What is HAPPENING TO EVE?

WIll there be a title for the next big thing?

War on Concord?

That’s true many people have trouble figuring out what their place in Eve is, and with no clear goals or innovations on the horizon, CCP is having similar issues figuring this game out.

1 Like

They should try Farmville, the tired working man’s game.

4 Likes

EvE Online: The Retirement Home

2 Likes

/me smacks lips

I hope we’re having liver and onions today. Did you hear Gladys passed away? Right in her sleep, what a shame. Where’s that damn kid with my socks? Tell him to lift up the shade too, we can’t see the ducks again.

Let’s do another load of ore after the MASH rerun.

4 Likes

Nah…when I want to chill I put on Flight Simulator, announce ‘Welcome to D.B. Cooper airways’ ( look him up ), and set a course for Area 51, whilst playing Ride Of The Valkyries in the background.

1 Like

You spend far too much of your posting time finding ever more sarcastic ways to mock other players, IMO, but this attempt at an actual point was worth picking up on.

The problem is that the “core game mechanics” are clearly not one of EVE’s main selling points - because they haven’t changed much, and EVE keeps bleeding and losing players.

Of course you and some others will make a big deal about how “the new generation” of gamers are all lazy twitch-addicted instant gratification mobile junkies, but the fact is EVE is only 19 years old.

Virtually every gamer who ever so much as glanced at EVE is still out there gaming. They’ve just found that the “core game mechanics” of EVE are not a selling point, but a breaking point.

To answer the OP, “what is happening to EVE” is that a tired dev team that lost or laid off most of it’s talent and is traumatized by an unending stream of failures and bad design decisions that consistently blow up in their faces simply isn’t capable of taking EVE anywhere it needs to go.

EVE needs some bold directions made by people who understand the evolving gaming market and can implement them without, for instance, taking two years to get the “chat” function working properly. EVE isn’t going to get that, because it’s run by some insular ego-trippers surrounded by yes-men living in denial of reality - who believe the cause of most of EVE’s problems can be laid at the feet of the player base.

“What is happening to EVE” is a decline to irrelevance due to a lack of leadership who’s more concerned with milking it’s shrinking player base for max dollars than it is about providing for the next two decades of EVE. CCP thinks they can sell the players anything so long as they spin the wording on their dev blogs right.

EVE won’t be replaced by a ‘better EVE’ - if it gets put out to pasture in an asset sale, it’s unlikely a new owner will do anything except run the servers and periodically offer desperation sales.

The best next step would be for PA to step in and force a shakeup in the design team and direction, but sadly as a developer PA is also guilty of most of the things wrong with CCP.

It becomes increasingly hard to see where the happy ending is going to come from for EVE but some of us still hope that the game can actually be improved enough to make it interesting again to a wider population. Crazier things have happened.

19 Likes

When the game launched it was hardcore and it grew, later on they’ve been “shaking up the dev team” quite a few times and pretty much every time it moved away further from hardcore pvp mmo. And this is where we are now.

1 Like

Simplistic and ridiculous, as too many of your posts have become. It grew because it was new, it had virtually zero competition in the ‘space MMO’ market, and it was making news.

It grew because it had a lot of new players who hadn’t yet learned how it all plays out, who had hopes that anything wrong with it would ‘get fixed’, and who believed that the money they sent in would be used to take EVE in better directions.

It grew because CCP hadn’t yet sold out and turned Null sec into Farmville, thrown away millions of dollars on failed projects and tried to turn things around with ridiculous marketing initiatives.

“Where we are now” is you can still gank in high sec, you can still hunt miners, you can still FW and low-sec gang fight, you can still have major wars in Null, all the “core selling points” are still there if slightly altered… but players have seen how CCP and EVE really work and have just given up hope that CCP will ever fix the glaring flaws. Game’s just as “hardcore” now as it was then, and even more ruthless to new players because they’re competing directly against decade-old vets.

And mass layoffs and creative people leaving isn’t “shaking up the dev team”, that’s just brain drain because the game is still run by Hilmar and whatever clique strokes management ego the best.

7 Likes

This is farmville except CCP are the ones doing the farming.

5 Likes

EVE launched in 2003, it went carebear after Incarnage. Till that time it grew, then we had a short burst of carebears because of those changes and then it went down from then on. It’s not something “from the last 2 years” as the whine clowns want to tell us. It started to happen right when CCP tried to go mainstream.

If you think things haven’t changed in regard to ganking, hunting etc you clearly have no idea about how it was and how it is.

3 Likes

what happened is plex made alts more valuable than new players .
many blame PA for changes , but the game is run by CCP .
problem is , the price being paid for CCP is partly based on eve’s financial performance so there’s more incentive to monetize …

3 Likes

Sorry but no. Not only is your timeline wrong but it doesn’t even clue into why any of that happened.

