What is the point of the Higgs Rig?

It seems to make everything worse for your ship…so why use it?

It reduces the time from 0 to 3/4 (ready to warp). But mostly usefull for slow big boats.

1 Like

It’s a rig designed mostly for mining ships. Slowing down your maximum velocity allows you to spend more time in range of asteroids while moving at 3/4 of max speed and ready to enter warp.

The mass increase also makes it useful to collapse wormholes.

Finally, having +100% mass but -55% inertia modifier overall reduces the time it takes you to go from 0 to 3/4 max velocity, if you are trying to accelerate into warp to escape hostiles.

6 Likes

The basic idea for the Higgs anchor is to let a ship mine while aligned to a safe spot. That way, if threatened, it can instantly warp to safety. With a Mackinaw, for example, the Higgs reduces speed by to 22.5 M/S.

3 Likes

Aside from anchoring mining ships, it also has a use in wormholes. If you live in a wormhole you sometimes get wormhole connections to places you do not want. For example, you want to rat but you’re connected to a pvp group. Or you want to roll your static connection for a good hauling connection. (A static is a WH that will respawn and connect to a different place after you collapse it.)

A wormhole collapsed after a certain amount of mass is put through (the mass limit is known up to 10% uncertainty.) So you can close wormholes by moving battleships back and forth through it. Since a higgs rig doubles the mass, it halves the amount of BS passes you need.

2 uses mine while aligned and increases mass on ship which helps with colapsing wormholes

What Erethond said, plus …
… it’s great for sniping with 1400s.

When you get out of warp you’ll be much slower, and much faster at a full stop, meaning better tracking.

1 Like

I’ve read about being bumped is harder if your ship is heavier, so you have even better chances to reach the necessary alignment to warp away from calamities.
But for I never was bumped yet, it needs a try :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.