Upwell Hangars Evolved

Make separate graphic settings for in-space and in-station

5 Likes

back in the day when you where able to walk around on the sation with your toon. (imo why better then this new hangar) there was a option to turn that off and view the classic hangar only.

at this point ccp is killing things off that work well and impliment it worse later.

2 Likes

Just one more feature no one needs and actually kills the gaming experience for us who try hard to play on low end hardware. i already have all settings to low, used to multibox 4 clients. with the advent of proton ui, i can run only two clients without the constant “exefile.exe not responding” on at least one of the clients. gpu is 100% all the time. even with nothing happening thats worth using gpu power for. the inactive client crashes every now and then with a message it tried to access graphics hardware.
Please, get the game fixed before you introduce new stuff.

While I appreciate the sentiment about having to deal with graphic changes when one has lower ended equeipment, and I do think that there needs to be some granularity of support for lower ended hardware, I think there is a limit to this.

I do not want changes to the game to be driven by the lowest common denomitator.

Yes try to accomidate as much legacy as possible for people who don’t have a choice.

Yes I have higher end system, and the changes have ben enjoyable. I would be very dissapointed to go backwards.

As to this statement I see a lot:

This is such a nebulous statement. if you asked 10 people what ‘fixed’ means, you would get 12 answers. We should also be aware that teams that work on graphics are generally not teams that work on other content. It isn’t a zero sum game.

Cool - so the question then becomes whether graphics in a non-functional part of the game, where the changes cause grief to not only those on low-end equipment but also high-end (Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB RAM, RTX3070 for me) are the best place for that team to be working, or if there’s other areas of the game they could work on.

They removed “walking around in stations” because it was resource-intensive and added nothing to the game. They’ve just re-introduced the same issues with the same benefit.

4 Likes

EVE needs fancy graphics as that is useful for trailers and other PR efforts, and it does look absolutely amazing.

Maybe the easiest solution would be to allow us to define our own “optimise settings” presets. That way we can still have a potato mode for big fights, but can also adjust the “quality” preset to what our GPUs and ears can tolerate. Right now I end up using quality preset, and then adjusting it extensively to keep GPU load where I like it.

This way we all get easy switching between the modes, while game still retains the amazing graphics for those that can/want to run it at max.

PS: This should not be seen as a way for CCP to avoid optimising their graphics engine. Vulkan (why the hell did you not go for that instead of locked down DX12??? ) and DX12 (atrocity that it is) demand a lot more optimisation by the game programmers. It would be a good start to optimise hangars in DX11 at least (as it is substantially easier than under Vulkan/DX12).

Nobody is going to start playing Eve because the hangers look amazing, particularly when the rest of the game has the chequered reputation that it has. And nobody who was going to quit the game (new player, experienced player, whatever) will suddenly change their mind about quitting because the hangers suddenly have [resource hogging] fancy graphics.

4 Likes

the new hangars are more efficient than the old ones, not less.

stay in albion, don’t come back.

they didn’t go with vulkan, because it is useless, buggy garbage. Nothing less than directx 12 is acceptable anymore for games.

DX11 is legacy support only. doing major active development on it would be as ridiculous as MS doing feature development on windows vista.

Albion disagrees with you. Graphics so simple it can run on phones. Already more popular than Eve and seems to be growing.

Actually… there’s a lot of things Eve could learn from Albion.

I don’t think thats a fair comparison. SpaceSims were always a niche product compared to the medieval character building RPGs, with player numbers not even close. I am sure Albion has some good ideas and mechanics, it yet has to prove that it can sustain a business model for 20+ years. And tbh, Graphics and Effects are by far more important in a game that tries to sell the player the immersion of a vast Universe to explore, than it is for an history-based game. See Diablo3, Warcraft3, Torchlight… all rather comic graphics, yet incredible successful at their times.
All the SpaceSims I remember, from WingCommander over X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, Privateer etc… they all had to use the top-end graphics of their time to sell. I sincerely doubt EVE could benefit from low-end graphics to “run on phones”.

So you can still play the game if you have graphics on low.

Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB RAM, RTX3070, 3440x1440 graphics. I should not need to lower the graphics to play.

2 Likes

yes, game runs fine on low settings, however, if you mean low end graphics, it is more demanding, so for me i can’t multibox as i could befoe

1 Like

I like the way the hangars look, but not how the computer heats up the room unintentionally. A beautifully rendered static 2D image of my spaceship docked at the new gorgeous hangar will work for me as a toggle option.

My graphics are now turned down across the board to get my sweet framerate back in hangars. The whole game gets to look worse in my system because of this upgrade. And no, CTRL+SHIFT+F9 is a kluge, and doesn’t turn off graphics in hangars alone, but across the whole game.

Ships remain docked when I leave the room to do something else, but don’t want to log out of the game. The whole time with me not playing, the computer is using up a lot of energy just to display a static camera angle of my ship in the hangar. EVE should notice that I haven’t done any input for awhile and freeze stuff up.

The extra energy that my computer uses when my ship is docked, generates excess carbon dioxide that goes to the atmosphere, and money flows to energy exporting nations, who seldom allocate them in a pro-social manner.

I suggest you consider the whole impact on player experience when you introduce big changes. I suspect someone at CCP raised the flag on this, but got dismissed as a party pooper at some point.

4 Likes

i run 7 clients most of the time with the new changes i have had to unsub two just so that me cpu does not die. thx for the changes ccp.

1 Like

It seems like CCP are more interested in keeping their shiny new hangars on than improving playability. I’ve had to reduce my settings across the entire game just so I don’t have my machine freezing up when I dock in Jita.

2 Likes

Toggle 3D View with Ctrl+Shift+F9
It’s what I do when all I need is the UI (especially when Jita is laggy, or there’s severe TiDi)

1 Like

If only there was a setting to do that automatically when docking. the constant flickering of stuff in dock drives me crazy

I’ve rebound the shortcut to “Pause” on my keyboard, and that’s what I press if I plan to sit inside browsing the market, and don’t want my GPU sounding like a jet exhaust :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes