Was my Procurer tanky enough?

I doubt that they were CODE. No “gf” in local, no offers to sell me a permit, no chat whatsoever. People know I have ties to the Gallente Federation- the empire has many enemies.

Yeah, I get that. It wasn’t a criticism. It was more a comment, that from here on in … why hang around when you can now seem them coming?

Well, that just sucks.

Doesn’t work that way. I build and sell procurers for 20 M, give or take. And that’s the cost that appears on zkillboard. No-one who cares about killboard cares about how much isk was actually won or lost, net of your insurance payout or who actually managed to loot the wreck(s). As long as the CCP prices for 1 x procurer are much greater than 9 x catalysts (not that BoB Down and his cronies actually registered their own demise) then that is all they care about.

You will have to explain that, though not necessarily on this forum(!). Do you mean because travel time is so long you have less time to mine, so endurance is limiting by being a lower yield miner? Or, do you mean because you also use endurance to haul? If latter, train up a miasmos/ appropriate Magic 14 to max. At 67,000 m3 capacity of compressed ice, and being able to do cloaky-warp with three warp core stabs fitted you can just about sail through low sec. Barring a multiple BS smart-bombing gate camp (not common). That might well help?

This might be a good idea, even with you having a T2 fit (which would increase your EHP and hence require more DPS to gank you), but you’d need a way to loot the wrecks to take full advantage of that. Also, remember to overload your hardeners if you’re at the keyboard when you’re going to be ganked.

If having an alt or a friend for looting is not an option, an MTU might work, but you’d need to be able to reship and get back to the MTU before it gets shot by someone else after you’ve been ganked, which may not be feasible.

A key issue here is whether he’s using T1 or T2 fits, which is the main reason you may want your EHP to be as high as possible. He’s not going to be willing to spend 8+ T2 fitted Catalysts to gank that Procurer over and over, but if he may gank you with dirty cheap T1 fits, then this strategy isn’t going to work.

Anyway, if ganking you doesn’t make you leave, you may end up being bumped instead, which you may be able to deal with by orbiting the rock you’re mining (also good for reducing incoming damage if ganked) and manual piloting if necessary.

I would not leave that content so easy.

1. Even with scanner your fit is ok. Ganker ships usually cost around 9-10 milions, and he lost 8 of them. Even with drops and insurance he is in a deep minus. Which hurts ganger’s self esteem.
  2. Get combat drones in space and ready. Target catalysts as soon as they start firing. Asign one drone per one catalyst - you will get a nice killboard for free.
  3. Build / buy yourself 5+ procurers, ensure them and repeat point 2 - you will get some fun before the ganker rage quit.

[Procurer, cheap 100 kEHP tank vs void ]

Ice Harvester Upgrade I
Damage Control II

Upgraded Thermal Dissipation Amplifier I
Limited Thermal Dissipation Field I
Limited Kinetic Deflection Field I
Limited Adaptive Invulnerability Field I

Ice Harvester I
Ice Harvester I

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Hobgoblin I x5

Mobile Depot x1
ML-3 Scoped Survey Scanner x1

For 22 milions you get a capable anti-gank mining vessel. Even less if you build Procurer yourself and drop mobile depot. Ganker will have to use about 10+ ganking catalysts to kill you in 0.6 security level system. Which is about 100 milion per gank. And I even do not know, if that sore looser can multitask that many…

After gangers will stop regular attackes, you can start using this:
[Procurer, 103kEHP, better yield]

Ice Harvester Upgrade II
Damage Control II

Thermal Dissipation Amplifier II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
Kinetic Deflection Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Ice Harvester II
Ice Harvester II

Medium Ice Harvester Accelerator I

Hobgoblin I x5

Mobile Depot x1
ML-3 Scoped Survey Scanner x1

Did you play afk?

“Buying a dozen computers so you can destroy one ship by yourself” …
… is absolutely not, in any way or form, pay2win.

Do you understand what “pay2win” means? It doesn’t look like it.
Words have definitions. Definitions are important.
They’re also important to be known.
They’re not a matter of perspective.

It looks like based on what you provide here, that …

An amateur runner buying shoes that help him run faster: pay2win
A fisher buying a better rod: pay2win
An FPS player buying a 240Hz monitor: pay2win

Dude, there’s a good reason why words have definitions and even though you might believe everything is just a matter of opinion … in fact it isn’t.

“Pay2Win” is when there’s stuff in a game you buy to help you being better than others. It’s a mechanic implemented for more wealthy people with short dicks, so they can beat less wealthy people with probably equally short dicks.

