Today I learned

Simple topic: Share your TIL!

Today I learned…

…that it’s better to don’t sleep in the last 2 hours of your flight, as your body controls pressure changes better when you’re awake.

2 Likes

Two hours of suntanning on the beach from 4 to 6 PM, facing the sun, nothing.
Two hours of suntanning on the beach from 12 to 2 PM, facing the sun, red lobster, ouch.

2 Likes

TIL I’d rather spend 2b than train JDC V

2 Likes

I learned that despite my 12 year old dog being too lazy to take more than 3 steps from the front door to crap, and getting him out the front door at all is an uphill battle, he’s still capable of chasing down, killing and completely eating a rabbit when he’s hungry.

2 Likes

TIL that leaving the cooler in one’s car for four days after the weekend bar-b-q creates a funky and stinky cooler.

1 Like

TIL I learned that Korean sojuu is the same as Japanese shochuu, and my boss isn’t shy about keeping bottles of it coming for us all. Also, that Mr. All-Business tough guy is a Star Wars and Marvel Comics films otaku. Like, buzzedly explaining to us that Annikin became Darth Vadar and had twin kids, and they were Princess Leia and “What was his name again?” Very cool.

Today I learned…

…that every August 5th the Mars rover Curiosity plays “Happy birthday” to itself using the vibration device that makes sand samples fall into its authomated laboratory.

Kinda cute and sad, isn’t it?

3 Likes

reminds me of: https://xkcd.com/695/

Bruce Lee (in his prime) probably would have stomped Chuck Norris (in his prime). Partly because Bruce had done hard training in trapping and grappling techniques (judo), as well as striking techniques. And Bruce had experience in full contact fighting (amateur boxing tournaments), where Chuck’s experience was only in “point contact” karate tournaments. https://withoutwriting.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/bruce-lee-vs-chuck-norris-the-real-truth/

1 Like

I learned that the covers on microwave tower transceivers are called “radomes”, and that they are used to prevent ice buildup on the transmitter, which is a leading cause of overheating.
Microwave tower in sky

1 Like

I might agree with you on this one since grappling trumps karate in a one-on-one fight and point karate is nothing like full contact.

Except, Judo is not the same as Jui-Jitsu or American Catch Wresting, and Lee was a natural 130 lb’s vs Norris 170 lb’s. Weight is HUGE in fighting (pardon the pun).

They would have to fight to decide.

You’re a redhead – what are you doing sun bathing??

CEO suggested I train into it.

2 Likes

Dang, I should have tried to get sunburnt during the day of the N.A. solar eclipse! Think of the stories I could have told… for generations! “Yes, I did get sunburnt on August 21, 2017, before and after a total solar eclipse, in my back yard in Long Island, NY. I’ll never forget it, the mosquitoes were terrible, I hadn’t mowed the lawn for a long time,” etc. Crap, I’m just thinking of it now, a day late and a dollar short, as usual! I’ll be ready for 2024 though. Sunburnt and with a tattoo gotten the same day burnt into me by the eclipse sun. Not sure if that happens with tattoos, but no matter-- oh yay!

TIL…

Our brain is quite an impressive ting. 85 billion (10^9) brain cells, nonetheless. But, have you ever considered how many cells are in a human body? The answer for an average male 170 cm high weighing 70 kg it’s 30 trillion (10^12) cells. Or, in other words, the brain represents roughly 0.3% of all the cells in your body.

And what a difference does it makes!