What do you think would bring eve into a new golden age

They left because things got stale and nobody was replacing the movers and shifters because they could no longer be moved or shifted.

This is why the political intrigue in Eve is the only meaningful lasting thing.

Your original argument was that all EVE needs is for better and more interesting players to be more active.

Now you’ve gone to “the better more interesting players left because game got stale and status quo doesn’t change”.

Your circular reasoning is that the game is stale, but better more interesting players logging in will make it “not stale”, but the better more interesting players leave because the game is stale.

Maybe to the new kid. But believe me, after a handful of years that can get pretty stale too.

Of course, there’s people who’ll eat stale food every day and be happy to have that much. There’s a niche even for old, stale content - if that’s all you got.

But it’s not a very big niche, nor a very interesting one.

2 Likes

No, the game isn’t stale…the people in the game are stale. The people are the game…they are what convert it from pixels to meaningful content.

No, its not circular, as the people are the game.

So how do CCP attract and retain non-stale players?

1 Like

They need to stop treating their players like mushrooms.

2 Likes

In science, they call that a feedback loop.

It is, indeed, circular.

1 Like

Stop shooting music videos about this game and make it about the difference of actual PvP experience.

For example; show people playing an Overwatch clone (don’t want a lawsuit after all) and the person gets upset. “Did you see that sh**?! There is no way that guy isn’t cheating!” other player replies, “Yeah, they’ve got to be using an aimbot. Report them, if you feel that will make a difference.”. Show more footage of game with characters bouncing around at 90 mph and shooting as a voice over says;

"Are you sick and tired of PvP that requires no brains and all reflex? Are aimbots are taking over your games? "

Jump cut to REAL footage of Eve Online battles;

“Come play Eve Online, where PvP combat is all about the way you build your ships, your strategy, and your unique planning. Get into 1 on 1 combat with friends and other players, or join a fleet of hundreds for massive battles. Other games will make you wait long periods to join PvP, Eve Online values your time, and from the very start you are a valid target for PvP.”

Music and title card;

“Play Eve Online, explore, discover, and conquer a real universe in our virtual cosmos!”

That would more factual than luring all these new players here with eye-candy and empty promises. Until 6 months ago, I thought Eve Online was another Star Wars / Star Trek clone game. I didn’t come here until a complete stranger in another game told me the truth about Eve Online. They said, this was a thinking game of PvP and not some bouncy, twiddle fingers, jiggle show.

CCP needs to stop selling this game as arcade action and start thinking along the lines of chess instead.

5 Likes

A single ratting Ishtar getting blobbed by 20 dreads and carriers?

Or maybe shuttles and frigates getting insta-popped left and right at a low sec smartbomb gate camp?

5 Likes

@QuakeGod sure why not, at least it would be more honest than the footage we have all seen. They could go to Ahbazon near the Hykkota gate for that sort of thing. If you ever join “rookie help chat” the new players keep asking the same questions. The advertisement is selling them the wrong game.

Long story short, most battles and PVP in EVE isn’t about thinking or skill, it’s about N+1. It’s always been that way. Doesn’t matter how good you are or how good your fit is or how much skill you have when the other guy drops ten times the number of ships on you…

8 Likes

What you’ve presented is mostly just a different lie though.

QuakeGod already covered what I was going to highlight by saying:

It’s also worth pointing out that people get lured here with “massive battles” too, but the reality of those battles is that TiDi kicks in and everything slows down. New people then start shouting over comms that their controls aren’t working because in high TiDi everything appears to be broken because of all the delays.

2 Likes

Skills, fits, and game knowledge are generally the realm of PVE. In PVP it doesn’t matter as much unless you are doing true, solo, 1 v 1 PVP, which is a rare occurrence. So rare in fact that CCP had to add PVP arenas just to keep the playing field level and somewhat fair…

2 Likes

HOOOOOOOAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
:fire: :fire: HOW DARE YOU TO SUMMON ME FROM MY LOLI SUCCUBI WAIFU HELL PIT :fire: :fire:

just kidding …
i was bored of playing with my Minecraft lego set

I’m glad you remembered me :hugs:

3 Likes

I’m a PvE care bear brand spanking new to the game. I was killed once all ready and I didn’t rage quit. I took a calculated risk and payed the price.

PvE has always attracted the most number of players, though that reality never sits well with the predators amongst the player population. It is though, a known fact.

CCP should expand PvE activities. New missions, new mission levels in High Sec. New Abysmal type stuff.

Why should the PvP community fully support this?

There’s a sucker born every minute and that’s where you get you’re fresh meat from.

I willing payed CCP for skill injections and for Plex. I have 2 12 month Omega accounts and an alpha.

I’ll play as long as I find the game fun. At this point, I have long, medium, and short term term goals. All PvE. It’s where the money is for CCP. Lets see where they go from here.

5 Likes

And what would these “tools” be, in EVE, pray tell?

The tools you use to play the game. The ships, the market, the structures, the corporations, the communication channels, the sov systems. All the toys in the box, with much fewer limits put on their use than in most other MMO games.

Do you even read what you’re saying?

Sometimes. Do you even read what I’m saying?

I’m pretty sure that having a public activity monitor with ranking isn’t changing the “core design and identity” of EVE.

