War Journal: Triglavian Collective

In fact, it is. Small, gradual changes exert evolutionary pressure that results in beneficial changes propagating through populations, while less effective older traits don’t propagate as well. Sudden, drastic changes… cause mass extinctions. Life may bounce back after, but that’s not the same, and tends to be indicated by large radiations from previously less-represented lines.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing. I pop my head in after a long leave of absence to talk about a subject wholly unrelated to you (and as much as I can imagine you struggle with that concept, I can confidently assure you such things do exist), and like magic, here you are, instantly trying to reignite fights with me that you already lost four years ago.

When I deign to come back to the IGS, nobody ever seems to have any trouble remembering who I am or what my name is. I, on the other hand, had completely forgotten that you existed, and quite frankly I was blissfully content to stay that way. Clearly, no matter how small my accomplishments might be in the long run, I have a name worth remembering.

I’d tell you to get a life, but the last time someone suggested that to you, Synthetic Cultist… occurred, so I’ll happily refrain from providing that particular piece of advice, or from telling you to go and screw yourself, as I’m sure that one of your surrogates has that covered as well.

You sound mad. And wrong on several points.

Well, not indifferent to it, sometimes i move away from it, sometimes i seek it willingly, sometimes i inflict it upon others, just you know, i accept that it exists and is part of the meat experience.

I care about stuff, if you make a hole in me i bleed, i have personal preferences… I just do not apply intrinsic value to things.

It is really not that complicated.

The end of life as we know it is not the end of life. His statement could be interpreted as an inference to extinction of life. I refuted that, there will probably be stuff that was on that path or got helped by the nudge.

You explained well the process of gradual change and reiterated that yes, will probably not be the same.

I see no disagreement between what you explained and what i said, unless there is an implicit dislike for drastic change that i am not following.

Except… no. See, life may bounce back… or may not. Entire biospheres can go extinct. All of it. No survivors. No more ‘natural selection’, cuz nature’s selected ‘none’.

See, the kind of drastic change rendering evolution unable to adapt? That is how natural selection works. So yeah, there’s inherent disagreement between that, and your claim that it’s not.

2 Likes

If life may bounce back (again, we are in agreement), the affirmation that it will be unable to do it may not be very substantiated with the current reports.

Yes they can, hardly will. (At least from what we have in data so far and within the current parameters of changes made to the stars)

Current organisms to keep reproducing (be selected), but i understand what you meant to say because you said earlier. However, that was a response to the following affirmation:

That was based on

Just so we can keep going with what we know instead of what could be:

• No reports of mass exctinctions
  • No reports of harsh environmental conditions for the human population
  • No reports os significant changes to the current genetic samples and organisms (fauna or flora)

So far, no reported disaster happened to the life forms. It has not been reported such a drastic event that the biological feedback could not handle cohesion (example: some big energy dispersal like a meteor or a bomb)

So far, no reported big changes

Is it because no changes happened? Changes happened but no one to report it? Those who could report do not know what to look for? Not relevant enough to the powers to be reported?

I do not know.

What can not be affirmed is that it will absolutely devastate the ecosystem (current is anothe matter) to the point of being unable to allow life to find a way. (The likeness of this happening is another matter).

And that is what i was talking about.

While i do enjoy discussing ideas and do take the time to get a better understanding of what people were meaning to say (the distance between intention and outcome may vary), i have a feeling the conversation is becoming rethoric for rethorics sake instead of actual understanding (different from agreement, would never expect that).

If you have any questions about some point that i may have not made clear enough, feel free to ask. If you have any new information about the current situation of the organisms on the changed systems, feel free to share the update. If you have more experts to invite to the discussion, please do so.

Yes, no reporting at all from Raravoss, which is where we’d expect to be hearing about it first. So the complete absence of any information can’t be taken as evidence of nothing bad happening.

Nor does that, in any way, impact ‘that’s not how natural selection works’. Because it is.

Everything else is just you engaging in more of your intellectual dishonesty to try to evade that simple point.

