Updates To Skill Training - live now on Singularity!

#3. it’s a bug. try two things to fix it. a) turn your audio off then on again b) slide your atmosphere advanced audio to 0

not really. they sorted it vertically and it wraps around to the other column after it gets halfway down the list.
which is gonna be a HUGE problem for n00bs. now they not only have no clue about ‘rank’ but they’ll also have their skill category start reordering itself constantly as they gain new “have requirements for”…talk about mindbogglingly complex.

2 Likes

current state of affairs on singularity

1. basically, you cannot properly ‘track’ your milestones…it’ll not ‘take’ after you close the skill panel shrug (aka the orb disappears next time you open it, although the system thinks it’s still being tracked)
  2. they’ve changed the icons a bit for skills. yay
  3. they’ve removed the + signs in the skill catalogue
  4. you can’t minimize the categories
  5. adding milestones to a personal skill plan no longer locks you out of opening the skill/character panel (it used to mean a restart of the client)
  6. ‘tracking’ a skill plan won’t add the skills to the queue…which is kinda weird but okay
  7. they have not scaled the skill list icons to size of skill panel. But, they did decrease the size of the icons by a smidge (they just removed the + sign. apparently somehow that allowed 13 skills to show in the scroll bar window…up from 11…but that was down from 13 initially. ikr?)
  8. they changed the icons for “copy” to personal skill plan, most likely to lessen the assumption it’ll be import/export in the sense of ‘copy’…they still have the same wording though
  9. i can’t drag the skill plan into the skill queue
  10. some items no longer are allowed to be milestones (probably in an attempt to fix that particular bug. just rip out code, yay!)
  11. well, hopefully ordering the graphics dept to come up with new icons for categories didn’t take away essential coding work to improve the system beyond ripping out code.
  12. you can hover over the category to see the current tranquility info sheets
  13. skill point totals are shown in the upper right and update real time
  14. you can see 20 skills in the skill queue for the skill catalogue in full screen (i forget if that’s less or more than before)
1 Like

Ahhh, you’re right, it’s actually an English Proverb…

well, it’s certainly not icelandic. lol

already better, but still not really optimal use of space

1080p screen resolution

1 Like

If CCP really wants to push it, make it optional, like the map.
I am only two years old, but it hurts my brain. Its a step back. The game it self is huge and complex, and new players have to invest time to reading and understanding things. This new skill plan is just more difficult to understand than the current one. And does not even look good.
I never understood people whom needed a hand holdings during “skill planning”. If someone cant right click on an item and read the requirements, wont gonna last long in this game anyway.

7 Likes

Totally agree with this.

Two weeks after the initial release on Sisi and CCP still hasn’t “fixed” most (if anything) related to the feedbacks in here (I was also giving my thoughts, but on the wrong forum thread (new NPE))

You removed so much useful information with this revamped skill window.
In particular, knowing the time to complete the next level of any skill is a must to me. I like to plan my queue, as much as possible, by shortest to longest to train, so that I get the most of them asap. You might have thought that by removing the 24h limit for alpha this information was not useful anymore, but it would be a wrong assumption.

Also, I don’t like the sorting in which the skills are listed : alphabetically by column : too much scrolling down and up. I much prefer the actual on Tranquility where they are sorted alphabetically by line. If there is a mix feeling among players’ preferance (I may understand cultural preference for reading), please add the ability to select the sorting we want.

Some have suggested it already, but I want to repeat it : add the possibility to import/export the skill plans in a similar way we do with fittings. Only be able to share them through chat, you then can’t share them within your alts on the same account, or to your different accounts if you don’t multibox. Importing from/exporting to clipboard or file (and through shared folders? I still have to figure out how they work for location bookmarks…)

Thanks for increasing the limit of the skill queue (it is currently a pain at 50 on my Omega account where I still have so much to train) and the removal of the 24h limit for alpha.

5 Likes

Bug:

• Earlier, the huge blue square buttons to add skills to the queue had a + sign. I don’t see it now.

• Applying unallocated skill points don’t show the time saved. I have 150k from 30 day login reward, and I see “Est: None saved”. It could be applying the skill anyway, but it is hard to tell: the 2 blue color shades are too similar for my eyes to notice.

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

• Now there is not the slightest bit of space at the left side of the queue which puts the level squares smack at the very edge of the queue. looks bad.
  • Obvious text overlaps are obvious.
  • The huge divider space between catalogue and queue doesn’t get much smaller in the smallest possible window size. Why?
  • The skill list shows a functional scroll bar even though there is nothing to scroll.
  • The existing skill queue shows empty squares for untrained skill levels in the queue, which makes it much easier to see which level you are training. This is particularly important to have in the new Skill window because the running level is hidden by the time
  • Clicking too fast on the Add to Queue button ignore the second or third click. Why is it possible to multi-click the button if it doesn’t work?

