When does a ship become a "Loot Pinata" target in High Sec?

This is another fine example of a loot pinata. The story that goes with it also proves that you can’t fix stupid.

3 Likes

^ Blimey Jonah Gravenstein …that’s freaking nuts in 0.9 before Concord killed em. They must have really decided he had to die…Gordon Bennett! lol

Understood…haha

1 Like

When your cargo and/or modules have an expected drop value greater than the ship(s) necessary than to kill your ship. Modules and cargo items each have a 0.5 probability of dropping. So if you have 4 modules each worth 500 million the probability that one drops is about 0.94. If it costs 50 million to gank your ship then it is a loot piñata.

Note that cargo items in one “stack” (repackaed items) count as a single item. Cargo in a can is counted as a single item too. So you can reduce your likelihood of being ganked by stacking items and/or putting the cargo in a can(s), but only at the margin.

The determination of being gankable also depends on your ships ehp (effective hit points), basically your tank. The more tank the harder to gank the more value you can have on or in your ship.

Of course there are special cases. A transport ship wich aligns quickly, warps quickly and can fit a covert ops cloaking device is very hard to catch and is a great way to move high value low volume cargo. The jump freighter with its jump drive can undock and jump who knows where an is a good way to move massive cargo value.

2 Likes

With a potential loot drop like that hell yes he needed to die. It was an expensive lesson for the pilot as he’d bought plex IRL and sold it in game to buy all of the shinies that he fitted.

If you want a giggle I suggest that you read the story that goes with the killmail.

4 Likes

Also look at CONCORD response times. I believe EVE University’s website will tell you how quick they respond given the security rating of the system. Ganking is like a race: can the gankers apply enough DPS to overcome the targets EHP before CONCORD arrives. Gankers typically have this down to a fine art, so once they engage the are fairly confident they will win the race.

1 Like

Tippia covered it too, and I think that she went a bit deeper in exploring manipulating the response times whilst remaining within the rules and the sequence of events that occurs after Concord drop the doughnuts.

http://blog.beyondreality.se/TTK-CONCORD

3 Likes

Yes. That is a handy reference too. Pulling CONCORD in a system actually increases their response time if I recall correctly. So when I do my freighter gankability calculus for my freighter I assume CONCORD has been pulled. I believe the response time in a 0.5 system is 25 seconds.

My view is that a gank starts once a pilot puts too much bling or cargo value on or in his ship.

2 Likes

Teckos Pech…nice posts, cheers…enjoyed reading them.

o7

2 Likes

Likewise, in my experience Lady Luck and the Loot Fairy love people who make terrible decisions like that.

1 Like

“Piñatas are commonly associated with Mexico. The idea of breaking a container filled with treats”

Those treats being cargo, expensive fits, or even a capsule if they know you have special implants (so never brag), or even just the ship itself as it is a trophy for people to place on their mantle.

In this game if you want to avoid troubles just use t-2 mods, the gains you get from expensive fits/mods often do not justify the costs (at least for me), I mine, I still use civilian mining lasers, or free dropped stuff , t-1 mods work, little less blingy and less effective but they get the job done, people are just spoiled by bling, same as in real life, also when mining just use a cheap or blank clone, this way when you get ganked it does nothing, and continue on.

Can I ask a speculative question, please? It seems he was a fairly new player and just paid out real money for ISK, bought his blingy mods and then sailed off into space. However, do you think it would be so easy for the gankers if he had skilled his core skills and done the same? What I mean is…woulds that have happened to a player that had like…say…50 million SP and had his core skills squared away?

Also. as an aside, which one is better, rapid heavies or cruise missiles considering with the right skills you can get over 70 km with faction heavies with skills and boosters? Have looked into it a little but the info might be old as often seems to be when you Google stuff about Eve

Thanks.

1 Like

Skills don’t matter in the long run as they’ll bring up and over what it would take to kill you. Will they help? Sure, but it’s very unlikely to save you. This is a mistake a lot of people make in their heads when just starting, they put too much emphasis on the importance of skills. Skills are there most for variety and easier fitting, the power gains can mount up, but still aren’t exactly huge when you look at 4->5 which is where the bulk of the training time is but for the same per-level boost.

As far as weapon system, that’s dependent entirely upon what you’re trying to do. If you’re going against smaller ships you’ll see better application out of RHL, if you’re doing pve with a lot of BB or things fairly far away then you’ll wan’t cruise.

What you should be taking away from this is don’t over-bling your ships, especially in HS. And most importantly, don’t fly what you can’t afford to replace.

As I stated, there is a reason to go cheap, I can have 100’s of t-1 mods, dozens of t-2 mods, but special items I won’t bother with, too many Caldari custom inspectors (self appointed crazies), that scan every passing ship to see who has what.

Part of playing EvE is learning the meta rules.
No amount of SP would have stopped that pinata from being popped.

That amount of potential ISK is just too much of an incentive.

–Gadget only wears purple in WoW
(though, orange is looking nice too.)

1 Like

Cute role play…

1 Like

General rule of thumb, “when we’ll probably make more than we will lose” or “when we feel like having a laugh” (which could be lulz for the fun of it, or for the killmail) are the two criteria for HS ganking.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about a command ship. They’re tanky as ■■■■. A widow… yea I’d worry about that simply because they aren’t tanky, and they’re quite expensive. If you’ve blinged it (it’s a widow, of course you have) the modules are probably worth the gank.

Then again, you don’t need to gate a widow. After undocking from your market hub, your first action should be to jump it out into LS and take it out to your staging system (why else would you have a widow if not to drop on people or bridge others?)

1 Like

If im flying a tanked t1 industrial in highsec, if im going in and out tradehubs I usually dont haul more than 150 mil. If im not in tradehubs then I will bump this up to ~220 mil or so.

Take it from me, tank your ■■■■, I didnt check my fitting and thought my Tayra was tanked, the Vexor said otherwise .-. https://zkillboard.com/kill/50714277/

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty inevitable when you decide to become the best isk/hr in space.

2 Likes

Okay… but I was replying to the dude directly above me, not you. I read what you said, and there is a reason to use some bling, fitting is a good example of when it’s okay as long as you don’t go crazy, Gankers aren’t going to target people because they see them using a Dread Guristas EM Ward Field or a Caldari Navy Co-Proc. You use a Pith A-type Adaptive and/or Ore Strip Miners on your mining barge and you’re going to get ganked. They see purple, you’re dead - and rightfully so.

Gimping yourself in hopes of avoiding a gank isn’t the way to go. Just use your head and use what’s needed to complete the job.

1 Like

Point taken, yes cheap deadspace mods are kool, my point was just do it as cheap as possible this makes it less likely to be ganked, but again not always, but doing it cheap also means easy replacement and flying bling is for myself too bothersome to care for it, insurance covers most loss when your a cheapo like me.