US Senator Introduces Ban on Loot Boxes, "P2W" - NOT A TROLL THREAD!

EVE doesn’t have the standard loot box thing other games do.You don’t pay real money to open some crate or buy some items you use for chance based enchanting we only have a rather expensive form of pay to accelerate your character ‘level’ from the cash>PLEX>isk>injectors thing

You’ve given 2 very vague things that could easily have just been wild guesses. I’d be curious to know how many times your guesses did not come true, but confirmation bias would suggest that you don’t remember those instances.

That being said, because EVE doesn’t currently have loot boxes, I don’t think there needs to be any concern.

1 Like

Not that any of this actually matters for EVE anyway …

… it’s easy to deal with:

Ban US IPs/people from playing.

Game will lose players but improve in quality dramatically.
Focus on EU/AU/RUS people instead, they’re much higher quality with less whining.
They’re much more competitive and less demanding princesses.

2 Likes

It’s not. It’s a prediction based on probability and statistics.

Which is what people mean when they say p2w so I’m not so sure it does not qualify.

It doesn’t offer you better equipment compared to those who don’t pay. It’s not the same thing. This whole pay2win ■■■■■■■■ began with companies milking money from people with more money than self-confidence by selling them items they could use to beat others more easily.

EVE never had that. Only the shallow thinkers assume that it’s comparable, but it actually isn’t. Sure, there’s still people with low self-confidence who buy injectors via ISK to get to use something faster, but in EVE it does not in any way or form actually make you any better than others.

People who use such offerings usually aren’t actually cognitively equipped to be better than others. If they were, they’d not waste money on an offering that’s actually ■■■■■■■■. It’s not smart people who waste money on such things, it’s dumb the cognitively challenged with low attention spans and a need for instant gratification.

Apparently a majority of people nowadays.

We shouldn’t let simple minds define what is, and isn’t, because … well … it’d be way too simple and not actually reflecting reality.

How to make CCP go broke

If you add insults like “shallow thinkers” to your arguments that just makes it look like you have no actual confidence that they are convincing on their own.

It does not matter if you can get that stuff by playing. The point of some p2w mechanics (not all, as the invented multiple ways to take advantage of susceptible people) is to enable you to bypass the grind by using your credit card. PLEX qualifies for that. And the discussion is not really what the impact is on the game, the discussion if someone would sue is how this is designed to “trick” people into spending insane amounts of money on a computer game.

The only reason they add micro transactions to game is to leech more money from the players, in the case of EVE on top of what they already pay for a rather expensive monthly subscription. I always said this is shady, but they obviously do it because they can and people are stupid enough to pay 20$ for a different color on an internet spaceship.

CCP is obviously not the worst example, but they are not innocent either.

A republican saying lootboxes are bad? His kid must have borrowed his credit card and maxed it out on them. Or he sees an easy way to get EA to bribe him to back down.

Maybe. It could also be that the game has a new creative director and this is his vision that he couldn’t otherwise make a reality until he got the job. Seagull was all about citadels. New guy is apparently about black hole people.

1 Like

I was curious to see how something like this would resonate. I’m a fan of getting rid of this type of business model but a republican pushing it? Oh man I bet Kotaku is blowing some fuses too

Apparently he thinks it’s cute and politically correct to troll gamers with the name of it too. “Protecting Children From Abusive Games Act”, which has a truly lovely acronym that I probably can’t say on here. (PC*** Act, really guy?)

2 Likes

Absurd name :laughing:

Nothing needs to change for mutaplasmid mechanics to be at least borderline “loot boxes”.

$$$ -> PLEX -> ISK -> mutaplasmid gambling

It’s important to accurately describe a game. If someone asks if EVE is P2W the correct answer is “it has P2W elements.” If someone asks if EVE has loot boxes the correct answer is “it has mechanics that can be used like loot boxes.”

I typically side against prohibitions, whether the target is gambling, drugs, etc, but it’s important to remember in this particular case that not everyone that considers these points does so simply out of wanting a “pure” gaming experience. Most of us struggle with addiction and/or impulse control at some point in our lives. For many, the only way to effectively quit an addiction is to completely avoid settings that facilitate said addiction (at least for some period of time after they first quit). Telling someone that EVE is plainly not P2W and does not have loot boxes is misleading, and such deceit may have a very negative impact on players with related addictions they are working to conquer.

For example, let’s say you are organizing a dinner for your co-workers and one of them asks if the dinner will take place at a bar (noting that he is a recovering alcoholic). It’s misleading to plainly answer “no” if the dinner will be held at a restaurant that serves alcohol and you know from experience that many of the people at the dinner will be drinking.

At the very least EVE has many game mechanics that will be of interest to anyone concerned with P2W and/or loot boxes. I’m fine with the way things are in these areas for now, but let’s at least be honest about it…

The Senator mentions protecting “kids” several times. Does he not know that plenty of adults also play MMOs? And that they’re about as easily manipulated into game addiction as children are? Or maybe the very unlikely is true, and his bill is specifically tailored to protect only kids and not adults.

no but no,
even Quafe doesn’t

kids are more susceptible to gaming addictions and buying stuff more so than adults. Also FYI, a Democrat started this.

Interesting.
TLDR, people are their own worst enemies.
Game devs included…

1 Like

Barely any realistic players use abyssals because most well thought out fits don’t have any room for CPU or PG fluctuations. If you’re talking about whales with trillions of isk let them have their fun with their slightly better ship. Two is almost always better than one, the situation is way more important than the fit, and like all other modules, those dank rolled ones drop.

For this reason I don’t see it becoming a ‘thing’.

1 Like

It wasn’t targeted towards Eve at all read the article it was targeted towards other games like fortnite brother you really got to learn to do research and if you re is targeted towards like Warcraft fortnite things like that Eve online for totally different thing you can grind your way with Plex they’re even Abyssal Deadspace there’s nothing that really is a loot box in here please do research and understand things before making a post like this in the future have a great evening

1 Like