What are you reading?

I’ve recently bought Fallen Dragon and Pandora Star, from Peter Hamilton after some recommendations of fellow EVE friends. I have yet to receive them however…

It’s been a while since I’ve been the proud owner of the EVE : Source book, and it’s great because of all the lore I learned on the empires, and particularly pirate cartels like the Sansha’s Nation. However, do you guys have more EVE lore related books I could buy, please ?

Also, I’m looking for new and good read in the fantasy and science fiction genre, and if you have stuff related to the Steampunk style, that’d be great !

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze by Peter Hessler. The author was a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer teaching at a university in a kind of backwater city in China in the 1990s. Just before China became an industrialist/strangely Communist-capitalist society. Pretty good book. A very good one if you’re interested in understanding the background where people from China in 2019 are coming from.

1 Like

There are three EVE lore novels, and I liked all of them. I’ve read the first one twice, and might read the others again too.

EVE: The Empyrean Age by Tony Gonzales - Set in the “modern” times of New Eden around 2010 or so. A giant space opera about powerful people and regular spacefaring or baseliner people involved in conflicts among the four races. It established a lot of lore, and threads from that are still developing. Maybe best of all is it visualizes for you what life in New Eden and in a New Eden spacecraft or planet is like.

EVE: The Burning Life by Hjalti Danielsson (the former CCP Abraxas I believe, who wrote much of the early lore and many of the old Chronicles short stories). An innocent Sabik Sani (Blood Raiders) child and two lesbian drug addicts journey through the pirates factions, Sisters of Eve, and ruthless corporate New Eden. Much different from the previous book. If I can, I’d say this one is kind of imaginative literature. Very good, and at the very least, you’ll learn a lot about Guristas, Sisters of Eve, etc.

EVE: Templar One Back to author Tony Gonzales. A hard one, only because it explains the many threads the writer devs introduced later, only through in-game gameplay… And introduced new lore development themes at the same time. Which are still going on with the Triglavian and Sleepers invasion, as we speak.

Have pity on the CCP devs, of all sorts. Some are developing and marketing a commercial game, to keep going. Some are writers keeping the cryptic backstory lore going, and getting players involved in projecting the story, even if they gripe about it and don’t know the backstory. How fooking cool is that? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If not for poor choices and too much “balancing” any of those books, which plots were all abandoned(?) eve could have flourished.
I enjoyed those books but they were 2 dimensional from a writer’s pov. I got through them all in a few hrs I think.

Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy will keep me going for a while, although I skipped ahead to Talon of Horus and I’m like, wtf? The slow advancing of any progression in 40k is also agonizing.

The astarte marines and genetic perfection seems neat. Immortal except to massive injury.

Empyrean Age looks interesting ! Btw, when you say this :

Do they go through the Sansha’s Nation, please ? Thanks !

Oh yeah. They do. :scream:

Yeah, when I think about Tony’s books, my impression is that they’re kind of 2 dimensional. But when I reread them, I had to respect the amount of ideas in them. Especially Templar One. Hjalti’s book is a little 2 dimensional too, but it’s got that extra depth of the grimness + nihilism. What sort of writing do you do?

Now that’s all in the realm of the “star wars expanded universe”. You know, the 20+ or so years of fiction after Return of the Jedi that was trashed for Kylo Ren?

1 Like

Word 2013
in depth

que
ISBN-13: 978-0-7897-5089-1
ISBN-10: 0-7897-5089-9

The Singular Menace
Book 3
Rampage
John Sanford
& Michele Cook
ISBN 978-0-385-75315-9
This is a work of fiction.
Test copyright © 2016
by John Sandford and Michele Cook

2 Likes

Removed an off topic post.

I picked up a very well thumbed copy of Robert Heinlein’s ‘Stranger in a Strange Land’ at the hospital book donation rack earlier and I can’t wait to start it. It was one of the first scifi novels I read as a spotty youth and I remember not being able to put it down.

5 Likes

Slaughterhouse Five is an excellent one. Also Vonnegut’s novels with the character Kilgore Trout.

The Cave by José Saramago (translated from Portuguese) Really excellent so far.
“Readers unfamiliar with the work of this Portuguese Nobel Prize winner would do well to begin with The Cave , a novel of ideas, shaded with suspense. Spare and pensive, The Cave follows the fortunes of an aging potter, Cipriano Algor, beginning with his weekly delivery of plates to the Center, a high-walled, windowless shopping complex, residential community, and nerve center that dominates the region…” - Goodreads

I’d add that it has some darkly humorous zingers slipped in that unexpected pop up and disappear just as quickly as the story just keeps moving on.

2 Likes

I’m currently reading Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris.

TED’s summer list:

1 Like

“Heroes turn traitor, warriors age and grow soft - but a victim is changeless, sacrifice is eternal.” - Leckie.

Helmet For My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific (1957), by Robert Leckie.

