Welcome to Photon UI - SiSi

Please make neocom dockable on any side, left, right, top and bottom as options. Like desktop environments, which is what Eve really is emulating.

Also, a customisable button bar to remove the need of using right click everywhere. Basically like having two neocoms except one focusing on actual actions.

A customisable HUD overlay would be nice so we could pick our own attribute values to display on the floating space (not the grid overlay), like the where the other “opportunities, autopilot route, mission” drop downs are on the top left.

More shortcut optons too would be good (stack all comes to mind).

You’re right, some headers indeed do have useful information. Keep those, hide the rest.

I disagree.

Many ‘menus’ are not temporary items, but are on screen a lot of time for many players. Dscan window, probe window, fleet window are examples of such menus.

Other menus also should not be larger than necessary. It is not uncommon to open up menus like the agency, skill windows, the hack window, the map, character sheet or other temporary menus in the middle of the screen while leaving the sides of the screen open to see incoming threats on the overview, dscan and local chat.

Bigger menus are a problem, regardless of whether they are used temporarily or not.

It is important that new UI elements are at most equal in size as, but preferably smaller than the existing elements.

2 Likes

Will “Repackage”, “Trash It…” and “Reprocess”* still be close together amongst the 24 right click menu options for an item?

– UX designed by a committee of evil clowns

4 Likes

and Mac runs photo editors?

interesting… I wonder if I can break the UI by naming my ship a super long name.

You probably cannot. The default ship names are longer than the allowed custom ship name length.

Where is this new UI everyone is talking about? I don’t see any way to access it on either Tranquility or Singularity. Honestly, at this point I’d be happy if I could just get the old colored icons back, the ability to view contact notes in People and Places and and a tooltip on/off setting by window type. Having a shaded background for the HUD so you can actually tell button states when the background is bright would also be a godsend.

You’re confusing windows and menus. (Context) menus open when you right click on something.

D-Scan, Probe Window, etc. are windows.

1 Like

My experience with the test server lead me to bring to your attention the following points:

1. The test server starts in full screen mode, making mouse tracking guess work.
  2. The inclusion of light strips to highlight which is the active window is a large improvement
  3. The agency window - still have to know that there are further topics to the right of display, but at least it is now hinted at by the trig space section only being partially visible.
  4. Mail Window - Inclusion of light strip under current tab is an improvement, leading to less confusion. However, the next and previous buttons on the right overlap.
  5. Personal Assets window - Never mind
  6. Wallet - the default window size is too small for the corporation wallet display to not lead to confusion. When clicking on the Deposit ISK or Withdraw ISK, the “OK” and “Cancel” tabs are covering the input sections. These ISK tabs cannot be resized either.
  7. Mining Ledger - Filters selection window - This covers both the graph and log entries which I would prefer to be relocated.
  8. Planetary Industry - When installing extraction program and changing the program duration using the plus and minus buttons the time just underneath these does not change, however, the graph does.
  9. Activity tracker does not update after mining.
  10. Calendar - the “previous” and “Next” tabs are overlapping .

My opinion of the changes so far is a good development for players who may need some assistance in keeping track of which window is currently active.

"In one sentece: Wasting space with style.

Photon UI has potential to be good, maybe great even. But only if they can stop offending users with so carelessly wasted space on every opportunity. You got it right with local chat – don’t ruin that with messing up d-scan and the rest, please!

I can only hope CCP makes changes that address these points before it’s pushed to Tranquility. But with how long it took them to make the skills sheet somewhat reasonable after that went live, I don’t dare to believe. That’s partly due to the lack of communication from CCP. They asked for feedback, got a ton of it, and nothing was heard ever again."

Someone already said what needs said.

1 Like

Watch the video in post.

This looks like a good opportunity to unify a bunch of inconsistencies also found on input commands.
Take the following as examples:

• If I want to warp to a place in my overview I have 4 ways:

1. Right click → warp to
    2. Radial menu → warp to
    3. Button “S” + click
    4. Select (with click or arrows if the interface is focused) + button “S”

If I want to warp to a place in my bookmark list (“L” button) I can use the right click or the radial menu options, but not the “S” click, same for warping to a player in my watch list

• I can “S” + click a broadcast but do not have a radial menu on it

• I can ctrl+click one of my deployed drones in the “Drones” window to lock it, but I cannot alt+click it to “Look at”. However I can use the radial menu or right click menu to do it

And so on, there are many examples of interface elements that provide similar functionalities but only allow one or the other input method, those should all be unified to accept each and every variant.

While we are at it I’d also like to point out to a strange behavior regarding the overview after having taken a jump gate. The entity on top of the list appears to be already selected, let’s say that I want to warp to it, if I click on the “Warp to” button on the “Selected Item” interface everything works as expected. However if I press “S”, the hotkey for the same command, it doesn’t work.
To make it work what you have to do is focus the overview (there’s a keybind for it), press the “down arrow” once (the selector doesn’t move, but it actually selects the item now) and then you can finally press “S”

1 Like

I did. There’s no “feature previews” tab in Settings window.

Is there some kind of opt-in setting that enables it? This is all I have.

How is this different that using the beta selection of the launcher?

Go to test server(Singularity), Esc button, Feature preview tab, enable. Close client and then restart client. Change server in bottom right corner to Singularity and open account.

I do not know if there is a difference than using the beta selection, I have never used or seen that option.

I think the beta on the launcher is specifically for the beta of the launcher itself. Think of the launcher as a distinct app.

The preview in the game, is for the game beta features.

I can’t find any beta option in the new launcher. I remember it being in the old (BETTER) one, though.