What are you reading?

I’ve started and finished reading the book about energy during these several days. The book’s first part was about energy(which I understood very well what it was saying), the second part about was about economy(which I couldn’t understand due to not having a background in economy).
What to read next?

The Power of Now?

Self-Help books? Disgusting…That’s why I like self help books. Because they are disgusting. :star_struck:

It would be something new for you!

Being spiritual is the new “working smart” they say.

In my experience, being spiritual usually means not working at all.

If it is fun, it doesn’t feel like work at all.

Not sure anyone here reads Spanish, but I just found the most depressing short story I read when I was around 12. “Tini” from Eduardo Wilde. It’s from 1881.

https://albalearning.com/audiolibros/ewilde/tini.html

Discworld is incredibly good, it’s not really a children-targetted series. It’s comedy and satire about day-to-day situations but in a fictional fantasy world. Im reading the Nightwatch series from Discworld.

1 Like

Back in the times, one in two couples would lose at least one child before adult age. Dead children were a common occurence in life, just the way the world was. And then vaccines happened.

I cannot imagine what it must be like for a parent losing a child/children. It must been really hard on them. The closest was the first half of Disney’s “Up” and it was really heart wrenching to watch.

It(Discworld) is a well written series that every book has its own introduction to series. At least the first several ones. Reportedly, Sir Pratchett had been writing stuff long before he started writing the series. There are almost a character for every reader yet it is not a flood and each character gets a proper buildup and has their own characteristics. There’s even a character who T A L K S L I K E T H I S.

Re-reading the very first sf novel I ever read in English, in the below edition even. It held up well, as most of Asimov’s work does.

It’s a bit sad when a forum engine asks this question:

Revive this topic?

The last reply to this topic was 68 days ago. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation.

Are you sure you want to continue this old conversation?

Yep, I do. Reading is important :wink:

5 Likes

I am reading the Dawn of Everything - it is like a wide-sweeping history of humanity. They go over a whole lot of archeological information to talk about our history as a species. In particular, they seem to focus on how our society evolved as we got more sophisticated. Their biggest contention seems to be against the idea that we need powerful top-down government in order to function at our best.

3 Likes

A gift for my bday from my brother in January.
51rYNpv8s3L.AC_SY1000
Haven’t started it, though. I’m still in this one
61YC77rOhkL.SX324_BO1,204,203,200

3 Likes

Been reading Quarter-Share by Nathan Lowell (Series). Just finished the 6th book.

3 Likes

Well read!
I’m currently reading Dresden Files book 8. I am at the very beginning so I have no idea what it is about.

2 Likes

I finished Kropotkin‘s Mutual Aid and now am about 15% of the way into Ayn Rand‘s Atlas Shrugged.

1 Like

Atlas Shrugged is on my e-reader and read list, but I couldn’t get myself to sit down to read it like ever.
I hesitated because I had the impression that it was like a lecture instead of a novel.
Please tell us your take on the book once you’re done.

If Amazon e-readers were automobiles, then Kindle 3 Keyboard would be a Mercedes-Benz 300 SL 1954 gullwinged coupé, while Kindle Oasis would be a Rolls-Royce Phantom 2023, and the Kindle Scribe would be a Bugatti Chiron.

Those authors are complete opposites, guess you’re making a little experiment here?

I enjoy reading literature that covers a wide spectrum of things with slants I don’t necessarily agree with. This is just adding to the pile. Happy to share the list of things I’ve already read upon request.

When I die I don’t just want my detractors of all kinds of ideologies to say “boy did he have :poop: opinions” but “boy did he have :poop: opinions which is extra sad because he was so well read”.