What are you reading?

So… Goodreads yearly statistics are announced. According to Goodreads I’ve read 25,383 pages in total since I’ve joined less than a decade ago. That’s approx. 3,172 pages a year. I simply had two years where I’ve read a lot.

I finished this book long ago. I am currently reading Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.
It’s a book written by a veteran surgeon in the field of plastic surgeries. It is about how self-image is related to how we live our life.

It is also considered one of the first modern spirituality books.

p.s.: It is the book where the “If you do something for 21 days, it becomes a habit” or concept originates.

A re-read of the second Amber cycle by Zelazny.
Actually starting to appreciate the 4th volume (book 9) a lot, maybe because I didn’t re-read the first cycle this time ?

On the wish list:

I have just started to re-read the Lensman series of books by E E “Doc” Smith. I first read them easily over 30 years ago.

I got the full set on Amazon for around £1.99 I think. (kindle version)

Next will be the Skylark series, both are space based sci-fi and they’re great considering how long ago they were written.

A perfect example of an imagination running wild lol.

2 Likes

I have pretty much gone through all that could be considered “the basics” of sci-fi and fantasy decades ago, most of “must reads” at least for years, so I am mostly binging Reddit HFY and various Royal Road serials whenever I get some free time (lunch breaks, bathroom time, before-bed-time).

1 Like

Nothing.

1 Like

:point_down:
:rofl:

Been reading this one:

Reading my diary: https://www.james315.space/

I could not resist, and why should I even try. After reading the second Amber series a slow “savour every moment and every word” re-read of the first series happened. It’s the old resonance of an old Pattern, maybe.

Now for funsies:

2 Likes

I haven’t read The Expanse books yet, despite becoming quite the fanboy thanks to the show. Might remedy that soon-ish.
I’ve also been flirting with a re-read of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series, but anyone familiar with it should know what’s keeping me from diving back in (hint: it’s really, really bloody big).

1 Like

The book series is just as gripping as the show, and the little differences improve the experience of the story if you saw the show first. Be prepared for a big change in the final trilogy (it becomes clear why the show stopped at book 6). They are easy, fast reads - the antithesis of Neal Stephenson, who I’m reading now, along with the first volume of Cixin Liu’s Three-Body trilogy.

1 Like

I finished reading 9th book “White Night” in The Dresden Files series. It’s the best in series so far…until I read the next ones.

Spoiler

It was morose to see how Lasciel cried and then perished in the cave fight.

1 Like

I finished another book. It was Matt Haig’s “The Midnight Library”.

The story was a blending of books and hopping through paralel realities.

There are some stuff that I agree…and some disagree with in the book.

But in the end, it was a decent book.

Still nothing

Hey! That’s the book 13th Warrior movie was based on! It was a memorable movie. How’s the book? Better than movie adaptation as the general rule?

SPOILER ALERT

It’s based on the epic “Beowulf”.

I finished reading that book.

I’m now currently reading two books actively:

and

Today and tomorrow are discount Prime Day on Amazon main website. They sell e-books for discount.
Today until 22nd is discount Prime Week on Amazon Türkiye website. They don’t sell any e-books at all, but only physical books for discount.
What books are you guys going to buy and read?

Been reading Robert Howard. His stories and the way he wrote them never get old.

Also, if anyone is interested to read books online for free from authors who aren’t around anymore:

3 Likes

I abandoned reading Good Omens due to the humor not appealing to me. At least not the one written by Neil Gaiman(Terry Pratchett is fine).

Skulduggery Pleasant was a good read. A simple book, but has a promising premise.

I also finished Diablo’s first book titled “Demonsbane” a while ago. I found out that it was originally set as a tie-in in the Diablo lore.

I look forward to delve into sci-fi, but I was dismayed when I read from wiki that Seveneves was an apocalyptic book.

I’m starting Dune with the recommendation of so many people, in EVE and outside of EVE. I’ve also been recommended to start it from “Butlerian Jihad”, the first book in chronological order of Dune universe. I’ll read Dune the first book first and then move to chr. order for the sake to have a proper exposure first.

However, non-fiction slot… that is still yet to be decided.

1 Like