Vitoxin "Cure"?

Re: TCMCs, there are thousands of years of avid development and weird Jovian shenanigans between the tech in that video and what EVE tech considers commonplace. They’re a bit magical, honestly. Modern-day techniques on modern-day tech except in the very broadest strokes won’t be useful. But it’s an informative video, so that’s cool.

This could very well need its very own topic, but EVE cybernetics have always felt a bit weird to me. Their medical technology and well, host of other technology are indeed borderline magical from our technological level… But their supposedly most advanced cybernetic eyes are clunky as hell and irritating to the skin (the monocle implant has scarring and inflammation visible around it), and their most advanced cybernetic arms are disappointingly obviously visible whirligigs?

I mean, obviously, I understand that the clearly visible cybernetic arms could add intimidation factor when dealing with lesser people, and from game design standpoint it’d be hard to sell non-visible agumentations to ones character, but for example the ‘Looking Glass Monocle Interface’ is in its description expressly said to be one of the most advanced cybernetic eyepieces around. Odin Synthetic eyes are also said to be “subtle”. Subtle as a brick, I’d say.

But those aside, really, eve’s non-brain-cybernetics seem oddly primitive, like something we could be building in a few decades or faster, in fact modern cybernetic/bionic arms and hands are damn incredible and close to that of EVE’s already.

You are quite correct about the difference in technology level. However, I’m thinking about how the process of hacking it would be similar not the device specific technique.

For example the chip had to be decapsuled - that is removing the outter plastic shell without triggering security circuits. The same would probably have to be done to the TCMC regardless of how much more exotic the coating or shell is than plastic.

In a second example, the chip in question had an embedded light sensor designed to dump the chips flash memory if someone looked at the decapsuled chip with an optical microscope. As the hacker noted that is an especially clever and devious defensive measure.

A TCMC likely also has sensors embedded, only more sophisticated and likely designed to detect more than light. A hacker would need to ID them and determine how to defeat them just like the hacker in the video.

This has been my feeling lately as well. I am glad that in this instance at least some constructive, player to player discussion has been had. In this specific instance the most charitable interpretation I can give to Vlad’s IC comments is that he is, in some manner, lying. Because the universe of our characters, like any fictional universe, is limited by incompleteness and the mechanics of its medium any RP will necessarily involve some give and take in the grey area at the edges of citable canon and what we can do in the client.

Reasonable people should usually be able to agree on reasonable boundary pushing. What I cannot stand, and I’ve noticed a fair amount lately but it’s always been a problem, is people using these limitations as hard walls to push IC opponents up against and “win” an IGS argument. Demanding a reference to, say, an official statistic or law that we could be sure would exist in the universe but do not occur in the snippets we get from the lore. Or alleging that since something is impossible with the game mechanics then it is impossible in an RP. It is especially frustrating because if you observe the rules of the board (as you should) it is impossible to make a good faith argument against a claim of impossibility in the IGS because it requires you to break character.

I know that a similar discussion on differences in opinion took place on the Backstage forum recently and when there are reasonable disputes between involved people they ideally will take the avenue of speaking player to player before going directly to mucking up RP.

All that said man, Vlad, this is really pushing the envelope and I think it would be a bridge too far to push any angle that actually involves your IC claims to be true. I don’t think a single player will entertain anything besides your character either lying or being very mistaken.

1 Like

Would anyone in this thread be interested in talking about Minmatar Lore and this Vitoxin theory this coming Monday on The Mind Clash Podcast?

Sure! We recently did a Vitoxin related storyline, so I spent a fair bit of time going over the lore on it. I’m less knowledgeable about general Minmatar lore, though I have some knowledge.

1 Like

I’ve never seen the lore on vitoxin, could you post any links?

http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=The_Vitoc_Problem

As I understand, Vitoxin and Vitoc are used fairly interchangeably, though Vitoxin is, well, the toxin, and Vitoc is the antidote (but not a cure).

The Fiction Portal one is more of an overview, the vitoc problem backstage link is rather in-depth.

Thanks, I knew the basics but not the details.

In context of this thread then I have a suggestion. A combination of mutaplasmids and other attempt cures could have cured this individual, but only this individual. Attempts to replicate do nothing, the result being that it was the unknown results of mutaplasmids combined with the recipients dna that triggered an immune response to remove the vitoxin.

This way it isn’t a cure, but a hint that one is possible. The cured patient would then go to the republic funded research teams to try to help further their research.

That might be possible, yeah (well, okay, I don’t know how much sense it really makes, but as much as most of CCP’s science, I’m sure – the Vitoxin lore is one of the few actually pretty detailed and sounds vaguely plausible things I’ve seen, but I tend to like my sci-fi to be very hard most of the time).

Just don’t try using mutaplasmids on the Vitoxin itself, that’s a really bad idea. Sure, half the time it probably will actually cure it. It’s that one in a thousand chance of turning it contagious that will get you. . . .

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.