What I think of Eve

When trying to explain Eve,
I often encounter nothing but incredulous disbelief.
Especially those from other games,
Who know something of virtual pain,
‘You should just stop. That game sounds like a job. That’s lame.’

But after work, ya know what you’re about
Just can’t wait to log on that WoW account.
Gonna run some dungeons, or maybe PVP till ya pass out?
Maybe run a BG…

No thanks. Been there, done that. Not for me.
I’m too busy writing fleet doctrines, protocols, and SOPs.
Engineering starships, working out complex and nuanced strategies.
Learning how to manage multi-cultural teams, under duress, on a clock.
Eve doesn’t stop. It’s beyond belief. Like some sort of spaceship Texas-Hold 'Em meets Chess in 4-D.

Eve space is a rough place,
Where no where is safe,
But it’s no mere ‘game’,
It’s not a time waste,
Yea, it’s digital misery & strife,
In other games you level up a character,
But in Eve you level up your life.

o7

19 Likes

Those Rhymes tho

Or is it a poem?
Either way i like it.

1 Like

Right on.

I always tell people “if you click with eve, it will spoil all other games for you”

3 Likes

This is very true. :relaxed:

1 Like

Some pilots when they aren’t working, like to play flight simulator.
Some truck drivers when they aren’t working, like to play truck simulator.
Some people who stare at spreadhseets all day, when they aren’t working, like to play spreadsheet simulator…in space.

2 Likes

This article might give an explanation why we play this “game”.
EVE can be work yes. But work can be satisfying, even fulfilling.

3 Likes

Good thread but needs more ‘‘EVE is dying’’ or something. This sort of positivity smacks in the face of what these forums stand for.

4 Likes

I’ve been in & out of Eve since 2004. I’ve been hearing the so-called death knell (if it can so be called) of Eve for that entire time. We heard it loudly over the alpha accounts. A lot of people seemed to interpret that as a sign of desperation, an attempt to pull back old players and interest a few new ones.

I can only speculate but it looked to me like they were just being competetive with other games & their free2play options. Also, even more importantly, new/old players don’t have to pay for their new accounts while their new characters are still basically skilless.
You start needing to pay right about the time that character actually becomes somewhat useful.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s good to mix things up a little bit lol. Positivity is good for ya :wink:

But I can say that I’ve played all kinds of MMOs from FF 11, WOW, Rift, SWTOR and none of them have sucked me in like Eve. It’s just an entirely different kind of entity full of people like me (in some weird way lol). My only wish is that CCP would push Eve out there more so that people who haven’t looked at it since the MMO boom in the late 2000’s might find their place here too <3

There’s a malady in the minds of many of my generation,
Who think life is a slide-by situation, centered on instant gratification,
And many a game will rise to provide without hesitation, things like fast-travel & instant action and access to all locations without any pesky waiting!

But wait, all play-styles are indulged equally via the creation and facilitation
of ‘safe spaces’! I used to think this was the proper way, and when I came back to Eve, thought it’d be more or less the same.
Holy crap, was I mistaken:

I thought I could sit in my citadel, and be the space king,
minding my business, doing my thing,
This is mighty High-Sec, no one’s gonna mess with me.
And why should they? Just lookin’ to mine rocks in peace,
…nah, no thanks. I don’t wanna PVP. I don’t consent.
Well, guess what?

PVP don’t give a f**k!
Square up and good luck,
I lost my Ass-House to a bunch of piratey Ducks.
…and my cool, too.
But even through the anger of a berserker
I knew deep down I deserved it…

I made a lot of mistakes,
I didn’t do my homework.
This is Eve-Space! Ignorance don’t work!
And after the fact I acted like a jerk.
Not cool, dude. Mind the words you choose.
You were bested today.
L2Lose w/ grace, GF & save face.
A bit of life wisdom that goes a long way.
…and thats another thing I learned in Eve-Space.

Fly Dangerous o7

3 Likes

Unusual rhyme scheme and meter. Could work as rap though.

1 Like

I only vaguely know what those things are. I just like it when things rhyme.

Nice style of writing about real things. So much was told in few phrases. Your pieces of poetry aren’t “What you think of EVE”, but what EVE is. Don’t take this post as rap battles, - it’s just a remix:

There’s a malady in the minds of many of my generation,
Who think life is a slide-by situation,
Centered on instant gratification,
And many a game will rise to provide without hesitation,
Things like fast-travel & instant passion,
Access to all locations without any pesky action!

