Version 19.08 - General Feedback

I made a (horrifying) new character just to try out the new NPE, and while it was more fun and interesting (I actually enjoyed it) you are 100% correct, its is misleading and teaches stuff that isn’t likely to be relevant to new players for quite a while. Unless some corporation is actively scooping them up to turn them into disposable repair/ecm drones they aren’t likely to be using this stuff for a very long time I don’t think.
The NPE needs to focus on how to fight, escape, and survive. It needs to teach how to travel, how to dock and get into a new ship after taking a loss (meaning you have been blown up and need to build a new ship using the market and fitting window) and it really needs to lead directly into a career agent that specializes in PvP.
It should also not shove that AIR (whatever that means) skill crap in their faces, it really doesn’t teach anything (what skills are, why you need them, and how to make use of your queue) and doesn’t work very well at all.

2 Likes

they added a bit more information.
Also it proves the dammed thing can be modified… I was starting to wonder about that.
Now it needs to be modified until it looks and functions exactly like the old one, only faster and with more features.

1 Like

The NPE is about getting newbies excited and eager to try “cool stuff”. Many players try a new game for an hour, then go “boooooriiiiiing” and uninstall, THAT is what the NPE is for: cool stuff, being entertained.

Game mechanics are not an issue at that moment, those become an issue later.

2 Likes

Nice new tooltip. However.

grafik

Would CCP please be so kind and explain to the great unwashed why they tell me that Drone Rigging V takes 53 days to train? While the queue tells me it only takes 13D 18H to train. Naturally, the tooltip tells me the total time until the skill is trained in the current queue list. Which is a pointless information. Who needs to know how many days it takes me to train that skill in the queue that will most likely change every other day or hour (depending on how old the char is)? In this particular tooltip you need to know how long THIS skill level takes to train. It is confusing to see ever changing values in that particular tooltip when you add or take away skills from the queue. Didn’t CCP want to make things easier for new players? With this information there they make it more confusing instead.

This information, however, could be useful if it were shown in the tooltip that shows up when you hover over the skill IN THE QUEUE. There, and only there, a cumulative training time number would make sense because THERE I am not interested in knowing how long a particular skill takes to train (as it is already shown in the list) but how long it takes to get to a skill in the current queued skill list.

And no, the previous skill menu did NOT show the time until trained in the skill list. It showed how long it takes a skill level to train.

It this really that hard?

Also nice: Instead of fixing the overlapping issues by rearranging the button layout, CCP just removed the seconds from the total training time and in the queue they removed seconds and minutes to reduce the overlapping issues. But it still clips into the buttons if you have long queues, and so does the “Training paused” text:

grafik

The removal of time units makes skill training time calculation less precise and harder to understand. 2 things that new players really need to get a better understanding of skill training and training time. And CCP left the useless “1Mo” time unit in the queue in place even though it serves no purpose, makes the time reading less clear and more confusing and costs valuable queue space because CCPis not willing to make it wider.

But hey, at least they made the gap between the categories and the queue narrower.

8 Likes

This tooltip that pops up when you hover over an item that you not have the skill requirements to use is one of the most annoying things in the entire UI. It shows up at the wrong times, it blocks you from scrolling, it doesn’t go away like other tooltips and you can accidentally click on the Buy Skill button which opens up even more menus and screenblocking notifications.

It would be so nice if this tooltip would show up to the side or on the edge of the window you are currently scrolling through so that it does not block interaction anymore. Funky thing here is that CCP introduced the same annoying tooltip in the queue where it blocks scrolling up/down so that you can look through items unlocked by the skill. However, an equally important tooltip in the Categories that shows you the attributes for the category does not stay open and does not allow you to open the market with the respective attribute implant categories expanded.

2 Likes

Hey, just wanted to touch base and let you know that the gap is now smaller, along with quite a few other iterations and suggestions from the community.

3 Likes

Sorry for the lack of response - I promise I always read, but sometimes my dumb fingers forget to hit ‘reply’.

Duly noted!

1 Like

Annotation 2021-09-28 161829
when i drag skill from info panel to search box it is not work

i really like to download and load my [skill Plan Content ] from or to my hardware as a file so i can share it outside of game and also use it for my other character.
something like overview setting>misc panel you can export and import overview fileAnnotation 2021-09-28 162434

I like how a lot of the initial issues with the character sheet and skills window are now fixed. Yet still some issues remain, will you continue to improve those?

