Too hard to have any fun as a solo new player

I think completely solo gameplay, just running missions on your own and not interacting, must get very boring very quickly. Its definitely possible though, to play it as an MMO but not in a group, but interacting with others in the sandbox, its just harder and it would be silly to expect the game to be balanced FOR that kind of gameplay.

Any games PvP that starts off from the mindset ā€œIā€™ll just wander around as a newbie in my newbie gear without doing any research or learning how/where to PvP, and hope for a good fair fightā€, is going to end in tears.

Yours.

5 Likes

Wut? Solo is amazing fun and extremely viable.

6 Likes

Perhaps, but I make more isk and achieve more success in fleets than alone. Unless you run several accounts, in which case congratulations! Youā€™ve managed to make even having your own corporation boring

Thatā€™s a personal thing and depends entirely on personal aptitude. What you initially wrote was ā€œYou canā€™t be successful in EVE aloneā€ which is demonstrably false.

Thatā€™s not solo. There are folks who see 1 guy running a fleet of 20 alts as a ā€œsoloā€ thing but it really isnā€™t in the way i think weā€™re meaning here.

2 Likes

if you go running on the train tracks donā€™t get upset when you get hit by a train. as said smartbombers, and bubbles, typically expect you to come from one angle, if you change the angle you avoid the attack. it is common in nullsec to create bookmarks a few 100km off the gate so you can warp to the ping, and then the gate to avoid most bubbles.

Smart bombing is a valid tactic, there is the possibility you were carrying billions of isk in cargo. Iā€™ve seen billions of isk in implants, blueprints, salvage, or other high value low volume cargo, go by in frigs and even shuttles.

1 Like

@Quintus Aideron
sorry but do you think you really understand this kind of game?
if you think EVE is boring why are there so many online?
could it be that you do EVE wrong and so it is no fun for you or EVE is just not the game for you?
so nothing is wrong with EVE but with you and your way to play it?

if i think back in my beginnertime ā€¦ best thing was join a corp ā€¦ not a big one ā€¦ not in nullsec ā€¦ just stay in HS/LS ā€¦ start something to make isk ā€¦ to pay your ships ā€¦ join this guys in PVP small fleets with cheap ships ā€¦ get experience ā€¦ learn
you cant win EVE anyways so ā€¦ take it as it is or go an play WOW

if you want help you can contact me ingame ā€¦ maybe there is something for you ā€¦

JuuR

2 Likes

I think the problems endemic to OPā€™s original post. EVE is a lot les fun flying solo, your opportunities are limited and your backup / support is nonexistent. If that works for some players, right on, but Iā€™d strongly encourage people to try and get into fleets rather than fly alone if they feel like me this game isnā€™t a any fun solo.

I love mining in fleet with buddies. Itā€™s so boring solo mining. Itā€™s fun to fleet up and have someone to talk to

I havenā€™t gotten into a cheap fleet roam yet. I want to badly.

Iā€™m not very good or knowledgeable at this game so take it with a pinch of saltā€¦

The way I would view Eve Online from an MMO perspective is that it is a competition for resources. We acquire resources to produce assets and we use assets to guard resources. And there is a directly correlating risk/reward system (Security space) that complements this idea as a progression.

You can choose to work through that progression by starting in the safety of HiSec while building up, and you might even end up on some level of security space that is satisfactory for your play-style, or you can choose to fast forward and go straight to the NullSec stuff provided the corp you join is able to protect and help you. Either way, I suggest you join an active corp as early as possible.

I imagine HiSec and LowSec based corps can rally respectable resources and assets in relative safety if they coordinate themselves well, but surely not comparable with large corps holding significant territory in NullSec space. All the other stuff like Incursions, Faction Warfare, Exploration etcā€¦ to me are nice additions for ISK generation - but the core game I imagine is competition for resources.

Wars are not won through mere PvP encounters, as fun as these are, but rather through resource attrition on one side or another over time. Once you understand that, you will understand why solo play is a waste of time :slight_smile: Sure it is viable, but not what I think the system of Eve Online is all about. This game is about working together to out-compete others. And choosing wisely who you go against and who you side with.

I could be very wrong but thatā€™s how I see this game at the moment. Well, thatā€™s the beauty of sandbox, because I get to choose. But of course, alternatively, you can join a corp who just knows how to have fun and be done with it - you donā€™t need to take it seriously either :slight_smile: Thereā€™s something for everyone.

But I hope that explains why your 2 million ISK ship doesnā€™t belong where you found yourself :stuck_out_tongue: And hope you now see the point (Potentiallyā€¦ if Iā€™m right).

