Whats the point of skins, if

You could just search for the name of the hull and should get all skins availabe at the time for it.
Or am I completly mistaken?

‘Available’ is the key word here which is the problem. All skins are actually available, it’s just that CCP doesn’t want them to be available.

For example, during the S.P.A.C.E. event, the final reward for completing the event points spread was the SoCT Shuttle and Destroyer ships along with Verses RedForce and Verses BlueForce skins for them. At the same time, CCP had the Verses RedForce and Verses BlueForce Gnosis Ship Skins only available in the NES for one week.

Some players missed the chance to get those Gnosis skins to complete their collection. I was one of those players and after checking various Market sites, I could only find one single Gnosis Verses BlueForce ship skin available at an extremely high price.

A short while later came Eve’s 15th Birthday Celebration which awarded players with SoCT Shuttle, Destroyer and Cruiser along with the addition of the new SoCT Battleship Praxis. Yeah they all included XV ship skins and Pod skin as well, however CCP could have also easily reissued the Red and BlueForce skins in the NES to make more money but as usual, they didn’t do it and missed another golden opportunity to make more money while allowing players another chance to get those skins.

2 Likes

I too ask myself that question often.

Skins being seemingly main moneymaking product after PLEX sales get surprisingly little dev attention. I mean there is Art Team obviously who make SKINs and NES manager guy which CCP_Dragon once referred, but the guy obviously only manages pricing etc. But UI in both NES and collection tab in character sheet are pretty uninformative and inconvenient to say the least.

3 Likes

But its not. You just said you can buy them from the market.

The market is player driven, which means that players determine the price of a skin. If a player wanted to sell a skin for 10 isk, he could do it. You make it seem as though CCP is the one putting the price down, and that players are somehow forced to follow it.

If you have qualms about it, go out and find the player who is selling the skin, and gank and camp him into the station until he is forced to sell you the skin at a lower cost. Otherwise, you can purchase that billion isk skin, resell it for 10 billion isk, and if someone is stupid enough to buy it, youve just made a 9 billion profit. Because, you know, youre the seller, so you set the price.

I strongly suggest doing so, plus rubbing under certain people’s noses.

: - )

This

no sense

In the end, it helps streamers to perform more colorful streams and ‘fashionable players’ to differ. The less players will look like them the better and more expensive are the SKINs.

Here’s is a fashionable fu-king Riddick

images8GXSPFW2

3 Likes

Why can I not stop looking at this??? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Ah, yeah. I randomly Googled it in a hurry and was lucky to find it… You can do the same to find much more similar fashion

query: “crazy fashion people” :laughing: > Images Tab

2 Likes

Because you are shocked about how completely ■■■■■■ up people and society in the west have become.

1 Like

Vomiting your prejudices against ‘the West’ and ‘US Americans’ are tired old clichés at this point. It’s a strong indication that you are simply lazily stewing in your old pet peeves rather than looking around the world.

You should probably check out the scene in Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and many other ‘modern’ parts of the East if you think Americans have some sort of lock on individualism or whack fashion. And as for teh dumbs, you’ve cleverly illustrated that can pop up anywhere. :smile:

4 Likes

The “world” has nothing to do with US Americans, as people, being ■■■■■■. Prejudices require a lack of data I am not struggling with talking about and pointing out … ever.

How much time did you actually spend with this topic in the last five to ten years? Researching it, watching it getting worse over the decades? What actually substantial things do you have to say about this topic, besides “HURR DURR UR WRONG AND DUMB” ?

One of my best friends is US American, btw.

Pah.

1 Like

Good observation and !00% spot on.

:+1:

Not sure where that rant came from. Individual looks is a gaming wide trend and is from several nations. Some gamers from many countries like to look different for whatever reasons. In many other games this is the reason for strong modding communities. Fallout series and Elder Scrolls (SP) come to mind. Where I have been on a long break. Skyrim in particular was heavily modded. 1000+ hours of gameplay, time to spice up the looks really.

Eve is not helping here as I see after a very long break of many years…all aspects of the game are basically the same. I need a PVE ship. The top recommended ships are exactly the same ones from 3 years ago. makes my trial come back easy. Nothing has changed in 3 years, I have the designated money makers already.

