Want to start learning how to solo PVP, need ship suggestions

Noob to PVP, not EVE. Almost 80m Skillpoints but I understand what you’re saying. Spent some time in wormhole corps before and the Astero was my go to ship for scanning out holes and catching explorers. No fun killing mostly new players so id like to sink some real time into learning how to PVP and understand why I’m fitting it like this, why I’m overheating this, why I’m using this particular ammo etc… Been an F1 monkey plenty of times and that doesn’t teach you anything.

Like yourself and a few others suggested T1 Frigates seem to be the place to start. An excellent PDF was linked up above which should keep me busy for a bit.

3 Likes

Cheers pal, that PDF should keep me busy!

1 Like

Thank you mate, a lot of take in but I’m sure ill understand it more when I’m actually doing it. The breacher is looking like a great starter ship and cheap as well which is always good as I’m bound to lose plenty at first.

Are there any particular hot spots where a beginner should head to in Lowsec?

1 Like

Not to worry, I’ve been around long enough and have seen plenty of his sh*t posts.

Being the CEO of CCP and all, can’t you just do us all a favour and ban him? :+1:

3 Likes

Good luck to you! I started to pvp in a Moa and went straight to Querious. Thank Bob it wasn’t very populated at the time but I had an awesome time and made my pod-ride back to highsec (23 jumps in an escape pod) but I was isk efficient - lol.

Faction warfare space is a good start, i would avoid Tama however abd old man star some days as well. Other then that look for solo players in fw plexs. Are you worried about your sec status?

No, ill just buy some tags when/if I get low enough. Bad idea to pod people right, that’s when you lose the most sec status?

Correct. Maybe ill run into you on my FW alt if your in gal/cal space

I always liked the Heron - Looks like an easy kill, generous power grid/cpu + lots of mid slots.

It’s really cheap so you can keep trying different variations from triple ancillary boosts, dual webs, dual props - experiment and see what works against different opponents.

1 Like

Ignoring the incredible levels of sperg here…

Hi, I’m Verdis, and I love solo pvp. If you want to learn, I would honestly recommend joining a FW alliance. They will have the support to let you ask questions, and get quick answers. Obviously, I reccomend Ushra’khan, but anyone decently large and organized can help.

That said, Lowsec and Nullsec are very different beasts. Bubbles change a lot, and the kiting fits are more common there, while Lowsec doesn’t have that restriction, and fast brawlers can be more useful for solo there.

Whichever you pick, try to keep your options open, and as large a set of ships possible to engage. A Incursus with an afterburner and blasters may be lethal at close range, but all someone has to do is stay out of range, and you’re simply a target.

I prefer having utility options such as:
Webs
Dual prop (mwd + ab)
Flexible range weapons (missiles and drones)
Neuts

I’ll link a couple of my fits for starters. All are cheap, and most are alpha capable. Fly dangerously o7

Algos (Factional Warfare small plexes)
https://zkillboard.com/kill/79266783/
Dragoon (Factional Warfare small plexes)
https://zkillboard.com/kill/79848370/

Vigil Fleet Issue (FW mostly)

Tristan (kitey, usable anywhere, and cheap AF. T2 mods as needed)

Stabber (cheap for a cruiser, most fun you can have with your clothes on)

Also, take a look at Blight’s Wretch on youtube, he has a lot of good cheap and solo content. Plus, he’s a great guy…for a pirate.

2 Likes

Cheers mate! Lots of good looking fits for me to try out. Was just looking at the stabber as I love the look of it, that’s at the top of my list right now.

I have thought about joining a corp but I always ended up leaving. I can’t tell you why, I just do and because of it my corp history is an absolute mess. I don’t want to waste someones time when it can be better spent on someone who will actually still around. Maybe once I’ve got the hang of PVP ill try again but for now, solo it is

o7

edit: In game message as I’m writing this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, my Corp history is nearly as big of a mess. I enjoy U’K a lot though, as it’s a lively place, has loads going on, and the people are a lot of fun. Plus, you’re never short of content in a FW warzone. My schedule keeps me from a lot of fleet pvp, hence the solo habits, but when you have the time, its there when you want it.

Also less scanning, thank Bob. I was always the first one online in my old wormhole Corp, and pretty much became a human cartography lab.

1 Like

The think about most FW Corps (not all of course), is they don’t mind solo people. You get the community and knowledge of people in Corp chat…but if you want to remain solo…you can.

2 Likes

Your best bet would be Faction Warfare space, which you can pull up on your Agency.

Be aware that the vast majority of FW space is really just populated by bots that run the plexes constantly day in and day out. Don’t bother trying to catch these because they’ll just warp to a deepsafe if you appear anywhere on dscan range of them.

You might get lucky and run across a couple of people also looking for fights, but it’s a bit hit or miss.

You can also try your luck at the popular “cool kids table” in Amamake and Tama, but know that you won’t be given any leeway for being new. Most of the regulars there have been PvPing for many years and are thirsty for kills.

1 Like

Cheap ships and fits, as you will loose it.

Just fit it the best you can to do the role you want it to do. In fleet its different as you might be asked to fly a specific role ship fit.

2 Likes

Scoots mentioned the breacher, and I agree it’s a fine choice. You can do the same fit on a Tristan as well. Rely more on drones for damage you can even fit neuts instead of guns. I would recommend one of those two.

It’s not like you have to spend time in the game anymore,

Ask a null sec alliance to let you join them, throw a few billion PLEX at a toon & fly a Dreadnought in a day

Or… you could not do dumb ■■■■ and learn to not suck by playing with smaller cheaper toys.

1 Like

If you have rl money to throw at the game Dreadnoughts are cheap toys

And if you have a several trillion isk, AT ships can be cheap toys too. But that doesn’t help OP, nor anyone else in the thread.

3 Likes