendly hardware.

1 Like

Enterprise licenses, for one - and yes, some of us are running on work PCs. At least one kind of educational institution license group for another - I have one of those that cannot be upgraded.

From your post here Time to make Windows 10 as *minimum* supported on Windows platforms - #104 by Mkikaden_Tiragen

It is laughable that you keep claiming this ‘free’ thing. Not all W7-8.1 licenses were eligible for a free upgrade, and EVE Anywhere isn’t a free service (it’s Omega only).

From your post here Time to make Windows 10 as *minimum* supported on Windows platforms - #101 by Mkikaden_Tiragen

Neither of these posts say what you assert them to say.

Too bad. W10 should be the mininum going forward.

What business justification is there for CCP to make this change, so long as users are bringing in more revenue than their support costs?

The effort will only continue to rise for a dwindling quantity of users. Steam hardware stats already show W10 as dominant in the gaming community.

That is an assumption on your part. You have zero hard data on the support costs for W7-10 vs W10 alone, now or at any time in the near future.

I have zero doubt that once the point is reached that it is cost-prohibitive to support W7-8.1, they will be removed from support.

But why should that happen now if it is still a source of profit for CCP?

if you want a future for Eve, dump dead wood.

If they are paying for EVE, how are they dead wood?

Testing effort only increases as W11 will roll out, along with Eve anywhere testing, dumping W7/8/8.1 testing effort will free up time and resources, they are not going to keep hiring to test end of life platforms, they refocus effort. We all know testing resources in time and people are unlimited right?

Then CCP can make that call when the time comes. There isn’t a reason to drop people early. It does not make sound business sense to lose out on customer revenue any sooner than they have to.

Sure keep that test matrix growing… testers love that extra dead effort.

Again: as long as that population is making CCP more money than it is costing to support them, business logic says keep supporting them.

Yup, lets run these tests again on W7 (an OS that is officially dead, not even the OS before W10, but TWO versions prior), just because somebody on a company PC didn’t get a free upgrade to W10.

because it generates more money for CCP than it costs to run the tests.

Not just tests, planning, tickets being thrown between dev and test, fix time if any is required, reruning the tests, also scheduling meetings and triaging… oh yes… more of that please.

Let us know when you want actual game features scheduled.

All of which costs less than the money CCP gets from these users - otherwise PA would have pulled the plug already on supporting those OSes.

Just don’t upgrade your dev and test tools or any consumed third party libraries as they may break on W7 in future.