I find it interesting when you say what i said without saying that i said it and at the next line say what you interpreted from what i said without mentioning what i actually said, and the edited cherry at the top when at the end you want to put an end to the possibility of continuation by having the last word and affirmations.

I like you :wink:

Oh, no, feel free to continue. I was just making my opinion clear.

But, if it makes you feel better…

So, yeah, that is what you said, and I did say that you said it, so have fun with the lies.

I have taken some time before replying to your post, to avoid a purely emotional response. Now I will clarify. When I say that the Amarrian faith was not enough for many, I do not refer to those who have died. If their faith gave them peace in death, so be it. I refer instead to those living, or having lived, under the Faith and committed varying degrees of atrocities despite moral guidelines and commands. I also refer to some who grew up in the Faith but have seen these atrocities, or been faced with other trials, only to be forsaken by both your God and His supposed People despite following the ethical and moral rules.

Your arguments are well thought out, but in the end they are purely semantic. What comfort would knowing these things be to one who has been forced from their home, returning years or even months later to see not only the structures but also the plants, the animals, the very sky have all become some strange and twisted abomination of the land they loved?

Oh, probably none. But it was not meant to be reassuring.

Things change, most people are not happy by it, lots of suffering involved in the process.

Just saying it is not “the” end. That might be reassuring and bring some comfort.

There are a lot of people that deal with this right now, some of them fought and some are still fighting to make their ancestral homes “theirs” again.

Caldari Prime ist not the same after all that happened (specially after titan pieces crashed), that does not mean people do not want it as it is now. Several other planets are being fought over even if they are changed by all the warfare going on.

The end of a world is not the end of the world. The Caldari moved, some cicles end and new ones begins.

Not that change comes easy or lightly.

As i have confidence in your reading and reasoning capacities, and as i explained in the post prior to yours what i was refering to by this sentence, i will just invite you to re-read that since there are no reports of significant/catastrophic changes, the affirmation that there are no possible paths of mutation at the planets affected by the current changes is not how natural selection works.

That doesn’t make it right, and in the context of this thread it sounds like you, and others, are making excuses for the Collective’s actions, or attempting to rationalize away the very real effects by adopting some lofty “more enlightened” long term view.

Personally, i do not work with the concepts of “right” and “wrong”, some say “Might is right”, there are a lot of opinions around these words, it is confusing sometimes for me.

For me at least, started as a “i wanna see what happens”, and so far i did not see thaaaaaaaaaaat many changes. (It is quite a view what happened to the stars and i am very fond of purple, but ground troops invading is nothing new, Factional Warfare has been doing this back and forth game for some time).

I would prefer if things happened in a more… controled way (Leasing of low/unhabited territory, diplomatic agreements, technology transfer) but fear of the unknown tends to prevail and trigger a lot of evolutionary biological mechanisms and violent responses, perpetuating a destructive cycle.

I remain observing, but some things are harder to watch than others (what is happening to the Caldari for me is… vexing)

I see no reason to make excuses for others, nor see what that would change on their capacity to do what they inted to do.

That i agree with (mostly).

If you think about 10-15 billion years in the future, most if not all of the current stars will probably be in another form that does not resemble the current one. The issues, conflicts, aspirations and dreams from today will be either forgotten or will not exist if there are not people to create these things.

The future is an illusion

The present? Well, there are people living, and with their lives they interact with reality as they see fit and a lot of stuff is going on. There are people shooting triglavians, shooting endecom, shooting everyone, shooting nobody and lots and lots of other things.

It is what it is, a result of what the interactions arranged so far.

Sometimes i like to watch. Sometimes i like to get to know others perspectives. Sometimes i like to get at the IGS and talk to people, argue, exchange words, lurk, talk a lot, talk very little.

You do what you like. (Or don’t)

For now, i will savour further updates of the esteemed chronicler.

I am simultaneously sad for and envious of you. Conscience is both a compass and a burden.

“Hi! I’m Jark, and I’m spending the day not having my plasmic guts ripped out with some kind of weird entropic disintegrator/harvesting array! I might personally be indifferent about this because actually I’m just a giant ball of ongoing thermonuclear reaction, but apparently at least some of the apes in my gravity well are happy about it.”

