So since you’re looking at redesigning the mechanics around upwell structures, I have one request which would make things much more viable:
Remove the DPS cap for capital ships.
Keep the DPS cap for subcaps, but allow a group to drop capitals to kill a structure faster. DPS minimums to pause the timer would be unaffected by this request.
- It would see a LOT more capitals on-grid, which in turn could lead to many more capital escalations in fleet fights
- It would make players less likely to hang themselves with their own computer’s power cord during a structure bash
- It would completely break the strategy of structure spamming. Astras and Rets are WAY too cheap for large groups, they can drop them far faster than their opponents can kill them. If you can blap a structure in 5 minutes with a couple dreads, the strategy becomes moot.
- It forces an alliance in low/null to be ready to keep their capitals in a more balanced position or risk being out of position if their opponent drops caps and theirs aren’t in range
Pre-emptive answers to “why not”:
- It’s capitals only, so in places like highsec where the newbie groups are, there’d be no change
- The defensive side has the timers to allow them to coordinate a defense. They don’t NEED a DPS cap.
- If the offensive side can bring overwhelming force to bear to chew down the structure “a lot” faster, they deserve to chew it down faster. They’ve committed a capital group to the endeavor, which is a strategic move that deserves to be rewarded.
- Subcaps can still counter capitals. Quite easily in the right comps/quantities. Smaller groups aren’t completely neutered, just forced to fight harder or hire mercs.