What are you reading?

still reading medical medium books. I’m re-reading the first one and the one about celery juice, in turns.

I’m wading my way through my book collection, social distancing has given me ample opportunity for reading; I finished off my Pratchett collection a couple of weeks ago and currently halfway through Children of Dune.

I’ve got a lot of Asimov to go through, some Arthur C Clarke and some David Weber and Eric Flint stuff too.

I just finished ‘Network Effect’ by Martha Wells - great fun if you like sci-fi. Worth reading her other ‘MurderBot’ stories first though, to give it a better context.

I’m looking for a book from the 1970s , with a title on
Types of Political Conflicts,

with types descriptions for US and Canada,
as muted conflict,

France and Britain , which is another type, I can’t remember now,

US and USSR, also another type, or , perhaps, similar to another conflict.

And one for Israel type of conflict.

Some of the types or each types had more than one conflict involved, and, examples as it relates to each of those types and conflicts.
Of course, nothing is set in stone, and each data is organized to be related to a type in some ways.

They most likely overlap, and most examples are more suggestive than based on concrete facts not based on interpretation.

I might still have that book in storage, and I might still be able to find it.

I looked in the old forum, which ended in 2017, so, this forum started in 2017.
I could not find it there in the 7 pages saved.
I could not find it here yet, but I think I listed it once.

I just read “Fall or, Dodge in Hell” by Neal Stephenson. Fitst 10% is promising and the rest very tedious.
I am currently reading The Second Sleep by Robert Harris and War of the Maps by Paul McAuley.
Next in queue is The Human/Neal Asher & The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin.

I finished reading the Medical Medium books.
Now I’m reading The Tales of Mother Goose as First Collected by Charles Perrault in 1696.

After that I’ll probably read Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr.

1 Like

Linalool. Who knew?

I started reading Titan.

John D. Rockefeller, Sr.–history’s first billionaire and the patriarch of America’s most famous dynasty–is an icon whose true nature has eluded three generations of historians. Now Ron Chernow, the National Book Award-winning biographer of the Morgan and Warburg banking families, gives us a history of the mogul “etched with uncommon objectivity and literary grace . . . as detailed, balanced, and psychologically insightful a portrait of the tycoon as we may ever have” (Kirkus Reviews). Titan is the first full-length biography based on unrestricted access to Rockefeller’s exceptionally rich trove of papers. A landmark publication full of startling revelations, the book will indelibly alter our image of this most enigmatic capitalist.
Born the son of a flamboyant, bigamous snake-oil salesman and a pious, straitlaced mother, Rockefeller rose from rustic origins to become the world’s richest man by creating America’s most powerful and feared monopoly, Standard Oil. Branded “the Octopus” by legions of muckrakers, the trust refined and marketed nearly 90 percent of the oil produced in America.
Rockefeller was likely the most controversial businessman in our nation’s history. Critics charged that his empire was built on unscrupulous tactics: grand-scale collusion with the railroads, predatory pricing, industrial espionage, and wholesale bribery of political officials. The titan spent more than thirty years dodging investigations until Teddy Roosevelt and his trustbusters embarked on a marathon crusade to bring Standard Oil to bay.
While providing abundant new evidence of Rockefeller’s misdeeds, Chernow discards the stereotype of the cold-blooded monster to sketch an unforgettably human portrait of a quirky, eccentric original. A devout Baptist and temperance advocate, Rockefeller gave money more generously–his chosen philanthropies included the Rockefeller Foundation, the University of Chicago, and what is today Rockefeller University–than anyone before him. Titan presents a finely nuanced portrait of a fascinating, complex man, synthesizing his public and private lives and disclosing numerous family scandals, tragedies, and misfortunes that have never before come to light.
John D. Rockefeller’s story captures a pivotal moment in American history, documenting the dramatic post-Civil War shift from small business to the rise of giant corporations that irrevocably transformed the nation. With cameos by Joseph Pulitzer, William Randolph Hearst, Jay Gould, William Vanderbilt, Ida Tarbell, Andrew Carnegie, Carl Jung, J. Pierpont Morgan, William James, Henry Clay Frick, Mark Twain, and Will Rogers, Titan turns Rockefeller’s life into a vivid tapestry of American society in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It is Ron Chernow’s signal triumph that he narrates this monumental saga with all the sweep, drama, and insight that this giant subject deserves.

1 Like

Isabella of Castile: Europe’s First Great Queen by Giles Tremlett and Conan: Road of Kings by Karl Edward Wagner.

I had to read that book for Philosophy in College in 1985-1986.

