What Eve is like for a new player

Tired of people like you constantly implying something totally different then what’s actually written.

I never said it was a safe thing to do back then but it was definitely a lot safer than now.

Thats not what he said.
I agree fleeting up was more of a thing back then. After losing my first Raven in recon 1 of 3, all I had to do was ask in local and a “random” Kronos warped back in with me.
I also helped out alot of new peeps in the starter missions. Not so much now tbh. But thats cos local is dead. When warn people about MTU killers, nobody responds. Their good right ofcourse, but I have to wonder if local is even read.

8 Likes

Yeah I also remember a lot more chat in local about players helping each other in missions. Several times an hour in even in non-mission hub systems.

Now days that’s just asking to get ganked.

8 Likes

Really no. Back then fleeting up would effectively get you in to a wardec and murdered. Back then you didn’t have the friendly fire toggle for corps either so anyone could join for a nice safari and they were FAR more difficult to get rid of.

It is NOT harder these days, it’s in fact a lot safer. You seriously don’t have the slightest idea.

3 Likes

I am reading local. It is quiet, but I do respond to people if they seem to need help, direction, or any other easily rendered assistance, such as scanning down lost objects after warping away from their site (a mistake we’ve probably all made).

I agree that it’s quiet now, and that it was easier to get random assistance before, but I don’t want people to lose heart, so I’m chiming in to say I listen, and I’ll help you if I can.

10 Likes

I try to be as loud and obnoxious in local as possible, even going so far as to advise on safe working practises, but the blank drooling stares are just a turn off.

CCP, improve my experience of new players plx.

5 Likes

Take a quick look over on the in game Chat channels under the topics that interest you the most.

I’m always in rookie channel helping newbies in whatever way or form. Most of that is answering questions and debunking nonsense other players have told them. Some of that is helping them kill Dagan or something similar.

I do keep an eye on local but generally I’m too busy chatting & typing in rookie or in convos.

5 Likes

I always wonder with these ‘n00b quitting’ posts if it’s really a n00b, or just an old hand with a new character and an axe to grind. Or am I being unduly cynical ?

7 Likes

and the OP is forgotten in the rush of bollox talk.

how is any of this helpful to the OP ?

i’m sure he’ll read it and think yup, quiting is a good idea.

always possible.

3 Likes

Yeah, back then people were a lot more willing to help others.

After my first year of playing I bought a researched Hurricane BPC and after looking at the amount of minerals needed, I realized it would take forever to mine those so I just figured it was a waste of ISK. I mentioned it to someone who then told somebody else who then told another, etc and next thing I know I get a Fleet invite to a Mining Opp consisting of 1/2 a dozen Hulks, a Retriver and an Orca.

I didn’t know any of the players but they wanted to help me build my first ship. All I had to do was use my Hoarder Industrial ship and haul the Ore back to station. They mined more Ore for me than what was required and even reprocessed it into minerals for me, all free of charge.

Later on I fleeted with others quite a few times to run various Exploration sites, also various multi-room missions like Angel Extravaganza, etc.

Also back then careers were more specialized and players with those careers would often help each other out which in turn helped them with their career.

12 Likes

That may have been your experience, probably because you brought it upon yourself.

Other than that, my experience in-game was just the opposite…

Besides that, your character was created 08/17/2019 so post with your main. Until then you have no credibility of even proving you were in-game back then.

1 Like

You don’t even KNOW about how fleets and wardecs worked back then, do you?

If you are thinking of the Lofty trick, that was removed from the game before his time.

Which is part of my point, especially because he’s pulling the “young character” card.

1 Like

I’d say the game has become easier in regard to actual mechanics and more forgiving in
regard to interface, but players themselves have changed as well.

I think CCP has successfully distilled some specific desired behaviors out of the original player-base, but there were some unintended consequences.

That distilled player-base frequently doesn’t play well with others, and actively chases others from the game by their behaviors, and couldn’t care less in regard to the impact it has on the game’s overall health.

CCP basically did some scorched earth on its target market. Which was pretty dumb and shortsighted.

5 Likes

What they did was make EVE more carebear friendly. They removed a lot of danger from high sec, buffed mining a zillion times and introduced or buffed play styles that were already quite grindy. Because THAT is what the carebears whined for.

And what did that result in? LESS interaction, MORE solo/afk grinding.

4 Likes

After most of the original carebears left the game.

The old Pvp’ers may have since changed into carebears, but that is really just a matter of personal perceptions.

1 Like

I’ve been in this game for over 11 years, been in quite a few fleets and never worried about WarDec due to being in NPC Corp. In fact most of the players I fleeted with were also in NPC Corps.

As for getting attacked, sure there was a chance of that happening but due to Concord game mechanics in High Sec space, didn’t really worry about that either.

3 Likes

Play EVE as an alpha first.