But wait, all play-styles are indulged equally via the creation and facilitation…
Of ‘safe spaces’! I used to think this was the proper way,
And when I came back to Eve: “It was a good play?”
Holy crap, was I mistaken in game?
Be more or less the same.

I thought I could sit in my citadel, and be the space king,
Minding my business, doing my thing.
This is mighty High-Sec, no one’s gonna mess with me.
And why should they? Just lookin’ to mine rocks in peace.
Nah, no thanks. I don’t wanna PVP. I don’t consent.
Well, guess what percent?

PVP don’t give a f**k!
Square up and good luck with a buck.
I lost my Ass-House to a bunch of piratey Ducks,
And my cool too, like a Mikey Mouse.
Even after CONCORD plucked their feathers away,
I’m spelling the words in channels: “No way!”.
But even through the anger of a berserker,
I knew deep down I deserved it like a drug maker.

I made a lot of mistakes, I didn’t do my homework.
This is Eve-Space! Ignorance don’t work!
And after the fact I acted like a jerk.
Not cool, dude. Mind the words you choose for a perk.
You were bested today. WTF, no GF!?
L2Lose w/ grace, GF & save face.
A bit of life wisdom that goes a long way,
From your wreck place to a vat bay.

…and that’s another thing I learned in Eve-Space today.

I was actually working in my head how this could be a potential song or rap about Eve too. Glad that I wasn’t alone! :slight_smile:

Good job!

This. Exactly this.

I got sucked into Eve when I heard that tactical bookmarking and strategic spreadsheets were real things.

Lol. Love it.

I’ve had a few challenges out of game to cause me to leave for a while, but it’s the challenges i face in EVE that always bring me back. As long as Eve is a game that never gives you a cookie and forces you to take from in spite of everyone else, I will always have a place here.

I was working the other day in Sydney selling my wares at a tractor show talking to a couple other traders when lil old eagle eyes Wollongong Billy shuffles up.
As I manufacture I do some wholesale and he was on the hunt for stock. So he was straight into the containers placed under the tables and in one of the containers I had a few eve signs left over from EDU that were missed when sorting what to leave and what to take to a tractor/steam engine show hence not for sale positioning. Anyways as he flicked through the eve sign with a girl on it caught his and the other guys attention and of course asked if that was her name.

So now its time to explain an onion how your a shrimp in the ocean and the oceans your play ground but the thing that really sticks me is being told I am a gamer. A gamer I get this from family and friends and shits me to no end. My idea of a game is battelfield world warcraft warships etc.

Well the weekend finished I was packed up armed with block of chocolate bottle fanta a pack of smokes and a meager 12 hour drive home decided to work out why I hate telling people about what eve is.

So conclusion EVE is no longer a game it is the first in Interactive Television. No doubt a few of you are going pffft with the few seconds deep thought you gave the topic however let me explain.

Once upon a time some smart fella gets with some mates who have the money and they decide to make a sandbox game and EVE is born and yes it was made and motivated by the idea that EVE is a game and when it started it was nothing more than a good game.

But CCP with the way they designed the program left out fundamental game like fixed heroes NPC as the leaders of this and that they removed threaded story line etc they removed instancing so we are live with each other 24/7 and everything is player made and destroyed.

Because of these omissions it has aloud EVE to grow in ways no other program has and of course made you the player the important mover of a story line. So when we participate in eve we are really exploring the first ever true and entertaining interactive television. It is we who write the scripts we who act out the scripts not to mention the story line is fully controlled by us. We have the equivalent of movie stars and villains.

To further this there are now books on the history of EVE again they talk about you and your wars conquering of space the politics etc.

So from now on I will be telling my friends that EVE is the first program that is Interactive Television that has enough tools and infrastructure to meet any role a person aspires to be.

From a marketing as well as the way a program is viewed can have a different response to purpose and reason for trying EVE.

0/

3 Likes

Just going off the title of the article… I swear a ton while i play video games. I think it’s the fact that I’m a sweaty gamer that allows me to have such a satisfied feeling.

In seriousness, eve is a very unique and awesome game. Takes the right kind of person to play though, as it’s not for everyone.

Thank you for this, I have needed something to make me smile today o7