Toxicity in Eve

8 Likes

Ebay is pretty toxic as well. If you don’t ship things within a day, cancellation requests fly in.

2 Likes

Ebay is not a game. Neither is craigslist.

It’s market PvP, I thought. Grrr, maybe I get that from playing too much Eve market PvP.

1 Like

EvE isn’t either. EvE is srs bzns

5 Likes

Because content :mask:

In my 11 short years here I have never had anything remotely negative said to me. But sometimes when someone wines about the game mechanics or issues they have with the game personally then that will usually trigger a responce which may not be pleasent to some WoW players.

1 Like

That’s rare! Do you mind if I’m your first?

There is no more open-ended a sandbox MMO experience than Eve, so you pays your dues and you can make of it anything you want. There’s plenty of checks and balances in place to reasonably assist in keeping you from discovering too many new Dumb Ways to Die, and dark and dire threats, insinuations and braggadocio lack all power to influence your pixel character in any way. So just ignore them.

And enjoy the game.

EvE community can be toxic. Gankers, griefers, scammers, bullies, extortionists (is that a word?) and other unsavory sort galore.

New Eden is a tough place to live in, and outsiders or new players can face a rather harsh crosswind.

But the thing is, players are usually rather harsh to outsiders of their own circle, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a highsec mining corp or a pirate band waylaying everything coming through lowsec - friendly towards their own, but standoffish or downright hostile to others.

My advise to newbies would be to stay off of Local or the (NPC) corp channel but do engage yourself in the Rookie Help channel. Even if you’re just four days old there’s still someone asking the question you’ve solved for yourself.

Next to it, there are returning or old players creating alts - so not everyone in that channel stepped right out of the bus. So Rookie Help could be a good place to form stable, long-lasting contacts.

3 Likes

The gankers I met were all nice people to chat and talk to. The only toxicity I ever experienced was from non-PvP or “elite” PvP players, players who perceive themselves as entitled or victims. But still these are rare cases, most people in New Eden just have fun.

5 Likes

How will that affect WOW players? Do they actively check other games forums to see people posting negatively about their game, nope they are levelling up and gaining gold loot or something like that. What a ridiculous statement.

See that was remotely negative about your lame WOW insult.

I criticise certain lame mechanics and I get the full toxicity of the forums, and I have never played WOW, screws your narrative doesn’t it…

Whereas I have had some nice chats with some gankers, I have also had one ganker link in local after a successful gank when AG tried to save it, a post in a miner bumping thread directly below Loyalanons sickening post where he was all happy about someone who was an AG player who killed someone and then himself. You cannot get more toxic than that, however later I had a nice chat with that person.

I have often seen gankers come into the AG channel and stir up stuff, yes gankers are into rainbows and unicorns, absolutely. What was that a pink elephant fly past my window, oooooh…

I think that while outside opinion of EVE is certainly toxic, the actual experience in game is very different.

Eve is a PvP centred game, there are rivalries, getting one over on your enemy, hating that guy who hotdrops in your area, but those are all part of what the game is. I wouldn’t regard it as toxicity.

Recently, I have been privy to some of the newbie corp channels and what I have found there is a helpful community assisting new players on advancing in the game. A place where us bitter vets set aside our differences to help nurture the game’s youngest. It stands trstament to most of the perceived toxicity in EVE being in good spirit, and while there are rare occasions where a player may go off the rails, this is in no way extraordinary in the MMO genre.

1 Like

We do?
The Geman help channel is more like wading waist deep through troll ■■■■, torch and pitch fork at hand, trying to rescue the newbies before they drown or run away scared.

3 Likes

Yeah I heard that. Some toxic :poop::fountain: that was running there, with old players being the cause. I thought they moved to different channel tho, after they were throwed out for trolling.

You seem to have a strong opinion about WoW players - meaning you secretly do play or have played WoW (and could never admit it openly, since your EVE experience would be destroyed) or someone close to you like your boyfriend or sibling plays it… either way, my comment got to you = WoW → that-a-way

3 Likes

In my contry EVE community has best opinion from all games. And it sustain that opinion. On forum are sometimes weird persons but forum is only small percent of players from main game.

1 Like

So you cannot see the toxicity of what you said in your first post and then in your reply to my reply. If I had played WOW I would admit it, I could just as easily say Elder Scrolls on Line, which I have played. All I can say is LOL…

1 Like

So, as Daffy Duck would say about some Eve players “You dirty Guys!”

Seriously, the most cursory glance at 99.9% of real life human interaction over the last few thousand years will find it bathed in blood 24x7. Treachery, slaughter, murder, war, torture, genocide, occupation, slavery, subjugation, matricide, patricide, infanticide.

I don’t see why humans playing an MMO based on PvP would be any different.

To paraphrase George Orwell “If you want a picture of the future (of Eve), imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever …”

3 Likes