Too hard to have any fun as a solo new player

I get why you’re so passionate about playing solo, but this game doesn’t come alive until you’re operating in a fleet. Players are your content creation in EVE because running missions is a brain dead activity unless you’re doing burners. Players make up all of your support and conflict. You cannot get away from the main point, EVE is a social PVP game and it’s expected that you’ll find a niche somewhere by cooperating with your Corpmates. You cannot achieve the same success as a solo player unless you’re multi boxing, or in other words, simulating having Corpmates.

Have you tried the “Bringing Solo Back” channel? It’s specifically there for pilots who want to hook up for solo fights and is actually quite legit most of the time. It takes approx 8 seconds to type the name of the channel, search it and ask a randomer for a fight… not 2 hours… just throwing that out there :facepalm:

2 Likes

Eve is so much easier playing with others. Solo players have a hard go of things in this game.

Well I don’t know or do much PvP.

Exploring, PvE, and just roaming is more or less best done solo.

I know mining is a super slow activity, can be quite a torture solo for any extended time. It’s tons more interesting in a fleet of friends.

It’s a bit like AA on this forum.

“Hi, I’m Quintus I totally don’t understand the concept of PVP”

“Bye Quintus”

Some never realize that they are the content for others…

1 Like

Well, i just installed this game after learning it has gone F2P. Wanted to do some mining only to find out alphas cant really mine, like at all. All the necessery skills are all behind paywall. I guess that was a waste of 2 hours.

Plus your obvious waste of time searching the forum, logging in and write down your woes.
Some people just leave me in a maze. What’s your mission, spreading bad vibrations?

You have 0 idea what you’re talking about.

Two sentences of rubbish bookended by a further two sentences exhibiting misunderstanding.

2 Likes

Playing solo can be just fine.

Jony Pew, thelonewolf, countless others.

It’s also very hard to have fun playing Chess solo…

Maybe you are doing it wrong. Let’s see…massively multiplayer online game…playing alone…

2 Likes

The venture is very good mining ship compared to the Navitas(used to be racial mining bonused ship before the venture, 5% bonus to mining and 200m3 cargo).

A max alpha can pull 22.5k an hour which isn’t bad at all. Considering that if u submit or Plex a barge is 45-60k(untanked) an hour. Plus I’m friendly with the local miners and I can catch a mining boost most days if I feel like asking around, that’s usually around 31.6k a hour.

3 Likes

Adding a container/MTU and a Miasmos, mining is not as futile as some might think for Alphas.

“EvE isn’t a game you play, it is a hobby you do.”

It is the uncertainty of interaction that makes this game what it is. Alas, it is also what causes the more “boring” moments, though this is easily outweighed by the exciting ones. The more interactions you seek out, the more exciting things can be, so expectedly solo play can be boring.

1 Like

I just put a tractor beam, salvager, and sensor booster with a speed script on mine and I’m very happy.

I like that this game is “boring” much of the time. Because you get to sit back soak up the atmosphere, read the chat, check prices, play with some fits, look up info etc etc…

Conversely if you are playing other online games you are almost always glued to the game, no time to talk, focusing on pressing buttons and dodging stuff. You have to force yourself to stop playing in order to socialize, if you aren’t pressing buttons every second, you are just doing literally nothing.

4 Likes

Good point. I like the fast pace action, but after two hours of killboard tweaking, I‘m happy to jump back home, chill and watch my wallet blinking green. :wink:

1 Like

Smartbomb gatecamps can severely damage and/or destroy frigates and destroyers while they are landing on top of the smartbombing battleship. For other types of offensive modules you will basically be invulnerable as you are untargetable while landing - and untargetable while instantly jumping the same servertick you landed.

The battleship has to be atleast 5000m from the gate and his large smartbombs will have 5000m range 360 degrees in every direction (from the edge of the ship model) - so he has to choose an angle in which to position himself. Very often the smartbombing pilot will choose to be angeled towards trafficked gates on the other side of the system. Because most pilots just press “jump” on the next gate and warp directly.

If you come from a different angle. The smartbombs wont hit you.
One or two battleships cannot cover an entire gate.

What you wanna do is d-scan the gate at 5 degrees from a celestial in range from the gate (14,3 AU away max). If you see battleships you warp to a ping and outmanouver him, or warp from an angle 90 degrees or more and outmanouver him, or warp to 50-100km and out-manouver him.

Just lazy-jumping around gate-to-gate in lowsec and nullsec won’t cut it. You will be caught. And that’s what happened to u.

To find data and relic sites without rats in wormholes, you have to enter a C1 -> C3 wormhole. There you will find both sleeper guarded hack sites and unguarded npc rat sites. If you go into harder wormholes than that, you wont find any at all. It might be better to fly exploration around in nullsec where all hacksites are unguarded npc rat sites.

I am an older player. Late 30’s and father of 3 kids. I play 2 nights per week. I have alot of fun in EVE every time I play.
When you solo EVE and you’re not part of a community, it can be boring. I have soloed EVE, and had alot of less entertaining moments. Join a community. There are several great corps in high, low and nullsec that will accept you and take you under their wings. If you want to do PVP, look for a PVP corp. There’s a lot of great fites to be had.

There’s also alot of great Solo PVP content to be had in this game. But flying solo you’re weak against a small gang or a fleet. You really have to know the ropes and push your ship to the limits. Not something you start out with and succeed at.

1 Like

I can understand why the limits of the alpha account can seem tight when you go solo. But the alpha account state is not really as limited as you think. Let me give you some examples:

• The Alliance I am a part of has Alpha battleship doctrines (fittings), and frequently hand out loaner battleships to alpha players who cant afford them or does not have them where the battle is. So they too can join large fleet battles in big ships.
  • They also have nullsec ratting fittings to enable alpha’s to do nullsec combat anomalies and earn around 40-50 mill ISK per hour. Or cheap salvaging fittings.
  • In adittion there’s alot of fittings for alpha’s in almost every fleet role.

You can access ALOT in this game as an alpha. If you get good at making isk you can plex yourself to omega state with ingame cash and unlock more isk making skills like for example planetary interaction, reactions, manufacturing, t2 / capital mining ships, blueprint research & copy etc. Many players have done it.

We have dudes in corp who omega 20+ accounts and does not pay to play the game. Micromanaging geniouses. It requires the know-how though. And to get that, you have to play it and be curious.

Keeping a closed mind and expecting EVE to be a fairytale served on a silver platter like in many other MMO’s you will be disappointed. In EVE you are not rewarded for putting countless hours into grinding - you are rewarded for being clever. Social engineering is a thing in EVE.

1 Like