My student loan for 1986 was late by over 2 months, so, I could not pay for it in time, due to embezzlement, and , the courts refusing to solve the matter, and, lying I didn’t sue them.

No wonder the army is after them, they offered me an intensive avionics course in 9 months from federal Unemployment Insurance , now changed to Employment Insurance , which I have a case against, due to lack of integrity, and, statistical problems, even during and before the Pandemic, and, with another civil matter on top, from the same party again.

That course is 3 years in College, or, 3 years in the military (air force).

3 - Themes
3.2 - The self and relationships

Also used for the Relationship of Help.

La relation d’aide désigne l’accompagnement psychologique, professionnel ou non, le plus souvent sous forme d’entretiens en tête-à-tête, de personnes en situation de détresse morale ou en demande de soutien (parfois appelé relation « soignant-soigné »).

The helping relationship with psychological support, professional or not, most often in the form of face-to-face interviews, of people in moral distress or in request for support (sometimes called “caregiver-cared for” relationship) ").

Relation d'aide — Wikipédia).

This book which is possible to translate to English from this link is not the Relation of Help book that I read for nursing in Hospital Emergency Service.
There is however a link for :
4 - Nursing Aid Relationship

In English, Counseling.
https://www.aide.ulaval.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Relation-daide-2017.pdf

2 Likes

Comparative Politics, Orvis & Drogus 2015

Pol Sci elective for schoooool

If I started the Social Science bachelor when I was due the $2,000 per month at $400 per months, online, I would almost be finished the first year , if not already in an internship from it.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=bahlK0vVBjYC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=shotgun+peon&source=bl&ots=IQL-aNKFWL&sig=ACfU3U2g3X2qukFsyNOggOzamFf-ikNuog&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPwau468zqAhUmTt8KHbUeBMoQ6AEwAnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=shotgun%20peon&f=false

Peon to Pentagon

By James Murphy

Searching for shotgun peon
instead of ShotGunned Peon

She never used a cookbook or measured anything. She always knew
how much of everything was just perfect.

I said I finished reading Medical Medium books. But I began and re-read celery juice book recently. I finished it yesterday.

There were problems with the info in the book as others on Goodreads already pointed out:

1. Drinking celery juice during pregnancy is OK according to author. But according to other channelers, it is not OK.
  2. Celery juice supplements not ok, the author says. But on Facebook and his own website he promotes exactly those supplements.

I’m still plowing through Titan.

Dietary supplements are essentially flawed in their premise. They think of the body as a machine where certain substances create certain effects, thus, adding more of a given subtance will increase the efffect it has -and that’s wrong. Yet nutrition supplements industry is a massive industry moving tens of billions worldwide, and since most of time suplements are useless and also harmless, it’s difficult to fight the industry back. Nutrition supplements don’t kill (usually) and mostly don’t do harm -it just they are a lie and it’s up the buyer to not be deceived or cheated by them lies.

Our body chemistry only reacts to which it is evolved to react -and only as much as needed. It will intake the amount it needs of every vitamin, oligoelement, mollecule and whatever, and any excess will be cleaned through our liver and kidneys so we crap/pee it. And in our modern world it’s difficult to not ingest enough variety of food as to suffer severe lack of vitamins. Even if we don’t take the super-food that has all the vitamin we need in a single serving, we likely ingest smaller amounts from a dozen different items and just get our daily amount this way.

Supplements are just that "SUPPLI"ments. They supply aid to food. Not as a dinner in a capsule.

Back to books:

I’m still reading Titan. It is a long book and I’m a slow reader of non-fiction.

I haven’t decided yet what fiction book to read alongside it.

1 Like

It’s 2020 and I just bought my first Kindle.

2 Likes

WoT is just a bunch of women occassionally giving firm tugs to their wool skirts while giving disapproving glances to the menfolk. Author died before completion. Avoid unless you have too much time on your hands. Mystical KInights will take ya. PVE/Indy/PI/LS/HS/Weird ass fun with normal folk…

WTF is WoT as a book?

Best device I ever bought, as essential to me as a can/bottle opener or my front door key. I’ve had about 3 or 4, Paperwhite is my go-to for any book I’m reading. The Amazon media site could be a lot better but “buy & read” convenience just about trumps everything.

I’ve got a couple of Fire’s, they are ok as a cheap emergency fondleslab but I’d rather use my ipad for everything except books.

3 Likes

Yeah I am really enjoying it so far. I just got the basic one for $70.

I got it because my school is low on textbooks. Some of them work on my Kindle and others I need to use the computer version of Kindle but that’s not a big deal.

Best new habit? Leaving my phone charge in the other room and reading my Kindle until I sleep when I go to bed

1 Like