Utari's Puppies (Formerly Off-Topic Thread)

So I had this nightmare where I was giving a lecture at the university, and I became aware that the audience seemed distracted and so I asked one of them what was wrong, and they said “professor you’ve forgotten your clothes”. Which in the dream I had.

2 Likes

That idiom doesn’t work the way you think it works.

What ?

1 Like

Where?

1 Like

When?

1 Like

Why??

1 Like

How??

1 Like

… who?

1 Like

So apparently among the six of us we represent the equivalent of one journalist?

6 Likes

Unless it’s gutter press…

:wink:

6 Likes

You’re all being laid off due to independent thought. Sorry.

-CC
Head Editor for Fluid Router and Real Life Media Distribution and Other Stuff such as Fancy Clothes

2 Likes

Can I still cash out my 401K?

3 Likes

That’s too much of a hypocrisy for such a short comment.

The Amarr are human, their lives have weight and their deaths, like the deaths of any human beings, should not be rejoiced in or cheered for their own sakes. I have been friends with a number of them.

They are also institutionally required to be zealous in their pursuit of a divine mandate to make people think the way they think, by any means necessary, which has historically meant violence more often than it has not. Undoing the harm they have done is impossible. Limiting the harm they are actively continuing to do will likely require bloodshed. Because they will not stop. At best, they will pause.

At worst, my friends and I will try to kill one another. At least one of us will almost certainly succeed. Either I or they may even have the opportunity to make that death permanent. If it comes to that—and when that bloodshed erupts, Aria, neither you nor I can say that such extremes will remain beyond the pale—and I am forced to take that course, I will mourn my friends… and I will celebrate every success.

And all of that violence will be the legacy of the Amarr, their slaving, genocide, and systemic torture and abuse, and their cowardly surprise attack on a people who had never done them any harm, or even knew they existed.

4 Likes

That’s fine, Arrendis.

I have my own place in this world. I don’t begrudge you yours.

1 Like

I know. And I don’t expect you to abandon yours. But as you tell yourself that the Matari are being unreasonable, just remember…

We have our reasons. And we know who bears the ultimate responsibility for all of this pain, and all of this fear, and all of this violence and death. And it’s not the Minmatar. Victims have a right to demand justice, and when it is denied to them, they have the right to take it, however they can.

3 Likes

And Aria, you felt hurt because what Deitra said was true.

1 Like

I … could argue this all out again, Arrendis. It’s tempting, what with vengeance begetting vengeance and all that. But actually one of your own has lately been reminding me of the degree to which these arguments really do write themselves, so I’ll leave it.

You have your people, and your cause, and I can’t say it’s not a valid grudge. So, if your Republic can really muster the military and economic power and the political will, I guess I’ll be here with the Empire when you’re ready. And I don’t think I’m going to be precisely what either your people or the Amarr want me to.

Maybe that’s a prideful stance to take, but, I guess, I am maybe a little proud to be where I am and stand where I do. I’ve been a ridiculously fortunate person. So I’ll pursue my role, because it’s a privilege to be able to do such a thing, and accept my death when it comes, in whatever form.

Thank you for contributing to my life, Arrendis. … Even if you killed me tomorrow, or the day after, I’d still be grateful to have known you. And if you do, please do it with a full heart. It’s okay, if you want to celebrate, after.

That’s part of your role, after all.

3 Likes

I really hate you all. Both of you managed to ruin my night. Now I’m going to go cry.

Not really seeing there being much to argue about, Aria. Just a reminder, really.

But no, I wouldn’t celebrate killing you. If killing you helped to free some people, I would celebrate their freedom… but not the cost of it.

2 Likes