What Bob does, does not in any way or form classify as pay2win. There would be zero difference in-game wise if he had actual friends helping him taking that ship down. For CCP, it’s irrelevant, as every capsuleer is regarded a seperate entity. He’s not buying himself an advantage over others.

He might not have the friends necessary to do this, but it’s within everyone’s realm of possibilities to find enough friends to do the same thing. There is no “money-wall” here preventing anyone from achieving the same. Bob simply cut out the social aspect of what he’s doing.

And, btw … it does not take several computers to run eight clients
and in modern times it’s pretty affordable.

1 Like

I was not AFK.

That being said, if I wanted to be very risk averse, I could have followed the suggestions here: pay attention to local/d scan, warp out immediately once they were on grid- And I could have kept my ship. I have to say this because people might read my post and claim “see Eve is too hard, even the Procurers get attacked”.

So I totally took my chances. I’ll definitely be more careful next time- but I was more surprised that someone actually chose to gank my procurer. It had me questioning whether my tank was sufficient? Was I a profitable kill? Did I have too much bling?

2 Likes

That’s not risk averse.
You’re doing it right.

1 Like

Cowabunga it is.

Get passive-aggressive. Buy plex for real money, sell it, buy the exact same procurer with the same fit

Don’t make the improvements suggested…in fact, maybe maybe make it weaker and fit it for max yield…tempting the ice business-multiboxer(s) to reveal themselves faster.

Train up a bumping ship if you can’t fly one well already.

Start going to that ice belt immediately after it spawns and start taking note of who is always there together right after a new ice spawn and who is often there when you get ganked.

Once you have figured out who was likely responsible for trying to drive you off “their” turf, bump the crap out of them. Keep bumping them when they try to drive you off by ganking your bumper. Make them regret being so greedy and making a business (possibly rmt) out of ice.

If you’re ever really bored- you should check it out sometime. It’s a pretty well planned operation. It’s a giant ball of skiffs surrounding a boosting orca. Every day/time that I’ve checked- they are there. A freighter regularly comes by to pick up the ice and haul it. They will mine all but one astroid before moving onto the other belt (two belts in the system). This is so they can time exactly when the ice will respawn. They don’t want to spawn before they are ready to harvest it. They will mine the last lone asteroid when they are ready to start the 4 hour respawn timer. It’s pretty intense.

1 Like

Gowa ol’ bean, do feel free to take your condescending arrogance with you as you take a running jump.

One doesn’t need to pay real money to counter the situation above, it just might make things faster.

I’m sure your economic brilliance is beyond the folks making the decisions and is special in unique ways nobody else has ever thought of.

It is highly ironic that you of all people would be lecturing anybody about “forum efficiency” lol

You have become exactly what you whinged about before. gj

1 Like

Hmmm, I would say it’s undertanked. I actually prefer a Skiff for ice but have used Procs for a long time. Ice mining makes u particularly vulnerable cos ur easy to find and predictable. Ur best defence is local knowledge, using local and standings but I messed with ur fit a little (could be improved but not on my main atm, but it’ll do the job) …

[Procurer, *Procurer]
Damage Control II
Ice Harvester Upgrade II

Medium Shield Extender II
EM Ward Field II

Ice Harvester II
Ice Harvester II

1 Like

Psssst, hey, yeah over here…

Don’t feed the trolls!

:smiley:

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

2 Likes

Why ?

Because I can’t mine ice and be isk positive in that location.

If I can round up a few allies- I wouldn’t mind stirring up some trouble though :smirk:

1 Like

Sure you can.
Don’t play afk.
Warp out when you have to.

Your only serious mistake was that you didn’t warp out.

Nothing else.

Are you so easily intimidated that you can’t trust yourself you’ll be warping out in time?

That’s the spirit!
Don’t run away!

Reasonable fit, but you we’re multi box ganked, and in a 0.6 system which means slow response to save you.

Could I warp out in time? Yes, pretty sure I could- but the moment you get into the belt, the gankers get on you pretty quick- so ice mining time will not be long at all.

Now, I’m sure you’re pretty busy- but if you ever get REALLY bored, I highly encourage you to try ice mining there. Assess the situation, and see how the gankers respond. Once you see it for yourself, please send me an Eve Mail with your thoughts on how to best counter. Not sure of your isk situation, but if you need equipment upon arriving to solitude - I’ll happily give you a fitted ice mining barge.

Actually it is Kinetic / Thermal. Coercers are Thermal / EM.

1 Like

OP, i have to highlight that you seem to have the good way of considering eve: not whining, trying to improve, discuss about fits and strategy etc
you could try to move to null sec: there you will find friends, intel, etc. Of course your mining ship can also be ganked in null sec but it will require more efforts/risk/isks from the gankers, and you and your friends can catch them…

1 Like