Using Alts to "Win" a Fight

Why do you need to educate people about dueling during warfare? It doesn’t happen IRL (or incredibly rarely) for a reason and also doesn’t happen in any combat sim game…

If you want to duel, duel…otherwise it’s war or at the very least, open combat.

I see and hear all this talk about “Alts”. What are they and how do you get them?

1 Like

Based on his other reply in another thread not sure if you can ever convince him that his moral high ground doesn’t exist.

He expresses his view that despite the devs made EVE a PvP everywhere game they should provide safe spaces where only opt-in PvP exists, not understanding that it is for a reason such do not exist in the first place. So in short he gets the game wrong and views it through his wishful glasses envisioning how things should be… like if he was asking chess to be played without anyone ever winning, as it is rude or whatever, so nobody wins, we just get along and live happy ever after.

He describes PvP-ers as “cavemen with club” and calls carebears who want to opt out of PvP in a meant to be PvP game the “reasonable people”. Spiced up with some moral superiority complex and applying real-life morals to a game, especially where the game is what it is and he is the one coming to expect it to change instead of playing it as intended and when one does not agree he assigns labels and all kinds of justifications that don’t apply in the first place.

So in short he is one of “those” types of people and as such I see no chance of ever showing him the errors of his thought process as that would require him to change his entire mindset, which let’s be honest will not happen.

2 Likes

Oh wow…really?

I haven’t come across him yet but if he is the space paladin type then you are right, there is no hope/point in trying.

Please like that blame the world for all the bad things that happen to them and never think that it actually might be the worlds fault but actually their own…

Thanks for the heads-up…

Rabbits.

1 Like

Not sure but my assumption is you see something in that response that is not there. Was just a joke in response to your (if understood correctly) sarcastic joke.

Edit: No longer applies as prior post was edited.

“Fair” fights is just one of the many ways you may PvP in EvE. Other players may not even find them particularly interesting. Some may actually find it more interesting figuring ways to get unfair fights through hunting or baiting rather than the fights themselves.

As others have said, EvE is a jungle, not an arena, and that openness is precisely one of the things that make it great. EvE gives you a lot of freedom and choices to play the game however you want, not to dictate how you’d like others play the game with you.

So while it’s certainly possible and there is nothing wrong with wanting “fair” fights if that’s what you happen to like, you have to do it with players that are also willing to play it that way. What you cannot pretend is that everyone else you’d like to engage should play the game the same way as you.

You need to somehow arrange for such a “fair” fight first, as opposed to engage anyone you want and naively expect he’ll want to play that way too. Even then, if you don’t know your opponent, you still have to consider the possibility that the other player may find it fun to play unfair if for no other reason to teach you a lesson not to trust anyone in EvE, but with the recent changes made to remote assistance you may now get very close to guaranteed “fair” fights using duels in high sec, for example.

1 Like

Oh, okay. My bad. It’s early… <3

1 Like

You are truly an insufferable git.

1 Like

Just ■■■■ off already. You have become way beyond tiresome.

1 Like

/kek.

I told him in an earlier post that I don’t normally read posts with “white boxes”, and he responded to that (summary: he thinks I should read such posts anyway). So we don’t agree, but it’s nothing to do with EVE, and neither of us will lose any sleep over it.

So it seems you’re just cherry-picking / sniping. If you were serious you’d have read all the relevant posts.

You apparently are one of those people who play this game on “Nightmare!” difficulty level. But the design is that all players of all levels are put on one server and can interact. You’ve chosen so. Accept your choice :slight_smile: Have balls and let those loosers blob you. You always win - morally. Unfortunately hardly ever - really.

1 Like

Well…i expected this kind of flaming…some people will stay cavemen forever and this is sad…

Every kind of war,RL or game is of evil,regardless if real or not…

If you don’t get this and favor war over peace please go back into your cave where those of your kind live and get rid of yourself clubbing your “enemy”…

Mankinds genepool deserves better than this… :slight_smile:

And i for myself have no enemies,cavedwellers maybe,but no reasonable people :slight_smile:

Do you put weapons on your ships?

Nice try but it will not work…

So you demand a better world but you refuse to answer one simple question.

LOL…sad…

Maybe he meant nice try convincing him to put weapons on his ship but in his opinion it will not work. :slight_smile:

Using an alt in a “solo” fight is kind of chicken ■■■■, IMO. You’re winning by baiting the other guy with one ship, then overpowering him simple by outnumbering him. The only victory was in tricking him into to accepting the fight. Which is a kind of victory, of course. But still, cheap thrills and/or KB padding.

I could imagine doing it once or twice, to see if I could manage the trickery. But on a regular basis would get boring. Where’s the challenge? I suppose it’s in wondering if the other guy is doing the same thing. Or if he’s bait for a whole fleet that could paste both of your char’s ships.

2 Likes

Depends on the situation, for example if you go to a ghetto (lowsex) expect to be ganged upon regardless of your expectations, while if you enter a duel in hisec for example then it is a reasonable expectation (and with the recent ban of neutral logi assistance CCP agrees and now should be a no issue most cases).

While I love the concept of honor especially in regards to knights, chivalry or bushi, the reality is that it’s a rarity IRL and that is reflected in EVE.

In a combat environment, if you are expecting or hoping “something” will happen, ie a fair/honorable fight, then you have already lost.

You generally don’t go into a fight thinking, I want to lose this one and neither is the other person and to that regard, all parties will do what they can within the rules of the environment to gain the advantage…to what degree is the “moral” question but even then that’s mostly pointless.

ie…in a 1v1 fight, if you learnt that you have 20M SP more than the other guy in a equal ship, would you back down as you have an unfair advantage? Of course not.

While baiting is agreeably cheap and dickish, the end goal is to win as it is in any conflict. If you were tricked then you lost; it’s as simple as that.

My 2 bits…

1 Like