What are you reading?

I read Foundation by Asimov. One of my favorites.

I’m reading Greg Bear’s The Forge of God. Almost through with it. Great book.
Next I’ll be reading all of Simon Scarrow’s series of books about the adventures of a centurion and an optio in the Roman legions. First book is Under the Eagle. Can’t wait to start reading that.

1 Like

I just finished Good Morning Midnight. It is very literary; reminded me of Station Eleven.

Which one though?

The first one.

1 Like

Brave new world - Aldous Huxley

Read the first half months ago, I need to push the other half.

3 Likes

This is strangely familiar with new G Clooney movie.

The Clooney movie used some of the same character names and some of the same settings, but the story is quite different.

Primal Intuitions ~ Adrienne Williows
She’s working on another one. Can’t wait!

I’m 72% through Summer Knight.

The moral right of integrity allows authors to prevent certain modifications to their artworks. … The right is generally conceived of as an intellectual property right, and characterized as a right to reputation or a personality right. ~ Oct. 11, 2007

### The Moral Right of Integrity: A Freedom of Expression by Kim …
https://papers.ssrn.com › sol3 › papers

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1019946

The Moral Right of Integrity: A Freedom of Expression

NEW DIRECTIONS IN COPYRIGHT, Vol. 2, Fiona Macmillan, ed., Edward Elgar, 2006

32 Pages Posted: 11 Oct 2007

Kim Treiger-Bar-Am

College of Law and Business; Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Herzliyah - Radzyner School of Law

Abstract

The moral right of integrity allows authors to prevent certain modifications to their artworks.

The right is maintained by the author even where the ownership of the copyright in her work has passed out of her hands.

An example often used to illustrate the complexities of the right is Marcel Duchamp’s painting of a mustache on a replica of Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa.

The right is generally conceived of as an intellectual property right, and characterized as a right to reputation or a personality right.

By contrast,
the aim of this chapter is to develop the characterization of the integrity right in UK law as a human right of expression.

This chapter will situate the integrity right directly within the doctrine of freedom of expression,
and its principle of protection of speakers against distortion of their expression.

Two implications of the analysis may be seen.

Understood as a freedom of expression,
a section 80 claimant would not need to show injury.

Moreover,
while a copier’s defense of freedom of expression to a copyright infringement claim is sometimes viewed as brought from outside the doctrinal framework,
with section 80 both the claim and defense may be seen as partaking of the same doctrinal framework,
namely principles of freedom of expression.

Keywords: integrity right, moral rights, copyright, expression, free speech

JEL Classification: K11

Suggested Citation:

Treiger-Bar-Am, Kim, The Moral Right of Integrity: A Freedom of Expression. NEW DIRECTIONS IN COPYRIGHT, Vol. 2, Fiona Macmillan, ed., Edward Elgar, 2006, Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1019946

New Directions in Copyright Law

2. - :

Cheng-Davies, T. S. L. (2016). Honour in UK Copyright Law is Not ‘A
Trim Reckoning’ – Its Impact on the Integrity Right and the Destruction
of Works of Art. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies, 36(2), 272-303.

_
Peer reviewed version

_
Link to published version (if available):
10.1093/ojls/gqv024

_
Link to publication record in Explore Bristol Research
PDF-document

_
This is the accepted author manuscript (AAM). The final published version (version of record) is available online
via Oxford University Press at http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ojls/gqv024. Please refer to any applicable terms of use
of the publisher.