1 Like

Having finished Stranger in a Strange Land, I happened upon someone practically giving away a box of 60s and 70s sci fi novels on Facebook.

Currently re-reading Samuel Delany’s ‘Nova’ with ‘Babel-17’ also patiently waiting for me.

1 Like

NOIR FATALE
THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE
FICTION AND FANTASY

Edited by
LARRY CORREIA &
KACEY EZELL

Copyright (C) 2019 by Larry Correia and Kacey Ezell

To all the femmes fatales who are about the noir life.
And to all the men who love them.

SCIENCE FICTION
ISBN 978-1-4818-8397-1 _ $25.00 US/$34.00 Can.

Michael Wolff
SIEGE
Trump Under Fire

Copyright (C) 2019 by Michael Wolff

To the memory of My Father
Lewis A. Wolff

US $30.00 / CAN $38.50
Political Science
ISBN 978-1-250-25362-8

KINGPIN

PRISONER OF THE WAR ON DRUGS
RICHARD STRATTON
AUTHOR OF SMUGGLER’S BLUES

Copyright (C) 2017 by Richard Stratton

As you are going with your adversary to the magistrate,
try hard to be reconciled on the way,
or your adversary may drag you off to the judge,
and turn you over to the officer,
and the officer throw you into prison.
I tell you, you will not get out
until you have paid the last penny.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Luke 12:58-59

You want to know what this was realy about? The Nixon campaign in
1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the anti-
war left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we
couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting
the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin,
and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities.
We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings,
and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we
were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ John Ehrlichman, Nixon’s domestic policy chief

BIOGRAPHY
ISBN-10: 1-62872-726-8
ISBN-13: 978-1-62872-726-5

mhh, by getting the public to associate…
How many time did they ask me to associate to what they want me to do, per seconds,
only to say later that it wasn’t really what they wanted, and that it wasn’t how they wanted it,
or, just because they prefered someone else to do it, even now, people without skills
and experience, while it was their favorite excuse for over 25 years before, and that every instance
had to be recorded, definitely as adversaries, and definitely worthy of imprisonment, if not as prisoners of war.

INTO THE HEART
OF THE
MAFIA
A Journey Through the Italian South
DAVID LANE

Copyright (C) 2009 by David Lane.

for my wife Franca and in memory of her parents Michele and Angelina
three fine southerners

ISBN 978-0-312-6143-8

UNDERSTANDING
CRIME IN
CANADA
AN INTRODUCTION
TO CRIMINOLOGY
SECOND EDITION

EDITED BY
NEIL BOYD

SAVE 10%
ON YOUR NEXT ORDER OF
EMOND TEXTBOOKS
WHEN YOU ORDER AT
WWW.EMOND.CA
and enter your unique discount
code below during checkout:
VX4LRKJGK

FREE SHIPPING AVAILABLE <<

Copyright (C) 2019 by Emond Montgomery Publications Limited.

We acknowledge the financial support of the Government of Canada.

PART ONE Foundations of Criminilogy
PART TWO Theories of Crime
PART THREE Types of Crime

emond.ca/crim2

ISBN 978-1-77255-400-7

Murder by
Milkshake

An Astonishing True Story
of Adultery, Arsenic,
and a Charismatic Killer

Eve Lazarus

Copyright (C) 2018 by Eve Lazarus

for Mike, Mark, Megan, and Matthew
and for
Jeannine, Ashley, and Lindsay

BIOGRAPHY

ISBN 978-1-55152-746-8 US$18.95

THE COMPLETE IDIOT’S
GUIDE TO
Etiquette
THIRD EDITION
Mary Mitchell
National syndicated
columnist, “Dear Ms.
Demeanor”

Copyright © 2004 by Mary Mitchell

Contents at a Glance
Part 1: Mind, Body, Spirit
Part 2: Dining and Drinking
Part 3: Home and Community
Part 4: Business Etiquette
Part 5: Saying the Right Thing
Part 6: Correspondance
Part 7: Travel
Part 8: Wedding Bells

Contents
Part 1: Mind, Body, Spirit
1 The Mind-Body-Etiquette Connection
2 Sports Etiquette
3 Sex Etiquette

Part 8: Wedding Bells
29 Preparing for the Wedding
30 The Big Day

ISBN 1-59257-261-8

I love books! :grinning:

No one reads anymore, but they miss so much. A book allows you to stop and savor the line without having to hit pause/rewind. You can imagine the scene far better for yourself than even the best movie directors can! A book allows you to just force yourself to sit and relax. A book allows you the time to retain the information you just read.

And since you cant fix stupid, I’ve always had a interest in human development, I thought the first 2 novels were good at least.

http://www.jeanauel.com/books.php

1 Like

Also a real book can’t be taken away from you when a server gets shut down. Real hard copy for me every time.

4 Likes