What Eve is like for a new player

I don’t know, im really new to the game and I’ve enjoying it a lot

Glad to hear that…!

Most can say many negative things about EVE but regardless of that, it’s still an amazing game with no real rival.

Fly safe!

o7

1 Like

Yeah I know, I posted a screenshot on Reddit telling my adventures as a new player and i saw some negative comments. Bust most of the guys there were really supportive

I guess joining a good corp (not a scam/ idiots or one of the mega blobs where you are cannon fodder and meaningless) early on is very important.
It’s true you can buy isk and all jobs don’t feel important. If you play solo or in a mega bloc where individuals don’t matter. If you are in a small group trying to survive in null sec and/ or have an important role to fulfill, the experience is totally different. As for playing with your wallet- unless you are a millionaire the guy with some friends and market knowledge is gonna be richer in-game.
Example- we did a market manipulation back when plex was around 1 bil and earned something like 150b+ in 3 months. 2-3 thousand $. Maybe pennies for some, but for people in east europe that’s 2-3x salary (can’t buy this much isk).

2 Likes

I think the key for everyone, and while everyone’s will be different, is to have a goal/plan. FC or indy guy or explorer or pirate or professional ship spinner, direction is important.

Without that the sandbox is pretty pointless.

This is a bunch of horse crap.

Lol

By that I mean you’re wrong

1 Like

I’ve found that the key to enjoying EVE is being able to set your own goals. Decide what you want to do and go out and make that happen. If you are someone who needs to have goals fed to you by the game so that you can react to them, chances are you won’t like EVE very much.

PVE missions do this a little bit, but mostly they work as a source of income. If you join a corp, your fellow corp members may partially provide you with a set of “goals” in the form of invitations to help them out, fleet up, etc. Mostly, however, I think EVE works best for independent people, and many or most corps expect you to be able to operate that way as well.

It’s somewhat common for new players to complain about a lack of a sense of “progression” in EVE, and I’ve always found that a little bizarre. I guess that would make sense if you are someone that needs to be told what to do, even in a game, but why would you want that? It’s a game; it exists to serve your enjoyment, not for you to be the slave of some piece of software.

I you like just being a mindless robot, then I suppose there are games out there that may fill that purpose, but that’s not EVE. Learn the game mechanics, apply your imagination, and go out there and do something in this vast, complex sandbox.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by a “broken” economy. It’s a player-driven economy for the most part. There are a few areas where an imbalance in ISK sources vs. sinks may be causing inflation at times (mostly in PLEX prices), but for the most part prices fluctuate in response to player demand.

There are a few forms of loot that have NPC buyers, and skillbooks and many blueprint originals are sold by NPCs, but prices are otherwise set by players. It’s certainly true that prices can vary widely and liquidity may be quite poor for some items, especially outside of Jita or another major trade hub. That’s not “broken”, however; it’s just a natural result of the costs and risks associated with creating a market in those items.

If I buy something in EVE for trade, not to use, then I’m assuming the risk of holding that item in inventory until I can find another buyer to sell it to for profit. My ISK will be tied up in inventory for all such items. If the market for those items is fairly liquid, then I may not have to wait long. Otherwise, I may need to wait a long time and/or move it to another location that is either more liquid or where I may be able to get a better price provided I can wait.

Regardless of whether items are bought/sold in trade hubs or out in the less populated regions of EVE, players are deciding what value those items have and how long they are willing to wait for either a purchase or sale to complete at an acceptable price. There is nothing broken about that, it’s just its occuring with lower liquidity than most people may be used to when compared to the real world.

There are real-world items that have roughly similar liquidity problems. Real estate is not a very liquid asset compared to stocks, government debt, or most corporate bonds. Private businesses also are hard to sell and are hard to value. Artwork, antiques, and other non-mainstream consumer items may either not be very liquid and/or may have a very wide buy/sell spread as well as being difficult to value. Jewelry is probably easier to value than art, but it also has a wide buy/sell spread due to inventory risk for the vendor.

It may be helpful to keep the above in mind before declaring that EVE’s economy is broken.

3 Likes

It’s broken in two ways IMO:

1. The massive mining fleets in NS, legit or not, pretty much killed HS manufacturing and all related activities. You can still do it of course but you need to be a real masochist to play with those margins. So not only is trade a one way street now (NS to HS) but the prices are so low it renders competition null…cough
  2. Real world money…or RMT. The “chaos era” was a sign of that and I bet it’s a bigger issue than we know. The result is cheap ISK.

The actual ‘small picture’ economy is fine…it’s the big one that’s scary…IMO of course…

U are correct!
Im just disappointed, i feel like there is many easy fixes that would make the game much more playable.

We have way too many resources available for easy crab, just grind time!
Not much demand.
Also if different space would provide different resources more exclusively!

1 Like

There speaks someone who’s never had the dubious pleasure of working on old code written by someone else…

Thanks OP, a little shrill but generally accurate - but there those of us that stick around either for old times sake, or because Eve just happens to ‘do it’ for us - its a little -> je ne sais quoi

Have you ever tried sh*t?

Regardless of that…its much harder to balance a game as player created as EvE.

The fact that you cant just create content, players have to want to build and use it…

Changes everything

1 Like

You know what brother, that’s just an excuse CCP uses to explain away their lazy incompetence. Instead of constantly wasting money on flash in the pan projects, they could delegate that money to hire an experienced troubleshooter programmer to rewrite that code so that CCP’s in-house programmers could work with it.

I really think the issue comes down to balancing in game content.

This game is probably as well balanced as Starcraft but with 100x as much game content.

You cant just crush some exploited content and think it will fix things because EVERYONE has already adapted to the exploit and is swimming in a common market.

If CCP just silly Nilly “fixes” things then you get Zimbabwe economies…

Do you want eve to be a Zimbabwe?

I wasn’t talking about changing anything in the game, was talking about CCP hiring an experienced competent programmer to rewrite and update the old code.

Its only an assumption their codebase isnt as good as it will get. Only so many ways to solve for a prime number kind of thing.

Frequently a good one. The more complex it gets the more ways it could be refactored depending on the dynamic needs of the various components as they are updated, but also more difficult and risky to refactor.

As far as CCP is concerned, there is no problem with the program source code. Why fix something that isn’t broken?