Adding another time unit into this already way too narrow queue list, as pointed out in Updates To Skill Training - live now on Singularity! - #188 by Eofar post, makes the hiding of information even worse for long skills.

grafik
This is unnecessarily longer than just saying 39 days. Plus, it is not clear. 1 Month can be anything from 28 to 31 days. No one cares about EVE counting in 30 day months. This change makes nothing clearer or better and only introduces more confusion.

I am still not at all a fan of the alphabetical sorting of the categories. It makes no sense that Armor and Shied are on opposite ends of the list, while the irrelevant Corporation Management is right below Armor.

I also don’t understand why the space above the Skills catalogue was wasted for the Skill Plans/Skill Catalogue slider switch. These 2 things should be Tabs at the very top of the window. The long black space above Training Queue that stretches across the entire window offers enough space for these tabs. That would free up much needed space for the skill list.

6 Likes

could be an artifact of the test server that is corrected by the live server, i’m guessing.

i’d like to ‘heart’ one or two of what you say but i don’t agree with most of that is even relevant or correct.

Not sure what you mean there. I don’t see anything on the current patch notes regarding applying unallocated skill point on Tranquility. With the Caldari Union day I did apply skill points on many characters without issues for days. Before that it was skilling spree, for days without issue.

I’m talking about Singularity here. They did a big revamp of the Skills window, if you didn’t check. That is the subject of this thread.

They broke something in the window to apply unallocated skill points. That’s all I was saying. The rest is up to the Devs to fix it, wherever the root cause of the issue is.

I’ve been redoing all of my characters skill queues on the main server since I saw this thing, it’s a friggin pain in the ass knowing something this bad is coming and knowing that the only hope for it is that it be optional.

The person who compared to Windows 8 above nailed it in every way.

It’s really kind of depressing knowing that something this bad is coming, are you going to do this to other stuff? Or is it just the skill window this is happening to?

1 Like

What would be not relevant or correct? Everything I wrote about is visible in the screenshots. Care to give examples of what is not relevant or correct?

Instead of your cryptic comment it would have been much more helpful if you had quoted what you like and what you agree with or think is incorrect or irrelevant.

The Agency was first, this is the next thing. They are also talking about the market and naturally all other things concerning the UI will eventually follow … unless CCP has already jumped on the next UI style bandwaggon because they take decades to redo their UI.

3 Likes

TL;DR: the new UI is missing some information from the old UI + some suggestions for improvements

I logged into SiSi today and immediately found a feature that I value and use all the time was missing from the new UI.

In the old skill UI, when I hover over a skill in the skills tab of the character sheet, it shows the skill description and then a line with the current level, the amount SP trained into the skill, and the maximum SP than can be trained. There’s also information about the current rate of training, and time to completion for the active skill. It would be great to get some of this information back into the UI.

A couple of suggestions/thoughts:

• The question I’m often trying to answer is how long will I need to train a particular skill to the next level or two. Having an easy way to answer that would be great.
  • It would be great if I could always see all of this information in both the Skill Catalogue and the Training Queue. It’s unfortunate that I have to switch around to see different amounts of information in different places in the current UI.
  • Textually communicating the current level and the one being training aren’t that important since they’re represented graphically in the five boxes so that could be dropped from the text in hover, but might help new folks decode the coloured boxes.

What I’d love to see is that on hover for all skills - currently training/in queue/not training - in both the Skill Catalogue and the Training Queue is:

• SP until the next level (this would be new, but would save us from subtracting 6- and 7-digit numbers)
  • SP until the queued level (new)
  • Time until the next level (new)
  • Time until the queued level
  • Current training rate (SP/minute)
  • Current SP invested in the skill
  • Max SP you can train

Maybe something like:

Next Level (4):        90 SP - 2m
Queued Level (5): 210,835 SP - 3d, 6h, 8m
Training rate:         45 SP/m
Skill Points:      45,165 / 256,000

Example of the new UI for a skill in training (same for all other states):

Example of current UI for a skill in training:

Example of the current UI for a skill not yet trained:

9 Likes

for skill plan mile stones show images of the mods/ships that you make as the milestone. rather than just these generic icones.

still need to be able to make custom mile stones and those can use the generic icons or even better let us drag and drop an item into them for an icon.

Include a way to turn off display of skills I’ve completed to level V. Generally, displaying those skills is unnecessary clutter.

… like the agency which opens a huge window instead of something small you can open while in space without dying…

… or the scanner window that opens full screen… ccp wants us all dead obviously

… or the redeem items window with all ■■■■■■■■ icons instead of the easy to use and sortable list we had before.

current user interface design sucks in so many ways

4 Likes

You must be new here. : )

4 Likes