What ship to harvest dangerous gas clouds with?

I read that some gas clouds have a chance of dealing anywhere from 800-3000 damage to you periodically as you harvest.

This makes the venture/prospect pretty much impossible choices. So what do people do when they mine gas nebula? Bring Battleships equipped with gas harvesters?

Expedition frigates are good for that if you have isk to spend in case you got blow up. But if short , the old and trusty venture works nice

Prospect is specifically designed for that job
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Prospect

Hum, if the damage are in the range of 800-3000 then the venture probably cannot tank. So is it really Worth it?

Nah y must have an alt to clear the site, specially if wh, or y can clear, save location, then back with venture, but in 20 min the rats will be back

Hadria says that some damage comes from the gas cloud itself…

so cleaning the rats won’t solve that problem. Anyway, I’ve seen a video on YouTube with a guy mining in venture. Have to find some time to Watch it carrefully.

I mined some gas before and didn’t noticed any damage, but maybe I was just distracted

Gnosis is the most popular choice because of big cargo space, good tank and enough turret slots to use five Gas Cloud Harvesters.

1 Like

Where did you experience that?

I used to mine gas in w-space just fine in a Venture and later the Prospect, the only ship in EVE which can gas mine in class 5 and 6 wormholes while under fire.

I used to mine gas in w-space just fine in a Venture and later the Prospect, the only ship in EVE which can gas mine in class 5 and 6 wormholes while under fire.

W-space gas clouds don’t deal damage. K-space gas clouds do have a random chance of dealing 1000-2000 damage at the end of every harvester cycle (amount and damage type depends on a cloud and site it’s in). (IIRC if you activate both harvesters on the same tick, you can’t get damaged by both at the same time, so that helps too)

It’s absolutely possible to tank them in a Venture, if you fit it with resistance and passive recharge rigs and modules, and some extenders. And have good shield skills.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try out the prospect as suggested, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll try the gnosis :).

In response to those unfamiliar with damaging gas clouds, I am referring not to wormhole gas sites, but known-space gas nebula that are specific to certain regions.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Gas_cloud_harvesting#Nebulae

Ah, I didn’t know that. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.