What do you miss about Eve that is now gone?

Jukebox.

Speaking of…

Sound.

Strangely my game hasn’t had sound in years.

1 Like

I miss something odd…
I miss being a noob.
I am not an old player by most people’s standards here, but being totally new was stunning. I miss my misconceptions, ideas like exploration being something other than just running data and relic sites, that I could go somewhere no one else had been (or had left a ton of crap).
I remember thinking that if I kept going in some direction new parts of the map would open up, and when I found that to not be the case I thought maybe wormholes, I found them to be over populated as well, and again, full of abandoned junk.
The longer I play the more New Eden shrinks, I can identify where I am by who is in local, I want the sense that I’m in deep space back, that I am actually exploring, and that I might find stuff someone else hasn’t already found (and worse, made a wiki entry for).
At some point jumping turned from feeling like I was going somewhere to a tedious thing that I have to do to accomplish something that has already been done, the further I need to go the less interested I become.
I remember finding a plasma planet for the first time and thinking that it was the most amazing thing ever, I took screenshots of it and spent the time needed to fly all the way around it to get better angles, the next day I found another just like it in another system. At some point I realized that all systems contained different quantities of the same stuff and Eve shrank.
I remember thinking that when I switched from my civilian afterburner to my first microwarp drive that I could go off into deep space, or outrun anyone, I tried to slow boat to the Eve Gate in my first three days thinking that I was very clever for having searched for “Eve” in the map.
I miss thinking that by playing I would learn the lore of Eve, only to find that the lore is mostly on the web.
I’ve had some ideas about this problem, but now I miss the idea that they would be implemented if they were good ideas, I know they won’t, and I know that if they were someone would freak out and throw a fit, then it would be nerfed, and some gigantic corporation would cause it to become dull and lackluster by saturating it overnight.

One of the CSM people said early on in this thread “I miss hope” and I find that deeply disturbing. The idea that hope it self is dead, and worse, dead to someone elected to influence CCP on behalf of the people playing is an appalling state of affairs.

I still have hope, but with things like that it’s dwindling, I’ve seen how many good things were removed, how many good ideas were abandoned instead of being carried out to their logical extremes, and I’ve seen violent nerfs wipe out months and months of skill training, entire corporations, and have seen people I loved playing with quit because of these.

I miss things I’ve never seen, like Captains Quarters and Dust.
If I were CCP I would bring these back, I would expand them, I would make it so that you could get out of your ship, leave your quarters, and get stabbed in the back in some dingy part of the station you had docked in. I would make it possible to invade planets and take them over, or get killed by people on the ground for flying to close.
I would add gravity so that planets and moons move creating the need for proper navigation and I would make stations orbit these things. I would make all celestial objects procedural so they were unique, each with its own resources in different proportions.
I miss the idea that any of that is likely, let alone possible.
When I see someone from the CSM say “I miss hope” I wonder if I will start to feel like that as well. If the CSM has lost hope we have a problem, not a small problem, a very very big one, we, for better or worse, elected these people to give us hope, and the means to voice it.

I refuse to become a “bitter vet” but I’m starting to get my first ideas of how they come to be. Still, CSM aside, there is hope, or at least I want to think so.

4 Likes

This.

1 Like

Why on earth would you even still be here?

Stockholm Syndrome?

1 Like

definitive the Bountysystem

I miss the days when EVE development was interesting.

Now they add a few percentages here and there and call it a day. Most of the work seems devoted to the cash shop and daily rewards. I honestly regret having come back and spent money one more month in here.

2 Likes

Soling c3 wormholes in a drake and getting 5m for each nano, and paying for months of gametime in one sitting.

2 Likes

I miss the Gila being strong! It’s such a struggle to solo a 5/10 now. It’s already nasty enough that it sends me to the ass-ends of Molden Heath and Great Wildlands for a pittance amount of loot…

2 Likes

They completely reworked a class of ships this last one, certainly a lot more than “a couple percent”. I think you just mean you want the development to be relative to your toon, which is understandable.

This is beautiful. The (old old) forums were full of people proclaiming “Eve is harsh, adapt and overcome or quit”. And then the prey adapted, overcame, and or quit. And now somehow its the games fault.

Au revoir, Felicia.

I never understood that; how electing players to represent what people want would help. What the people wanted in this case if for the devs (involved with that incident) to not cheat.

Been playing since 2003, from Day One.

What’s gone, and what I miss most, is the respect for skill points. Everything else that has made the game easier and easier has devolved from that.

It’s still the best game I know of, which is why I still play. But it used to be that when you wanted to fly something you had to plan for it, grind for it, skill for it, and then when you got there, it was a great feeling to accomplish something, even if all it was for is a game.

I understand why the company has made the choice to allow P2W and why they allow anyone to sign up, buy PLEX and Skill Injectors, and (POOF) like magic a new toon can be in caps in no time. But where is the sense of accomplishment, building something, growing something and being part of something?

The game feels like it has lost its way from what originally set it apart from everything else. Now you sign up a new toon, and within days pew pew pew all over in any ship, but that seems to me to cater to a different target audience than what originally made this game so special.

It wasn’t easy, then, to accomplish things in game. And you couldn’t buy your way to advancing your toons or replacing your losses. I don’t have the answer, and I realize that real world economics drives this, but wouldn’t it something if accomplishing things and advancing in game had more to it than inserting a credit card number.

14 Likes

Agreed. However, a huge aspect of that was unprecedented toxicity. And it was self destructive. Yeah, you can fly a cap on Daddys credit card now. But the meta was previously harassing noobs till they broke. How many potential cap pilots did CCP lose because “**** you, Eve is supposed to be harsh”? Enough for them to change the meta to something profitable.

3 Likes

We can only hope thousands

Clearly it made enough of a financial impact to be remedied. I would imagine tens of thousands.

Ultimate point is that there’s no way its ever going to be like it used to be, because how it used to be wasn’t sustainable.

1 Like

Sadly true.

Now we have more of those awful things than subcaps

Seems to be pretty stable using Steam with Proton

CCP not abandon potential good stuff, like Dust514,Captains quarter,Walk in stations. Because i dont know why.

2 Likes

The feel of freedom being left to own resources in the unknown. And the people are remarkably different now. Well, WIS goes without saying.

Add-on: Effectively uncontrolled swathes of nullsec. Unexplored systems in the Anoikis.

1 Like

Eve newbie here. I’ve always been in awe of old Eve which is why I decided to take the plunge, but it is patently clear the well-spring is polluted and drying up.

Imagine my disappointment when I see this online store > https://secure.eveonline.com/

If people can just buy benefits (I think the brainwashed call it Pay 2 Convenience) then there is no reason to play the game.

Paid for a 3 month sub 2 days ago … will now be cancelling that sub.

So … what do I miss? The LEGENDARY days of yore when Eve meant something. It’s now a corrupted mess of mediocrity … just like Black Desert Online. The age of LEGENDS is over, more’s the pity.

2 Likes

Understandable sentiment

Still, why not give it a go, having already paid for it, and make a better-informed decision in the end of those 3 months rather than cancelling on impulse.

2 Likes