Yes, it is my happy duty to report that the Triglavian invasion at Jark did not end with a probably-irrevocable calamity! Sure, it’s in Amarr space and the navy here’s represented itself really well, but it’s along a major trade route and frankly losing it would have been kind of a disaster? So naturally the kybernauts apparently wanted it bad.

They don’t get it. That’s something worth celebrating.

We might have started just a little early though? Like, with hostiles still on grid…

Well, no harm done I guess. Okay, a lot of harm done but not to us.

GODS I needed that feeling! (haven’t been sleeping so well if i’m honest)

Anyway … a couple of things …

So, I got that shot of a Triglavian werpost at Raravoss, before. Here’s EDENCOM’s answer, the “gunstar.”

I guess EDENCOM thought artillery worked pretty well for this stuff, too.

Here’s what EDENCOM spent the last 12 hours or so getting constructed while we were battling our new would-be overlords:

The stellar observatory unit. Apparently it’s kind of a sentry against further attemped manipulation of the star, as well as a coordination center for systemwide response if the Collective tries again.

Hm. It’s big enough to be a little hard to get a good picture of.

… I don’t like any of these. Oh well; hopefully I’ll get another few chances.

Anyway! Lots more work to do, but I think right now I’m going to go find a little food or something. It’s been a long couple of days.

10 Likes

I am pleased to have contributed to the defence of Jark.

1 Like

During the last week or so I’ve been working a little bit with ARC, going into (lightly) Triglavian-occupied space and giving them a poke to see how things go.

Typically, “violently.”

Triglavian wereposts (“Steve” or “Jeff,” I think, to their friends? Capsuleer humor is weird) are a pretty common feature; they’re basically super-fast-locking, fast-tracking turret arrays. They have a little in common with gate defense turrets, including impressive range, only they shoot on sight and they don’t hesitate to fire on pods. Also, they each seem to like picking two targets and dividing their attention between them, though sometimes they’ll pick the same person twice.

In places where the Triglavians have scored a “minor victory” and are busy looting the place (or something), they seem to get deployed in pairs.

This is bad: not only do they cover one another; they also each, independently, have their own rapid-response defense fleet. If both werposts are attacked (like, at all-- like, a single navy frigate spends a few seconds shooting the wrong werpost), both fleets respond. Hairiness ensues.

They’re totally survivable, but you probably want a pretty heavy fleet with logistics support; nothing the disintegrators will chew through too fast.

They go up pretty spectacularly, too. I’m not sure why, maybe something about the relatively open reactor structure?

Pretty dramatic, though I guess I did have the drone in close. Maybe not “evaporating singularity” dramatic, though? … hm.

4 Likes

Steve will remember that

I like your humor despite the bleak subject matter.

1 Like

This conflict … I’ve started to take it a little personally.

I used to really love filament diving, you know? Plunging into Triglavian space to see what games they wanted to play. I wouldn’t say I approved, exactly, but there was a little … admiration … there. Even after they began to appear in K-space, challenging us at home, it still felt different from a normal war: more like a game than a simple, brutal taking of resources by force.

What changed? Maybe partly it’s the intensity, the speed of the thing: fortress or final liminality in a matter of maybe 24 hours.

Maybe it’s that this has started to feel so much less like a contest and so much more like a robbery.

Of course they need resources like anyone else. But until now it didn’t seem, I guess, like they’d feel like they could take the prize until they actually won?

Instead of, you know …

… harvesting our stars before they’ve even finished moving in.

Maybe partly it’s that the Triglavians have started keeping personal score pilot by pilot, and telling us about it. They’re not happy with me. They’re probably even less happy with Cpt. Elkin. That strange playfulness, the lightness with which they seemed to take victory or loss, is gone. I guess we’re probably “poshlost,” now.

Well, the feeling’s mutual.

So.

Will he really? I hope so.

I hope he remembers every.

Single.

Time.

And I hope it hurts.

I really do.

4 Likes