Check out PVP comps…ssdd by and large. Cap pilots unless truly dedicated to trying it all…stay to 1 cap race. If they chose Minmatar…then its nid and nag for life. Players are using the same ships for 3 years I will not fault them for wanting to change at least the appearance of them.

CCP could fix this ofc. But making new ships to spice up the variety in the game is a “fun” process for them. balance says hi. I understand why CCP does not make new ships on a regular basis. every-time they do, its months to years of headaches and whining. So as I saw the new ships list I was not surprised to see one offs here and there and not grand sweeping new ship lines.

Skins the easier option for them really. Your ships can now have a new look. No rebalance, not cries of op. Either you like the skin or you don’t. And no imba arises from it.

Issue in in games like CS go and eve…this is server controlled ergo the company who makes the game controls release of the content. So they cost money. Case of eve the decision to buy is always personal. If they think a plex buy with RL money is worth it and makes them happy its all good there. its their game, their time and their dime.

Others who are masters of the isk making…just fork over isk. Its eve money, they can’t take it with them when they die lol. Nor does another game care how much isk they have if they leave it. Oh, you have 10 billion isk? Here is your special start to our game, we bow down to your isk mastery lol. This does not happen.

I never got the money hate in this game. Like the monocle mentioned above. Some players have the resources to buy it and not miss the funds. Good for them really all to say there.

2 Likes

It’s not a rant, and the reasons are important. When you ignore them, calling them “whatever”, you show that you are not qualified to actually talk about this.

Yeah, no, go away.

Any and all arguments against skins could be applied to video games too, just swap out the term “skins” with the phrase “video games”. Both have entertainment value and both bring in money to CCP - which in turn keeps the game running so I don’t understand the hostility towards anyone supporting the game through the purchase of a skin that enables the game to continue.

3 Likes

Hostility? Where? I am not hostile, I am brutally honest. Something that is seriously missing in a world where people believe that words from strangers on the internet can hurt them, and where people call everyone who disagrees with them a troll.

vOv

3 Likes

@Iryhor - you make a good point.

The marked aversion to skins and anything cosmetic or not deemed to be of the core spaceship-flying game that EvE is stems from a psychological position taken in reaction to CCP massively damaging EvE with it’s horribly-flawed implementations of cosmetic purchases and Walking-in-stations (WiS). Google “eve summer of rage” to see a bit about it.

1 Like

Practice what you preach.

Seriously.

And by the way, that Psychological Analysis crap has no place here.

Well the show us your qualifications. Show us all skin sales are US Based. You need to play other games, for real. Games with mods. Games where people play for…wait for it…fun.

People like cosmetics. They can be fun. In single player games that allow them, these are the most common used ones. They can even outrank cheat mods.

Get bored swing by the mod website nexus. Even 5 minute of searching will show lots out there. People like to change up their games (as you may notice they have lots of games there). Enough numbers are out there many mod are written for non-English speakers. This is not because US players to be different are installing say German clients to be really different.

Companies see this. And go oh there is a market for this.

Here enters paid mods. Which is what these skins are to me. Skin/retexture paid mod jobs. CCP was/is looking to make new income. This is going to happen when you have a game that offers game money to plex to free game time play. Enough play the game for free, they need to make money elsewhere. CCP is at least reasonable in this. Unlike others where you pay for the game, pay for the sub AND then they sell other stuff as extra.

Some like them, some don’t. Here is the cool thing about that…if not your thing don’t buy them. YOU can smash their evil money making scheme by…not buying them.

And move on as player x running skins does nothing to your game. I’d give your concerns some credence if they actually affected the game. They don’t. If I buy and slap on skin X…I get no benefit besides liking what I am looking at really.

Day comes skins do something like reduce sig radius by 10%, rant away really. As yeah since my in game isk means little to me (like said no one outside of eve cares about my game wallet, I will buy od ball stuff jsut for fun) or I have a real job so yeah I could throw down $20 for that skin. So when skins enter p2w…permission to whine granted lol.

1 Like

I did not dial “zero”, so why do you talk to me?

@Hidden_Markov

Yes, people buy skins. I did not mean to say that ALL skins are sold to US people, but I have zero doubt that most are. As long as you ignore why people buy certain stuff, and mistake the reasons for “because they want them”, we can not actually move on with this.

Not that there really is a point anyway.

vOv