We need another Hulkageddon

when you start with a false equivalent, it’s really hard responding to your post. CONCORD has nothing to do with the suspect state deterrent, so i don’t see how that adds anything to what i said.

so let’s put this straight.

the sec button is a deterrent, meant to give new players the feeling that certain activities are “unlawful”, which automatically makes them reconsider these activities. “i have to deliberately change my state to do certain things and i am being warned about them, so i better not risk anything.”

the sec button reduces the amount of options for the new player, because it’s a psychological deterrent. it gives the feeling that certain things shouldn’t be done. it reduces the amount of social interactions. this works together with the second psychological deterrent: the suspect state. i’m repeating myself in hopes it helps getting the point across. ofc i cant make you consider this more in depth. who does that nowadays anyway, right?

where before new players could experiment in shenanigans, they now suffer from the consequence of being flaghed for 15min as kill-on-sight. a MASSIVE psychological deterrent. for a decade people could just run away, but nowadays the only option is to stay at a safespot or docked. again this means less options, which is bad.

fact: more options are always better than less options.
fact: deterrents are always used to deterr someone from certain activities.

the secbutton/suspect convo was a brilliant “political” move to influence the future new players by giving them the feeling that they have to behave lawfully, backwards to how the game actually works. someone has to specifically dare, which reduces the amount of new players simply “going for it” and is in complete opposite to hilmar’s story about how they were amazed that players came up with can flipping in the first place. quote: “we thought that was brilliant.”

you can see things from any perspective you want, but that doesnt change the underlying facts:

.) a deterrent is a deterrent
.) protecting people from their own mistakes breeds carelessness and stabs a culture that worked for a decade.
.) more options are always better than less options.

And to put the last nail into your rather misaligned post: suspect state equals 15min of kill-on-sight and, for a new player, is equivalent to getting concorded and being forced to wait out the timer. i deliberately ignore killrights, btw, which would also belong here, but i’m typing on a phone… meh.

the big point is that ccp nerfed social interactivity massively, sadly for good reasons, but not for the reasons you stated or most people have in mind.

2 Likes