Then you are profoundly wrong and once again prove you do not understand the game and its long-lasting appeal as a freeform space for players to project their own goals onto. And you didn’t just posit activity monitors and rankings, but unlocks and rewards as well.

The Sandbox vs. Themepark duality has been a longstanding concept in discussions on EVE’s design and both the creators and the playerbase usually agreed that EVE leaning more towards the Sandbox side of the spectrum is its core strength. I agree with that. What you’re trying to do is to make it more of a gamefied theme park, to its detriment.

You’re like any number of these odd reactionaries that act like the smallest change to EVE will irreparably smash everything they ever enjoyed in the game.

Ah, the old “you don’t like my changes, therefore you must hate all changes” strawman.

The game has changed a lot since I first played it and I both loved and disliked some of these changes. Assuming I’m against all new ideas no matter what is an intellectually dishonest copout.

I’ve yet to see any ideas of yours,

If I feel I have any ideas worth discussing, I’ll be sure to let you know. Until that time, I will continue commenting on the ideas of others.

other than to start a tantrum over information that’s already publicly available being more accessible in the game.

Is the amount of ore other people mined in your region really publicly available? The number of rats each of them killed? How much money they earned trading? zKillboard’s data is public, but you can choose to conceal information from it, and that’s a good thing. Intel on other players’ activity is valuable.

And you didn’t just posit making information public, you proposed players be rewarded and recognized in-game for climbing rankings and grinding achievements. You come out with these generic multiplayer game mechanics and think this constitutes some kind of profound insight into game design without wondering if a leaderboard really is a one size fits all solution.

If I seem angry, that’s brcause CCP have already cheapened EVE’s trademark harsh sandbox a bit with things like selling SP and the instanced Abyssal pockets, and it seems for some this still isn’t enough. EVE is, by design, an acquired taste - an aged whiskey, but you want to make it a Bud Light because that sells better.

1 Like

Unknown

@Fenwe_Otoshoni

hey…
chill …EVE pvp is dead
dont tell anyone

4 Likes

Adding PvE content isn’t a bad thing and I haven’t seen a lot of people posit that. Not sure if you realize, but most PvPers actually do a lot of PvE to finance themselves and wouldn’t mind the content being updated, refreshed and expanded.

Both sides of the equation need to be fed for the game and its economy to work, however. More varied and engaging PvE is good, as long as it’s not guaranteed safe PvE simply because that’s what the whales expect.

I’m glad you’re having fun with the game and understand the risk/reward balancing it involves. We need PvErs like you in the game.

1 Like

The way the game is heading, I would say ban all pvp in hs. No war dec’s, no ganking or npc killing new players.

That will fill the server! :smiley:

3 Likes

Sceptical of whether CCP can pull it off and running into 3rd decade with yet another Golden Age for this game.

This requires innovative thinking and careful planning rather than aggressive marketing and follow the crowd with micro-transactions all over the place.

We don’t know the exact demographic that’s playing the game right now, there are a good portion that are surely going into the gramps group as well as players who were not even born when the game first released. As such, customer behaviour and expectations are wildly different.

The decades long PVP vs PVE are starting to get irrelevant if not only fuelling divisiveness amongst players. It’s a question CCP should ask themselves what kind of players are they wishing to attract and retain, not PVPer nor PVEer, but rather the gamer age group as gen x,y,z and millennials etc all likely have different preferences. The thing is, is CCP’s design team aware of such and therefore focusing on the right design decisions and priorities to keep up with the dynamics of the gaming industry and (overall) gamers ever changing expectations?

Eve “was” a niche game, but personally I would argue the first golden age ended with the (note, not start) Empyrean Age release and everything after that the company has plenty of failed ideas and projects all over the place regardless it was Eve itself or things that related to Eve or even ones that have no relations at all. For the past 15 years, only a few content introductions gets widely approved by the players, the team at CCP has poured energy and resources into iterations and re-iterations over and over again, mostly endless rebalancing. With that, it ended all possible innovation as resources ran dry and allocated elsewhere.

Just from a player’s individual perspective (and I only belong one group of the many that the player base is based on), “one” of the many many suggestion that can get me thrilled about being present in New Eden more is removal of activity restrictions based on system sec status and like others suggested, perhaps remove Null entirely.(Make Terrans reopen the wormhole and invade New Eden, kill all the empires and we shall all bow to the dark side etc. Afterall, Jamyl would be very lonely in the afterworld due to being ROFLSTOMPed by the Trigs years ago and she wished company).

The removal of such restrictions require huge determination and courage as a well-thought overhaul to the some of the decade old game mechanics and will shake up the entire Eve Universe for sure, but if it is well-thought, planned and executed, it would breathe new life into the game and it shall be named “Awakening”!..ahh…yes! Change it and bring some literal “Rude Awakening” to the plague of Eve…the cause of all stagnation. Bring capitals (maybe not Titans) into HS would please spaceship lovers, so please find a way to do that, subject to the conditions outlined in the first part of this paragraph. I’m not here to just say flick your finger and make changes overnight, but there is going to be many ways to achieve such and still retain risk-reward niche to satisfy majority of the players with proper, careful and intelligent planning. Question is, can CCP do it?

Reported for stealing my idea.

3 Likes