3 Likes

You learn form others in this game, its the fastest way to learn. A good corp would have warned you about these and how to avoid them.
The amount of stuff I have learn form just sitting in comms in my few months playing eve is more than the 100ā€™s of hours of youtubes and googling I have done. You still need to do tins of research anyway, but it most definitely helps, as does lurking in new player streams btw.
" you can have an orgasm by yourself, but its much more fun if you have a partner" :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately EVE doesnā€™t appear to be the game for you then. No hard feelings if you gave it a good go. The point is that unlike any other game out here you HAVE to pay your dues in this game. You have to climb the sheer cliff face of experience. That said there is plenty of stuff to do at every level of experience. You could have tried approaching EVE UNI who would have helped you out.

In my experience when I was starting out 13 years ago and I reached the point you are there always seemed to be something that happened just as I was about to unsub to keep me playing. Over the years I have quit a few times, usually not for very long though before the game lured me back in. At the end of the day it is the community that keeps most of us going. Maybe try interracting with it in game and find some like minded souls with whom to share the experience.

1 Like

Eve is like fishing in RL. When you go fishing, you can fish all day - walk up and down a beach, go all over a lake, hit every spot on stream and you may get nothing; be totally skunked. Or maybe you do catch a fish - the time you take actually catching that fish pales in comparison to the amount of time that it takes to actually find the fish. Maybe a fews seconds or minutes of excitement compared to the hours of looking. Yet despite all of the frustration associated with finding fish, fishing is still great. Its the search, the strategy involved, the journey not destination. The same can be said for many different types of real world activities. Now, if you are looking for instant gratification, fishing is not for you and neither is eve.

BTW if Eve was an instant gratification game, I doubt it would have lasted as long as it did. Iā€™ve been playing eve now for 7 or 8 years. I strongly believe that it is the complexity of the game and its similarity to various rl activities that keeps it interesting. If eve was just another fly around and shoot things game it would have died out years ago.

2 Likes

Find freinds, have fun. No freinds is EVE on harcore mode.

I actually reached a point where Iā€™m spending more time talking to the corp members then actually playing the game.

Thereā€™s just so little fun to be had in this game. Yeah itā€™s a sandbox, but the sandbox card works if you have a increasing player count which you can interact with in-game. Sadly EvE has the opposite trend.

Other activities besides PvP are mind-numbingly boring:
Solo PvP - you have to spend 2h in find an equal fight in lowsec.
PvE - everytime I PvE I keep asking myself why do I torture myself with this game, most boring ā– ā– ā– ā–  ever conceived.
Exploration - after scanning for 2h you just want to end your life.
Mining - if you like mining you should re-evaluate your life.
Manuf/Trading/Hauling - boring as ā– ā– ā– ā– .

Good points there. Iā€™d consider the loss of a cheap frigate a good price for getting some of that experience myself. Itā€™s not that long since I did the Angels Epic Arc, for example, and managed to lose a perfectly good Rifter to the NPCs. Embarrassed to say I chose the wrong target in a fight and pounded on a well-tanked ship while the paper-thin adds were also hitting me. In essence I was taking damage needlessly for far too long. Taking the small ones out first should have been my first move, but the lesson was relatively cheap and now Iā€™ll remember it.

1 Like

It sounds like you should eithe join a bigger Corp or find a new game to play

Do you not have any friends who also like fighting, why not duel them if fair fights are your bag? Itā€™s like youā€™re invading someone elseā€™s country and complaining they always gang up on you. Why did you expect a fair fight? Is it not better to plan for the unfair fight? Bare in mind as i mentioned, fair fights are easily achieved by using your friends and training together.

Why are you under the impression that I donā€™t play other games besides EVE? lol
I am perfectly able to play different genres of games while at the same time log on into EVE from time to time.

As for the joining a bigger corp, it will probably solve some of the issues I have with this game. However, I hate having to depend on others for content creation. Something about having to wait for someone to start a fleet so I can have some content and fun just does not sit well with me (nothing against people that do enjoy it).

And this gets me back to my main issue, creating content as a solo player is either extremely hard or extremely boring.

Fair fights are not my ā€˜bagā€™. But fighting Cruisers in T1 Frigates tends to not become so fun after you die 100 times.
We are actually talking about ā€˜Solo PvPā€™ and your solution to my problem is for me to bring a friend. Strange.

1 Like

If youā€™re talking about solo PvP you should just accept that itā€™s hard. Obviously.