Why Are These METAforums So Dead?

Not the version CCP uses. With all the custom integration work to tie their forums to TQ, they likely made it impossible to upgrade from one major version to another.

I’m only repeating what the devs told us.

To me, that sounds like an excuse more than anything else. All software go through major changes at one point. I have yet to see an exception to that.
It sounds more like they wanted an excuse for the new forum.

Well, no pointing in arguing, I suppose. They already made the decision. I don’t dislike this new forum. I just don’t see big reasons for the move.

1 Like

1 Like

Asuna is my waifu!!1 #blacklivesmatterGO_VEGAN

2 Likes

with all thses images one need unsub of the thread. See muted option

Done

2 Likes

I was just thinking that the lack of use of the new user forum is a bad sign. A healthy game has an active forum. Maybe its just that the new forums fail as forums - they are not user friendly at all, just another example of CCP chasing shiny over function - or maybe its something more fundamental. I don’t know, bu the lack of use cant be good for the health of the game.

1 Like

I work a lot. Tis my excuse. Others I am unsure of.

https://meta.eveonline.com is the address for these forums during the month switch over period. In a few days, the old forums are being put into read only mode and you can expect that at some point these forums will gain the address https://forums.eveonline.com.

CCP is not supporting corporation sub forums on these new forums. There are plenty of free forums out there you’re able to use if your corporation needs a forum solution.

As to things that you think could make these forums a better place, please drop by the #feedback category. CCP Avalon, is paying attention to that category answering questions about the forums, and he has also implemented some requests such as the ‘wide screen view’ that players make in that section.

2 Likes

The old forums have quite a few issues.

1. They are not responsive, if you need to view them on a small device (laptop, tablet or cellphone) you’re not going to have a good time.

2. The database is not happy; the forums do all of the work on the back end. With the amount of data that is there the system often struggles to load anything from new posts to thread updates. To give you an example not that long ago, I was locking new threads on character bazaar and it was taking 3-5 minutes for the lock to apply after I clicked the lock button.

3. It’s too heavily integrated with both Eve and Eve Gate. Putting aside the fact that Eve Gate is somewhat redundant now days, and not in a healthy space. If either of these services go down the forums will likely go down as well.

The idea with the new forums is that because they are separate from Eve (as much as possible), they can stay up while the rest of the Eve Universe is down.

7 Likes

On the index page, you can click on the sub category to access it directly. For example, instead on clicking on General Discussion, you can click on the #general:general sub category.

1 Like

But that only applies to the index which isn’t the front page right? And the menu button for categories lacks the subs (unless I’m missing something) which means you still end up clicking back to top first. Not end of the world and not any worse than the old, but the old didn’t have the extra menu with expectations.

On the whole I haven’t found anything grossly broken just a number of detail items. Some people have a lot of issue with the mobile version, but seems ok on iPhone using more today.

In my experience, people go to forums when the game is “unhealthy”- bugged, server down, when they need to complain or have a problem etc.
When everything is “ok” people play the game and ignore forums.

Also- the widescreen mode should be the default, even on mobile.

1 Like

To be fair to CCP, the old forums really are hell on a phone. The new forums are also hell on a phone but that’s mainly because of the content, not the format.

That is something you should suggest to CCP Avalon.

In web terms the index page is the first page you go to. So without forums the index page would be https://meta.eveonline.com .

In-terms of the collapsible menu button (near your avatar on the nav bar). There are no sub categories there, in reality there are just too many to fit them on that menu.

1 Like

Rubbish, I’ve read them and posted to them over the last couple of years on my Samsung tablet with not one issue.

This was just change for the sake of it, I’m not saying that there might not have been issues with the old ones, but these were just thrown up with no thought and even less pride in doing a good job…

2 Likes

People like to complain. Yes a significant amount of forum activity relates to complaining, but underlying those complaints is “interest.” The complainers and other posters are invested in the game and they come to the forums as a reflection of their interest and investment. If nobody is posting it shows a lack of interest and investment. Also its not just here in the new forums. The old forums seem kinda dead, especially the new user forum section. For vets you might be able to explain it by reddit etc. . . But for new users? Where are the new users? Where are the alphas? It seems to me that ccp shot its wad with the ftp alpha mode and it didnt work. We are back to the same level of concurrent users as before the change. So CCP is at a cross roads, it can continue chasing the casual players that always seem just out of its grasp or it can return to its roots and try to entice the hard core vet players that have been there from the beginning and have been turned off by CCP’s new direction. The forums are just a reflection of the current health of the game and a sign of things to come.

1 Like

Dude, they absolutely suck on a phone. This is undeniable. Many people use phones for this stuff now.

2 Likes

I’ve been slow to post simply because it’s taking a while to get used to the new organization of the threads.

I’m suspecting alot of people don’t really know about the new forums. When I go to the old forums on my mobile it shows all the threads are locked and tells you to go to the new forums, but if I go to them on my laptop I can still post on them. It’s really weird.

And all these achievements for doing stuff on the new forums feels a little silly. I did the newbie achievement just to play around with it and it felt like the forums have turned into a gamification model.

I get there’s alot of technical reasons to use the new forums, but it feels like it wasn’t very well implemented. Why is C&P in General Discussion? Things like that feel really out of place.