Why do you call it "content"?

Read carefuly “content was an excuse”, now here is PA to put real content in Eve.

Hint: massive introduction of instanced PVE, so called abyssal content … :blush:

D&D still exists.

Turn off the electronics and crack open a book.
Exchange your mouse for some paper, dice, and warm bodies.
Create content.

–Gadget is partial to fantasy engineers (Who knew?!)

1 Like

THIS is content!

I actually recently started D&D and now I play with a nice party every Sunday. D&D is a content driven game, you have to practically invent a character and that character actually influences the shape of the game.

Yes that’s 100% real content.

Also D&D’s popularity has been exploding lately.

For those that have asked what is the point of this thread…I too would like to know who started referring to content (as in “let’s go looking for content”).

Obviously we’re not going to get an answer here, because clearly nobody knows.

In the absence of an answer - I will add my two cents/pence to the OP. I totally agree with him. It’s always mystified me why Eve players replaced the words “fight” “gank” and “fun” with the word content. As in “I’m looking for content” - no, you’re looking for a fight or a gank. “I’m a content creator, you’re just a krab”.

I’m interested in why they use the word content. I think it’s terminology to make them stand out as a group. A group of pvp-ers. But that’s just a guess.

It’s standard in the game industry to refer to “content releases” and “feature updates”. There’s a clear distinction between the two. A ship in eve is a piece of content. When you shoot the ship, you are using features to do so.

Back in the hey-day of Sims Online there was a big deal made about User Generated Content and how all games should let players design and release content inside a game. It builds community and engages customers yada yada. Content in this case was very specifically “assets”. That would be ships, structures, stargazes etc. in eve. Not battles.

All the arguments to place "content’ as a meaningful word that should be used to mean “fight” “gank” or “fun” seem to actually reduce the word so that it has no meaning at all.

If everything you do in the game, from undocking, to finding a target, to shooting a target is “content”, especially if it is organized by players, then…huh…everything done in the game, everything in the game and everything that will be in the game is content. And the word means nothing.

The only content creators in eve are CCP. Because we are unable to design a new ship and put it in the game. Or come up with a unique type of ammo that is player-created.

You’re not looking for content. Cuz when you log in there’s a pod sat right in front of you. That’s content.

“There’s no content left in eve because everyone drops caps”

For anyone first joining the game that would very confusing.

Which is the point. It’s just a word used to separate a group that consider themselves ‘content creators’ and have owned the expression. So now it means blowing stuff up.

I still don’t like it.

2 Likes

Tears, backstabbing, drama, wars, politics… Those are not created by devs. You remove that and there’s only shooting rocks or NPC left.

Yes please.

1 Like

Sounds fun.

You’re playing the wrong game. Go away.

2 Likes

Sandbox game, we create content for others by the actions we do ingame.

1 Like

And you will be on this forum complaining that one needs to get the special Abyssal Space SKIN from the NEX store that gives 50% damage reduction, or otherwise the sites are too hard.

273 posts before we got to this.

The fact that it’s an MMO means that my actions are content.

When I decide to go gank someone, it means that everyone else now plays in a game where ganking exists. It’s quite literally adding something that wasn’t there before.

The game now contains a thing (ganking/gankers) it did not contain before. What do you think we should call this thing that is contained by another thing?

Can’t make this any simpler. If you still disagree, take it up with the dictionary.

2 Likes

hmmm about 270 posts back someone said the exact same thing. Nobody is confused by what people mean when they say ‘content’. Just why anyone bothered labelling pvp something else when pvp is a perfectly good way of explaining your gank.

People playing eve didn’t invent pvp. But I’m pretty sure they invented this bizarre use of the word content.

That would probably be some marketing or design person. I doubt any techie would swap a vague and relatively meaningless word for another perfectly acceptable and descriptive abbreviation

1 Like

lol I’m happy with that explanation. Probably the closest to the truth we’ll get on this thread.

Ah, I see. Perhaps it’s because carebears like to paint content like ganks in a negatice light as if it substracts something from the game.
People who use the word in such a way may be on some level illustrating the fact that content like ganking actually adds to and is very good for the game.

I am personally proud that the content I create affects the game world in a much bigger/more meaningful way than just dumping my ore on the market and not talking to anyone. This difference may also be what people are pointing to when they say “I’m gonna go create some content!” before a gank.

All that said, the people whining about this sure do come off as butthurt. Shrug.

1 Like

PVP is no content…just the continuing of a given storyline or new PVE activity is worth to be called content…

A new opportunity to just shoot at one another like cavemen is just a waste of time and resources…

And this is valid for every game on the market…

Anything done by players is content…

Pvp moreso

By your metric multiplayer PvP games contain no content beyond the environment provided by the game.

Which is all kinds of wrong.

Yes mr caveman…