Why are forum likes restricted?

@CCP_Dopamine @CCP_Aurora @CCP_Fleebix

I guess there aren’t a lot of people annoyed by this, but I don’t understand why likes were restricted in the first place. Supposedly you can get more likes by increasing your status, but I’m kind of in the dark on how to do that. I mean, I did briefly have veteran status, but am unsure as to why I lost it. Don’t know if it was because I hid a bunch of categories (i.e. market/trades, recruitment, role playing), picked up a few community flags (I… mostly… behave myself), or what. But I’m annoyed with the like limiting.

I don’t just give likes to the people who hold opinions similar to my own, but also to people who I think make good counterpoints. And, sometimes, there can be a lot of players making a lot of good points.

So:

• Why were likes limited in the first place?
  • Has it achieved those goals?
  • If it hasn’t achieved it’s goals, can it be turned off?
  • Alternatively, can it be made easier to raise one’s like limit?

5 Likes

I offer you mine if they will allow it.

I only turn it on for subjects like this anyway so why not?

I am also curious and had tried to discreetly find out more on the topic but to no avail.

There are people with more knowledge and who are more helpful in the forums than myself who lost their tag but yet, I still have mine. Hardly seems fair. Not that I’m asking to have mine removed if for no other reason than to remove it btw! :laughing:

2 Likes

Discourse (the software behind this forum) has a rate limiting setup in place for likes (presumably to help with server load - don’t want the forums DDOS’d because the like button was hammered):

What about users abusing Likes?
We have customizable rate limiting in place for new users to avoid spamming. If it helps, we have not seen significant like abuse in the wild, at least in the many Discourse forums we host or help maintain.

It seems the amount of likes a user can give is directly influenced by their trust level, more here:

2 Likes

Your name made me giggle.

3 Likes

And your never going to get a dev response in this thd, sry. I’m sure they get pinged all the time for different stuff…

Also, if even one of them had the sense of humor to just even say “Boo” in this thd, it would prove Mr Epeen wrong that the Dev’s don’t read the forums. :smirk:

Ain’t gonna happen! :rofl:

2 Likes

The limit was implemented when they turned on trust levels, as the two go hand in hand. No trust levels = no limit on likes. For some reason CCP decided to experiment with the trust level thing, even though all it does it show if people are good at not getting flagged since all the other features tied to trust levels are turned off.

2 Likes

So that’s it? I’m not a big enough Dick to lose my tag? I don’t get flagged enough???

I’m almost speechless. What about all the likes? Seems to me that those should far overcome the flagging fail syndrome. What an insult. I just don’t get it…

3 Likes

You and me both, man.

Likes do play a role, but only to a point; everyone I have seen ‘lose’ the veteran trust level is certainly receiving plenty of likes on their content, so it doesn’t seem to be particularly well calibrated for likes vs flags.

1 Like

… as my Veteran status weirdly vanishes. o.O

2 Likes

I lost mine shortly after the incident of changing topic titles oO, but somehow over time, before Archer’s departure, I got it back…

1 Like

And this is why I will turn mine off again tomorrow.

It just not make any sense.

1 Like

Maybe it doesn’t like that I spent a week embroiled in a work project and wasn’t reading daily.

2 Likes

if you look through the people that have it, 346 to be exact, about 320 of them, are all CCP/ISD and just a handful are non CCP/ISD

2 Likes

Related to that: When will we be able to edit our flagged and hidden posts in slow mode topics? The forum bot that send me the flagged and hidden message keeps telling me that I can edit my post but the forum keeps telling that I cannot because slow mode. CCP/ISD/GM also don’t respond (and/or don’t see in the first place?) replies to bot messages of that sort. As it stands, it is ridiculously easy to hide someone’s post in specific CCP topics and that person cannot unhide them ever.

2 Likes

This.

At higher trust levels you can give out more likes. Getting and giving likes is part of gaining higher trust levels.

1 Like

Now if only we knew which trust level we are on. Wouldn’t that be nice? Because I certainly don’t know where to find that information as it is not in the Settings or Badges or Summary.

1 Like

I agree it’s not really clear where to find the information.

From the link above I can see that:
Trust level 0 is for new posters on the forum with many restrictions to avoid spam.
Trust level 1 is ‘basic’, which is the most common trust level I think on the forums. We both have the ‘basic’ badge to show that we’re at least at that level.
Trust level 2 - I’m not sure if that’s a thing on this forum. No badge, no other indication.
Trust level 3 is ‘veteran’, which is for people who spend way too much time on this forum posting, reading, liking and getting liked. If you skip some of those things for a while you can lose this trust level.

So I don’t know if there’s a way to see if trust level 2 is a thing on these forums, but anyone with the ‘Veteran’ title enabled or with the Veteran badge is trust level 3 on the forums. And anyone with the ‘Basic’ badge is at least trust level 1.

I have the veteran badge (and the equivalent ‘Regular’ title from when Veteran was named ‘Regular’ for a while during trust level experimentation on the forums, never bothered to change it and now I like the unique title :stuck_out_tongue: ) which means I’m at trust level 3 and spending too much time on these forums.

2 Likes

Its on mine where the info is like join date etc.

1 Like

I see, hidden under the Expand button. Looks like I am back to basic user after I had been veteran. So just 5 flagged posts get you back down to the basic level. Interesting to know.

2 Likes

This can’t be right? I’ve had far more then 5 flags since everyone lost their tags. It seemed like a mass event but I don’t remember which mega thd it was.

1 Like