_
University of Bristol - Explore Bristol Research

3. - :

LSE Research Online

The LONDON SCHOOL
of ECONOMICS and
POLITICAL SCIENCE

Jonas Brown-Pedersen

The Inadequacy of UK Moral Rights

Protection: A Comparative Study on the

Waivability of Rights and

Recontextualisation of Works in Copyright

and Droit D’auteurs Systems

Article (Published version)
(Refereed)

Original citation:
Brown-Pedersen, Jonas (2018) The Inadequacy of UK Moral Rights Protection: A Comparative
Study on the Waivability of Rights and Recontextualisation of Works in Copyright and Droit
D’auteurs Systems. LSE Law Review, 3. pp. 115-128.
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.21953/lse.ir8b0i90x2l6

© 2018 LSE Law Society

2018 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ LSE LAW REVIEW _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 115
The Inadequacy of UK Moral Rights Protection: A
Comparative Study on the Waivability of Rights and
Recontextualisation of Works in Copyright and Droit
D’auteurs Systems

Jonas Brown-Pedersen*

ABSTRACT

The paper examines two aspects of UK moral rights protection, namely the waiver of rights
provided for under section 87(2) of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (‘CDPA’)
and the protection of copyright works from recontextualisation, in a comparative study. The
jurisdictions compared are the UK, Canada, and the Nordic Countries. The paper argues that
UK protection of authors’ moral rights are insufficient, chiefly due to the operation of section
87(2) CDPA and the lack of protection against recontextualisation (‘the spirit of the
Convention’). The purpose of comparison is to furnish alternative solutions existing under the
same international framework as the CDPA. In concluding, the paper finds that comparing the
copyright law system of the UK to the Canadian hybrid system and the Nordic droit d’auteurs
systems reveals a scale from least to most substantial protection of moral rights, with a greater
emphasis on protection of the spirit of the work in droit d’auteurs jurisdictions, as illustrated by
Swedish case law.

INTRODUCTION

International copyright law is, at its very core, a philosophical compromise. This
is no surprise: it is likely that all large, multilateral treaties are a result of some sort
of compromise between the philosophical schools followed by different Member
States, owing to the State-specific nature of law. These differences may turn out
to have little practical significance, or, as in the case of the 1886 Berne Convention

• Third year LLB student at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of
    London

4. - :

PROTECTING MORAL RIGHTS IN THE UNITED
STATES AND THE UNITED KINGDOM:
CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
UNDER THE U.K.’S NEW
PERFORMANCES REGULATIONS

Robert C. Bird* and Lucille M. Ponte**

INTRODUCTION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 213
I. AN HISTORICAL OVERVIEW OF MORAL RIGHTS . . . . . . . . . . . 217
II. CONTEMPORARY MORAL RIGHTS IN FRANCE. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 227
III. MORAL RIGHTS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 234
IV. CONTEMPORARY MORAL RIGHTS IN THE UNITED STATES . 247
V. POTENTIAL CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR U.S.
LAW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 262
CONCLUSION. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 282

I finished reading Summer Knight long ago. It was the 4th book in the Dresden Files series. Now I’m 54% through the 5th book titled “Death Masks”. It is about the thievery of the legendary Shroud of Turin.

I read the most cringy book everyday for many years.20210510_095612

I have read 2 versions of the Bible, the Tora and the Koran cover to cover.

I see them all as a pain in the ass. So I wanted to know my enemas…

Try reading it in mandarin.:grin:

Try asking my older brother! (please don’t as he would never shut up afterwards) He can do it!

OH man, and never bring up the Mig 15 around him… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I finished reading the Death Masks, the 5th book yesterday. Today I started reading Esther Hicks’s Law of Attraction book. I’ve read it so fast that I’m 77 percent through it.

I finished the Law of Attraction book long ago. I haven’t read anything since then. I am now starting to read again.

Should I read Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist or Ayn Rand’s Fountainhead?

I’m reading a book by someone I’ve known for years and didn’t know was an author. It’s called Outlaws by Allen Cody and it’s really really good. It’s a bunch of short stories and not one of them is what I expected. Apparently he’s written a bunch of books and that’s terrific, I suddenly have something to read for a while.

I think I read this, though the description seems a little off. If it’s what I think it is I agree, great book.
It’s really weird reading when you know how to fly the ships in the story.

Most people consider Atlas Shrugged to be Ayn Rand’s obra maestra, not The Fountainhead.