Use of an orca for a single player without alts

That’s the only use for that hold.

My earlier point was my fit is fit for purpose and maximized the Orca use in a good way. But that I cant see how pushing Orca to 400,000 plus ehp fits that?

I also was curious how much that is skill dependent. Because if you arent fitting the Orca for speed you’re wasting its ONLY advantage over a freighter.

The freighter can do EVERYTHING BETTER than the Orca except 2 things.

Speed.
Low skills

Remote repairing?
Drone damage?
Mining?
Foreman boosts?
Shield boosts?
In-Belt refitting?

The freighter does one thing better than the orca: FREIGHT.

The Orca is not a freighter.

Sure you can use it to move goods and that might have situational benefit but that doesn’t mean your fit is good and it doesn’t mean other people should copy it.

If you want to use a shitfit Orca to move freight that is absolutely fine but you shouldn’t hop on to the forums telling new players to copy your bad idea because then you’re just getting somebody else ganked for their cargo. You didn’t even acknowledge the OPs actual use case.

A 400EHP+ Orca is an Orca that is significantly more expensive to gank. Given the OP intends to actually mine with his ship, and will be participating in fleets, he is a target for hostile player action.

A ship scanner and 3 seconds is all it would take for your ship to be functionally dead. It might take 20 seconds for that death to catch up with you. But when faced with a choice between expending 6 Tornados or 12 Tornados I know for a fact which Orca fit is more likely to be passed over for a softer target. Align time will not save you from ganking. Neither will warp acceleration. You have to survive 20 seconds under heavy fire. Tank is everything. If that means your journey takes longer then suck it up. If it means smaller cargos that’s a good thing with freight. Less value and larger tank means you’re less of a target. Make a second trip.

This is exactly the same logic they’re going to use when they pop you at a gatecamp in Niarja or Uedama, too. And if you take a look on zkill you will see the frequency with which low EHP Orcas die and you will see that the cargo value calculation you mentioned earlier in the thread does not protect you.

And it can go in the same hold you use for PI. I never specified goods had to be in the ore hold. You’re just being facile now.

Focus. That is the only thing I was comparing with you regarding your excessive ehp. (Unless you really need the ehp for a specific haul isk value like say lot of plex)

If you’re making battle orca for mission run or something then I wouldn’t compare it to a Freigter either.

Sacrificing m3 in the other holds for more ehp would be a mistake of the Orca’s freight capabilities is my point there.

You want a build that keeps EHP high…288k seems reasonable for low SP pilots like this char of mine.

At the same time it has 120000m3 of normal freight capacity.

While warping at 3+AU/s

And 10s alignment.

All significant advantages over a freighter for isk values that 288kehp makes sense for.

To go as high as 400k+ if it reduces those advantages then doesnt make sense to me unless you’re transporting something really high value.

Also a problem not mentioned is passive versus active ehp.

In HS you always want passive EHP when possible.

Undocking is your likely gank moment and is when you might have no ehp to speak of in an active build.

Now I know you’re trolling because hauling plex is not a real thing.

1 Like

If you were going one way with one high value haul then yeah I suppose this would make sense.

But if you’re active EHP it may be a false sense of security given undock issue.

Also…if you’re slower than a freighter to achieve it then I dont know if I’d bother with a 400k ehp orca?

I use the Orca cuz it can be faster.

I fit my cargo isk value to that reduced ehp. But rather have the speed

I might have been thinking of sp injectors.

All I recall is some fool on the killboard bout 4 months ago losing like 100B isk in something like a frigate out in Null.

Not going to bother looking it up.

I use my orca to shuttle sp injectors as well.

Hauling SP injectors is also not a real thing. You never have to remove them from the station they were created in.

Tell that to the bozo on the killboard

You can’t fit for stupidity.

2 Likes

There are different considerations on the gank side for attacking a mining orca vs attacking an orca in flight between gates.

Given the OP’s use case, high tank while still being mining-effective is a healthy approach, as it increases the expense for the ganker without significantly increasing the build cost for the OP, and thus they are able to mine longer with fewer interruptions/replacements and make more ISK than if they had to dock up to evade smaller gank gangs.

Yeah I’m just strictly promoting the Orca for use fast hauls HS.

I wasnt commenting on all its other uses others have mentioned

Let me help you out with skill injectors.

You transport the skill points still on your character sheet. You extract them in the station in which you intend to sell them.

If you’re buying, you buy them from the station with the best price using an alt at that station. Any alt. Make an alpha to do it or use one of your three character slots. You contract them to the consuming character (who can be an infinite distance away, say in a wormhole). That character accepts the contract. You right click on the injectors in your assets window and inject them remotely.

If you ever have a skill injector in your cargo you’re doing it wrong.

1 Like

I’m literally talking about an actual high value kill on the killboard. I’m not talking about it further lol.

Theres a dead guy. Probably in last 4 or 5 months

Who lost something like 50b or evenmore. Hauling something ridiculous like sp injectors or plex in something dumb like a frigate.

So I dont have to explain how it happens it just does lol.

People sell sp injectors to Jita. And you sell them in perimeter. That’s the market

You were talking about yourself when you used “I” and “my Orca” here.

I give a high probability to that board also being heavily flagged with ‘RMT’ votes. Because there is precious little real reason to transport a skill injector, as injectors can be applied from anywhere in the game - you don’t have to be in the same station as them to use them. It’s literally one of the most stupid things to manually move around. Just fly to the target sale station, buy your extractors from the NES, and extract, then put them on the market. Zero reason to haul either item anywhere, other than to turn yourself into a shiny gank target.

1 Like

I don’t think you guys understand what’s going on?

This is NOT the kill I’m thinking of. Idiots losing SP Injectors just seems to be a thing.

Don’t ask me why…

Other than a short hop for trading, I don’t know why people transport them in bulk.

Which is also why it’s pointless shipping them between TTT and 4-4. You can remote purchase and inject from anywhere in the region. The two markets don’t actually compete as two markets. It’s one market.