EVE grew rapidly for a time because every major new MMO was growing rapidly at that time. With two completely different player bases EVEs’ growth cycle looks much like WoW:

To be more specific to EVE, EVE grew at it’s fastest rate to first peak right after Incursion expansion, which introduced a new PVE activity. EVE fell rapidly after Incarna, which was a “player visuals” release (not a ‘carebear’ change) because of disappointment after the pre-Incarna WiS hype and the ridiculous marketing attempts of Summer of Rage. But also because it was a wasted release with no new “spaceships & economy” gameplay.

EVE languished for a while with some sub-standard releases that were really little more than tweaks, then the next big growth peak came right after Retribution at the end of 2012. This was a combined PvP/PvE release that the pathetic wannabe 'PvP’ers cried about (because Crimewatch) but it actually led to EVE’s best year ever (for player pop and activity).

I’m quite clear on “how it was back then”, I was there for it. Can you give me an example of the “hard core” gameplay that existed in 2009-2010 that’s impossible today? Things have ‘changed’ yes but only on the surface really, all the same mechanics and activities are still there.

10 Likes

Plex were introduced in 2008 or so, before that we had GTC. So being able to fund your account with ingame money has been around since pretty much forever, the only real change was plex becoming more granular due to the removal of Aurum so it could be used for more stuff.

1 Like

Around that time lots of big and small, very convenient, changes started to happen to make EVE more palatable, easier. Lowering the skill ceiling. On all levels and for all carebear play styles. Industry slot changes, invention, cool starter mining ships that are OP as hell, scanning was made easier and easier, all kinds of really cool null options that made it safer for the locals, more grind options. Guristas ships being introduced and made ■■■■■■■■, character creation choices made redundant, standing requirements removed for stuff. Etc etc etc.

Some of those changes were good in general, most of them were to cater to lazy carebears.

• can flipping is pretty much annihilated due to suspect changes and the introduction of the Orca meaning miners were no longer forced to drop their ore into cans (very convenient that)

• wardec changes made it nigh impossible for small time/solo wardeccers to do their thing, together with the changes to the buddy online alert system. Again, very convenient that.

• I’m not even going to list the changes over time to ganking, there’s tons.

Also

isn’t

3 Likes

So it’s funny, but whenever I ask that question about “missing hardcore”, the answer 80% of the time is “can flipping” and “wardecs”.

You know what those things share in common? They’re very safe activities that pathetic wannabe so-called 'PvP’ers can use to safely attack weak targets in high sec with no consequences to themselves.

Yep, “I need to be able to attack miners and weak corps with my combat ships in high sec, with no consequences to me, because that is so hardcore man! HARD. CORE.

And that’s why that crowd cried so hard about Crimewatch. And I mentioned '09/'10 because you said it “grew until then, then carebears killed it”. So that was simply the latest round of ‘growth’ expansions.

The changes over time to ganking? Well lets see, they made destroyers better, they made blasters better, they made ammo better, they made the economy/ships get cheaper compared to what you can earn, and what’s the latest ones? Oh yes, they made ECM and Warp stabs completely useless because the lame pathetic so-called 'PvP’ers in high sec can’t stand it when they have to put out some effort to get a kill.

And it’s kinda hilarious that you’re trying to paint quality-of-life changes and more options as “carebear stuff that killed the game” when EVE was famous for it’s awkward, clunky interface and crappy design.

At any rate, it’s clear where you’re coming from - “EVE players are bad for the game”. You should apply to CCP, you’ve got a lot in common.

16 Likes

Yes, there are several examples.

We used to need high faction standings in order to place a player-owned station in high sec. Now everyone and their dog can place a Citadel wherever they want with no standings whatsoever.

We used to be able to indefinitely bump freighters, setting them up for a gank. Now they have a 3-minute timer where you automatically warp out after 3 minutes, even if you are still being bumped.

We used to be able to wardec anyone for any reason or no reason at all. Now the corp that you are wardeccing has to have a structure.

They got rid of Crime Watch, which allowed us to track and see if a certain person, such as a war target, was online, and know exactly when they got online or logged off.

High sec, and the game in general, have only gotten easier over the years.

5 Likes

I listed those to show the underhand convenient changes that team Five Clowns (with Greyscale et al) made happen. It’s like a bill that has all kinds of nefarious and unrelated things added to it, to try and pass it through congress. Beyond that I guess I could repeat all the other stuff I listed in that same post but that would be a bit redundant wouldn’t it.

So in that time frame concord never got buffed, you say. Convenient revisionist history.

Besides:

No miner would ever use that, if only because that would mean they’d not be afk.

As said, some were genuinely good. MOST were to cater to the lazies and the low efforts.

2 Likes

You say that but I remember when I first played eve in 2007 on my first char and in our first week we where wardecked and they came with 3 command ship’s and we had something like 30 kestrels xD managed to kill one of the 3 before getting wiped so for that 1 guy I would say it felt pretty hardcore to him even thou its only highsec.

4 Likes

That wasn’t “hard core”, that was just terrible game design.

A single player should not be able to undertake an action against another single player that there is no counter against.

9 Likes