What's going on with Wine?

Update … seems to be related to audio processes … only confirmed way to reproduce is through opeining the settings menu and clicking on audio settings …
bug report filed

did this ever get fixed for you … it has just started happening for me and is killing the game for me

What I still find surprising is that the client is still running in a WINE wrapper.

Will we ever see a native release?

Probably not as they would have to redo the whole graphics side of the game.

I’ve wondered on occasion if the client is basically crashing due to ram use as a 32bit client. It’s not obviously apparent that’s the case though.

The crashes aren’t distinctly reproducible which I think makes it more difficult to nail down. I’ve filed a bug report with several loglite w/e crash logs. Sadly it’s not apparent that anyone has looked at it yet though.

The other night it crashed when blob cyno’d onto grid, so that was a new one and wouldn’t think it would be related to session change like so many of the crashes.

If you actually have memory full issue, you should have someone who can debug on OSX?

These issue don’t exist on Linux and it’s also Wine and the same EVE client. It mignt be a memory leak or something like that.

Not sure if I should lose hope for the Mac Client.

I hope not, I really don’t want to get a windows machine.

2 Likes

I had numerous client crashes entering/leaving stations, etc.

Turning off “Dynamic Camera Movement” in video settings fixed 99% of my crashes.

Something in that code doesn’t like wine.

Has anyone else been having a FPS drop of late? Going from say 45-60 with two clients to 5-10.
I have been using the latest dev build.

thos got to be the worst thing ever. I seen game in alpha that did not crash this much. and crashing is 1 thing. gettign kernel-panic on average 10 times a week is serriously BAD. Most the time yes near or in a citadel, or just cliking on some option/button. this si a serious pain and I am thinking of quiting the game.

I the game seams more stable on I macs, well at least the imac I have at work that is a 2011 model.
Home i am on a mac pro the 2013 ones. lots of video glitch, not being able to see kill marks on any one ship no mater whos ship it is. this while trying every possible settings. My feel is that the video driver fro whine are really really bad.

I can only speak of SiSi and the keepstar spam is causing severe performance issues.

This is easy to spot. Sometimes my one client requires more than 4GB of RAM and I smell a memory leak somewhere. But as a 32bit client, EVE cannot handle more than 3.5GB, then it crashes due to boundary issues related to 32bit addresses.

On windo$e, they forcefully destroy hard drives to “trick” a program using more than 3.5GB of RAM, which is dumping ludacris amounts of write and read cycles on the drive.

But for any PC the older 32bit models put all PCI addresses at 3.51GB and higher, so they could address 512 32bit addresses for the PCI-BUS.

Whenever a program wanted to use those memory addresses, they would fry your hardrrive(s) on windo$$e or get a kernel panic because the PCI addresses are reserved.

In todays firmwares, that is not an issue anymore but still all 32bit programs have this limit.

Oh and I am running wineHQ-stable.

1 Like

I’m not on SISI and this stuff is happening. I used to never have issues - and then - the last half of this year, nothing but issues.

and I haven’t seen a EVE Mac dev post in what feels like forever.

Bump to keep this topic relevant.

So it’s been six months since the last dev post. Any chance of getting some kind of update from anyone @ CCP?