Character sheet

• top right of character draggable space → fixed now!
  • ‘history’ tab clipped off in smallest window size → to be fixed?

Skills window

• Huge gap removed, better use of space → fixed now!
  • Tooltips with amount of SP trained and to train → fixed now!
  • Click through bug that dragged objects behind window in certain places → fixed now!
  • Training time clipping → slightly better, still clipping, to be fixed?
  • A redundant skill window button with size, art and colour skill window not inline with rest of neocom → to be fixed/removed?

Reference links and pictures for the issues mentioned above:

We still have two skill window buttons on the neocom and the big one looks out of place, see here in an earlier post.

afbeelding
(History tab in character sheet clipped off. Notice the bad outline!)

afbeelding
(Clipping of training time with pause button)

I like the improvements, please keep improving the rest of the issues too. Also, can we please hide the posing character on the character window like we could before?

1 Like

With the latest update the empty gap between the Training Queue and the left side of the panel is finally gone, we also got the training time back which was really missed.

However I am still of the idea that in the new Skills interface the least useful part (skill categories) is using the most part of the UI, it should be half as tall and about 20% less broad to leave more space for the 2 skill lists (available and queued)

Also, a bit less padding between list items wouldn’t hurt

EDIT: and for the love of god add a non-black border, it is very annoying trying to resize the window while on a dark background

4 Likes

Yes ! Finally an update to the bad UI.

Screenshot by Lightshot (prnt.sc)

Oh that went well i guess. Alot of work went into it.

Guess ima wait abit till the skill button apears so i can add some skills :smiley:

There is still one feature that is missing that used to be there. The progress bar for each skill group used to be divided into two parts, that which is trained, and that which is in the skill queue (it used to appear in a lighter colour). Or at least I think I remember that. The mobile app has it.

Also while I am thinking of the mobile app, it will still not let you add more than 50 to the skill queue.

1 Like

Honestly i did not expect CCP to go back and actually attempt to fix their hideous UI.
A verry positive surprise.

So the “giant gap” is now only twice as wide as the spacing between columns in the bottom left frame.
A significant improvememnt already but it’s still quite dominant, especially when on a small screen.

The queue on the right is already much easyer to look at but not quite enough.
This seems to be mostly because horizontal scaling stretches the left side and right side frames equally, resulting in giant gaps and wasted space on the left side long before the right frame is wide enough.

Also just leave the mo:d:h out and show seconds. If theres no seconds then what am i supposed to stare at? Seriously though, this makes me paranoid every time wondering if my skill queue is paused.

And top left frame still in alphabetical “order”
You’re just going to shove this questionable benefit down the english speakers throats and leave the rest of the world with gobbled mess, right?

With that said this version of the new skill sheet is literally 10 times less ■■■■ then the first one.
Thank you for listening.
Thank you for doing something about it.

2 Likes

Very appreciated, thanks

1 Like

What about the suggestion that this was a terrible, terrible idea and that, once more, not listening to the community feedback has bit you in the rear?

4 Likes

I am happy to see CCP fixing some of the problems. Even if it is small steps, it is steps in the right direction.

So Thank you CCP. (I will say thanks, but I will not give any praise, because they are basically fixing their own mess they created.)

The horizontal gaps/spacing in the skill window is better.

But the vertical problem still remain for us with low resolutions. I still only see 2 rows of skills :frowning:

So please CCP listen to your players/customers and keep fixing things. There are still lots of broken or less functional or irritating things… that were better before.

1 Like

This looks far better but it’s not there yet.

Why do you guys always need to be yelled at before you do/fix the obvious?

Finaly

Even when you succeed, you FAIL! OMFG CCP, you STILL cannot see “Time until trained” for skills by hovering over them in the skill queue. It’s is an inconvenient time sink to have to hunt down the skills in the skill catalogue when we SHOULD be able to just point at them in the queue.

And when are you going to fix that massive brain fart of a character sheet that hides the USEFUL info instead of the USELESS portrait?

CCP means to me; Completely Clueless Programmers.

3 Likes